Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current state of the game?

JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Anyone know of any recent reviews about this? Is it still active? What's the player population like? What's the gameplay like? Pro's and con's? 

Comments

• DeathMotifDeathMotif Member CommonPosts: 9

It's still active, although I can't make any claims on the player population.  For some reason I can't get the client to run correctly on my system even after looking for the "usual suspects".  I will note that there are fewer servers running today than when I last was able to play.  That can't be a good sign.  On the other hand, Their releasing the source code couldn't have helped them much.  I just haven't had time to look through it yet.  C++ is not my preferred programming language...more of a java/C# person.

Pros: it has a unique play style.  You unlock new ships by earning badges and climbing in the ranks.  You can only control 1 ship at a time, but you can switch it out for another at a jump node.  The types of ships are quite varied.  You can pilot a simple transport vessel to move troops from one planet to another for an invasion or to strengthen defenses.  You can pilot a mining vessel to get necessary resources for your war effort.  You can pilot engineering vessels to build base structures on planets or to repair damaged members of your fleet.  You can pilot supply vessels to keep your fleet members in th fight.  Lastly, you can pilot combat vessels from tiny scouts al the way up to dreadnoughts and space stations.

Cons: it takes time to travel from one destination to another.  The interface is not the most intuitive design and has a steep learning curve.

Overall, it is a fun game, and one that deserves a second look.

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

The individual map servers were re-unified into one large metaverse server so that the players see the entire universe as one map.