Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The First Mortal Online Epic Mob?

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

SV had planned to include epic mobs - unique, GM/dev controlled mobs that once killed in-game would never come back - into MO for some time.

Today, a giant vulture-like mob has been seen for the first time in-game, and it's pretty cool.

Here is a screenshot and links to a couple of videos of the creature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72n3GgowH2Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_9P-PKCdbM

Here are a couple of threads from the official forum discussing the new arrival:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/55817-huge-flippin-bird-over-fab-end-world.html#post1058462

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/53685-new-enter-site-screen-13.html#post1058452

And here's a link to a post where someone has done some research on the syenah (if that's what this is):

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/53685-new-enter-site-screen-5.html#post1027371

If this actually is the epic mob, this could be a very interesting time for MO.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• thorppesthorppes Member Posts: 452

Interesting, I wonder when it will strike!

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664

Why are we saying Griffen or Hawk when it really looks like a Giant Vulture! 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Joker2240

Why are we saying Griffen or Hawk when it really looks like a Giant Vulture! 

You're right, it does look a lot like a vulture of some sort.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Cool, thats awesome! Would be sweet if it dropped down and grabbed random people and let them go high up in the air, but that would be kinda harsh for a full loot MMO? atleast if its just random and out of your controll and nothing you can do about it. Would still be awesome tough :p

I really wanna play this game, the setting, ruleset and everything is so awesome! But its still not anywhere near as polished as it should be, and very low on content :(

I did buy the game waaay back the first day they started selling it, played since Block A and up until the first free month. Still having hopes that it will one day become the game it was set out too be and get a decent playerbase eventually.

We'll see.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• maharetmaharet Member Posts: 115

Actually wasnt the Kimaru the first epic mob?

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

That's nice to see. . and well timed since everyone subscribers and past get 7 free days :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by maharet

Actually wasnt the Kimaru the first epic mob?

I believe thay classified that as a boss-type, not epic.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Woho, a flying chicken.. funny how easily some people forget all the crap SV beeing throwing at them past months and focus on new toy :P

Nonetheless, will be interesting to see what this will lead to..

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

I think flying players are more impressive, but the super chicken should be a nice little distraction. image

I win!!! LOL@U

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

I just saw this giant vulture ingame, looks really cool and powerful when it's passes by. Lets see what cool monsters SV is going to add in this coming monster pack! image

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Are those texture on the bird pixelated?  like they just took a model of a random bird and increase the size 30 fold?

• maharetmaharet Member Posts: 115

Originally posted by gotha

Are those texture on the bird pixelated?  like they just took a model of a random bird and increase the size 30 fold?

I saw it today pretty close flyover in fab the SS I took was crappy, I will try to get another one.  But yes the gprahics look terrible and the animation is verdy crappy.  Also you can not target it.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Originally posted by maharet

Originally posted by gotha

I saw it today pretty close flyover in fab the SS I took was crappy, I will try to get another one.  But yes the gprahics look terrible and the animation is verdy crappy.  Also you can not target it.

So.. are you saying that despite all these posts screaming "WE FINALLY GOT AN EPIC MOB"... all it really is... is some sort of background graphic in the skybox?  Like the moon?

It hasn't actually attacked anyone... been attacked... or interacted with in any way?!?!

And this is worthy of discussion?  Wow..   I mean.. even DAoC had dragons that would fly over you.. and even stop and kill you too... and that was almost a decade ago.  As far as them being GM controlled... great feature.. loved it in Shadowbane..  7 years ago but that isn't even what has happened here.  All we have here is a non-interactive graphic that passes overhead.    Just wait until the creature is actually spawned.  You think the epic "GM's play favorites" threads are good now, wait until these babies hit the scene...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

yea basically nobody has said this is actually an epic mob except for the people in this thread. As far as i know its simply flies around and has been sighted a few times possibly dev controlled but probably on a scripted path. The bird relates to the latest candle in the lore puzzle and only can be specualted at as to what the bird will actually do. Chnaces are thoguh we will find out with the inclusion of the pve patch and the burning out of the candle.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242

I can see it now. The bird lands and attacks, but due to a bug, exploit or oversight on the devs part, the bird starts getting hammered by the players. Suddenly the bird turns yellow and despawns. Next day henrik says that the players weren't doing it properly, a couple of people are banned then swiftly unbanned for complaining.

Originally posted by deathshroud

.As far as i know its simply flies around and has been sighted a few times possibly dev controlled but probably on a scripted path.

I sure hope it isnt Dev controlled, they have better things to be doing than cruising around as a giant pigeon.image

I win!!! LOL@U

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

So.. are you saying that despite all these posts screaming "WE FINALLY GOT AN EPIC MOB"... all it really is... is some sort of background graphic in the skybox?  Like the moon?

It hasn't actually attacked anyone... been attacked... or interacted with in any way?!?!

MO also has a plethora of "Epic" ......trees ! image  You can at least interact with them and theyre big.

I win!!! LOL@U

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

Originally posted by HanoverZ

.As far as i know its simply flies around and has been sighted a few times possibly dev controlled but probably on a scripted path.

I sure hope it isnt Dev controlled, they have better things to be doing than cruising around as a giant pigeon.

Given the amount of time they have already spent crapping on their playerbase, you can at least be certain they would play the part convincingly.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

Originally posted by Grunties

Originally posted by HanoverZ

I sure hope it isnt Dev controlled, they have better things to be doing than cruising around as a giant pigeon.

Given the amount of time they have already spent crapping on their playerbase, you can at least be certain they would play the part convincingly.

HaHa....since the bird doesnt actually do anything, guess it wouldnt be a stretch.

I win!!! LOL@U

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

I figured this bird was only scripted to fly around.

Originally posted by SlyLoK

I figured this bird was only scripted to fly around.

It is...

But, alluding to "Epic" and "Developer Controlled" generates more hype.

I win!!! LOL@U

• jimbo775jimbo775 Member Posts: 30

The problem, ontop of the devs' lack of programming skills and knowledge on the unreal engine, was always this.

Constantly postponing the fixing of gamebreaking bugs and issues to work on eye candy, on fluff like a fucking vulture gliding in the sky, or like fishing.

Their are trying to build a house from the roof.

Mortal Online is like a prostitute that tells you she loves you so she can get more money out of your horny pocket.