Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This look more RPG than MMORPG

snethsneth Member UncommonPosts: 33

where's the massive multiplayer?

Comments

• LathowLathow Member Posts: 36

ye are blind sir

An MMO Trail freak.

• zonzaizonzai Member Posts: 358

From what I understand there are hundreds of people per server.  I don't know the official definition of the term "massive" when it comes to and MMO but FF is big for sure.

Also, there is very little RPG to FF, its mostly a FPS. I would dub it an online warzone FPS rather than an MMORPG.  Honsetly, I was kind of hoping that it wouldn't end up here on mmorpg.com because it isn't really a MMORPG.

• L-CypherL-Cypher Member Posts: 1

Think of it as a MMOFPS.

• rik666rik666 Member Posts: 69

the massive multiplayer part isnt showen cuz it isnt even in alpha or anything.....

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is a good question how many players a server have to have for something to be called massive.

Biowares Neverwinter nights had persistent private servers with 128 players, did that make it a MMO or not?

128, 256 or 512 are all logical numbers, but so far have I seen no official number so if this game is a MMOFPS game or just a regular FPS or RPG game is a good question.

I think 256 is my vote for something to be called massive, but that is just me. What do you guys think?

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

it's a MMOFPS....

• LumanilLumanil Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by sneth

You should watch the gameplay-video for more than ten seconds.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Champions Online had 100 players a instance or whatever they are called on server where you have mirroered ones last I played and it is called a mmo so why people are having trouble with this I dont know.It says hundreds plural in a large persistant zone,dynamic events no lobbies so whatever you want to call it it sounds interesting.Also dont know why people having trouble either due to the fact that the developers themselves are not calling it a MMO so just wait and see its still a year off.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Originally posted by sneth

Apparently 100's of players a server.

Also devs say it is a persistant world with dynamic events going on.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

Originally posted by rik666

the massive multiplayer part isnt showen cuz it isnt even in alpha or anything.....

Go to the website and watch the dev commentary. All thro0ugh that there are other testers running about as they travel along. that is MMORPG.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

What matters most is, this game looks FUN.

Who cares if someone doesn[object Window]t want to call it an mmorpg?

And to every one of you that called this a FPS... did you not even notice it was THIRD person, not first?

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by mmogawd

Quoted for epic truth.

I can't tell you how many times I headsploded over the following exchange of words;

"this game is awesome, I haven't had this much fun in years"

"so what? It's not an MMO" *snort* /inflate_sense_of_self_satisfaction

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Seems plenty care and get too hung up on the "massively"  part of mmo, why can't people just accept that the term "mmo" doesn't need to be an exact definition, as long as it's online and there's no problem finding people to play with, what else do you really need.

Most recent example I can think of is Vindictus, can't recall how many times i've read the same complaint about being falsely advertised as an MMO, and then just proceeded to ignore what is still a fun game to play online,  all because of such a small and somewhat personal hang up over a simple word.

Guess it just comes down to some people just looking for things to nitpick about, seems to be a national(maybe even global) passtime.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Sometimes it's better not to draw any clear definition of a 'genre'. It's like music. There are many genres, and in many cases there will be disagreement on which genre one song belongs to. In my opinion, it's better to leave such grey zones in between genres to avoid putting unnecessary rules over creativity.

This being said, sometimes a website has to lay down some rules. For example for mmorpg.com:

1. One server should be able to support 500 concurrent users,

2. Game must include common areas (outside of lobbies or chat rooms)

3. Game must allow persistent characters

4. Game must allow some sort of advancement

Originally posted by Emhster

Sometimes it's better not to draw any clear definition of a 'genre'. It's like music. There are many genres, and in many cases there will be disagreement on which genre one song belongs to. In my opinion, it's better to leave such grey zones in between genres to avoid putting unnecessary rules over creativity.

This being said, sometimes a website has to lay down some rules. For example for mmorpg.com:

1. One server should be able to support 500 concurrent users,

2. Game must include common areas (outside of lobbies or chat rooms)

3. Game must allow persistent characters

4. Game must allow some sort of advancement

I always find it amusing when people "expect" a site that they dont have to pay to use to do things their way even tho its not a paid site.If it bugs you that much go get funding,make a site and make it the way you "want" it then when you are paying the salaries,and the expenses of running the business you can "lay down the rules"the way you see fit.

Originally posted by Asheram

I always find it amusing when people "expect" a site that they dont have to pay to use to do things their way even tho its not a paid site.If it bugs you that much go get funding,make a site and make it the way you "want" it then when you are paying the salaries,and the expenses of running the business you can "lay down the rules"the way you see fit.

I'm sorry, but I picked it from the FAQ. You were saying?

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I think some of you are missing the point. Some gamers are very social, despite the cliche. I'm sure the above poster and the OP are just concerned that they'll spend their time playing alone, which is clearly not fun for them. It may be fun for you regardless of that, but that doesn't mean that same definition of 'fun' will apply to everyone else.

I don't know enough about the game to say whether it's going to be more 'mmo' inclined or not - and never will since it doesn't interest me either way - but that's still something to consider.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by Emhster

I'm sorry, but I picked it from the FAQ. You were saying?

Oh wait I'm sorry I must have missed where you said you "paid" money for a subscription to the site so only the articles that you and the other "paying" subscribers want to read should be posted my bad.

Oh wait I'm sorry I must have missed where you said you "paid" money for a subscription to the site so only the articles that you and the other "paying" subscribers want to read should be posted my bad.

"what" ?

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Massively in MMO has a standard meaning value of 1000's of players in a persistant living world. Check any true MMO game's FAQ and read what they all put for their definition of what an MMO is.

When I began playing MMOs then you would be lucky to have gotten 1000 on at once. That was my first MMO many years ago... the game: Eve online. Eve online you would most likely agree is an MMO, and yet it began with less than a 1000 on at any one time, since then it has grown in population, however its basis has not changed. Was it once not a MMO???

I think a drawback is to bring numbers into it, smart developers should plan not on a big sucess, instead just aim for a success. A profit is still a profit even if a small one. I hope Red 5 goes this way.

And to every one of you that called this a FPS... did you not even notice it was THIRD person, not first?

Its both first and third person. you have the option to flip between the two. you can see it and the devs talk about it in the 10 min vid.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by immodium

Its both first and third person. you have the option to flip between the two. you can see it and the devs talk about it in the 10 min vid.

You can play WoW in first person if you want, are you going to call that a first person game too?  No.  Why?  Because that would be fucking stupid.

This is a sci-fi mmo.  Get over it.

Originally posted by immodium

You can play WoW in first person if you want, are you going to call that a first person game too?  No.  Why?  Because that would be fucking stupid.

This is a sci-fi mmo.  Get over it.

What? All I did was correct you with the your statement "did you not even notice it was THIRD person, not first?"

And people are calling it an FPS becuase it has more game mechianics relating to an FPS than RPG. Yes its an MMO, but what type of MMO is it?

• TpainTTpainT Member Posts: 31

Don't make the mistake of going to the FireFall forums and posting something about the game being a mmo; the natives come out of the woodwork with pitchforks and torches.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

This is a 3rd/1st person action shooter designed with elements from multiple other genre's including mmo, such as an open persistant world.