Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXI Confusion

PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

I was thinking of getting FFXI, but I just noticed somethign that has me thinking nosirree. So you have to buy the copy and a sub (duh), AND pay to open up any character slots whatsoever, AND pay for their little addons (which I presume aren't covered in that Ultimate Edition on Steam which covers what, exactly?). Is this true or am I insane? Because if it is true you would have to drop like $50 to just start to play a game that's been around for X years, which is ridiculous in my eyes. Please correct me if I'm wrong because FFXI looks great, but I lack the money and the inclination to spend that much on it.

Comments

• GoronianGoronian Member Posts: 724

I think 20 bucks pretty much equal the full game at the moment. You get a feree character slot and all addons are included - you just have to enter the keys manually (and Steam provides them).

I hate WoW because it made my plush hamster kill himself, created twin clones of Hitler, punched Superboy Prime in reality, stared my dog down, spoiled my grandmother, assimilated me into the Borg, then made me into a real boy, just to make me a woman again.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Okay thanks. Can anyone else confirm the approximate price of starting FFXI off from scratch (with all addons and/or without though preferably with)?

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

The FINAL FANTASY XI ULTIMATE COLLECTION on steam is 9.99$ and you get everything (expension and addon scenario), you will get your free 30 day.

In short, for 9.99$ you can play right away. After the the free 30 days you will have to paid the regular 12.99$ per month wich include 1 slot character. If you want more slot characters you will have to paid 1.50$ each slot additional.

In your free 30 day you can activate any character slot you want.. free of charge, just make sure to canceled them if you dont want them at the end of the month.

But you have to buy the three Abyssea addons which are $10 each yes?

If you want them yes there are not in the ultimate package.. But you dont have to buy them right away, the addon are just more quest for more gear and believe me with the ultimate package you have a lots and a lots of thing to do. You dont need them right away. FFXI is extremly big in term of contents. You could begin today and play 40 hours a week for a year and still, you will not have explore all content.

So my advice just buy the ultimate content first to see if you like the game and if you really want all the addons just buy them 1 at time. I even dont have any scenario addon and i dont need them for now.

Okay fantastic. Thanks much for the help! Care to recommend a server and/or ls?

Well i cant really help you there since i play on gilgamesh server with a french LS but you can find somes LS there:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/74/view/forums/forum/500/Looking-For-Linkshells.html

Hope you will find what you seek.

Alrighty then. Thank you so much for your help!

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by atticusbc

But you have to buy the three Abyssea addons which are $10 each yes?

Do not bother buying those until you actually get high enough in level to do them. If you find out the game isn't for you halfway through, thats a wasted 30 bucks.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

That's what I figured, but the information that I was getting before posting this thread was confusing me (obviously :P). But thanks for the advice!

• TONYYYTONYYY Member Posts: 27

How have you enjoyed FFXI so far?