Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibility of a PVP server?

LittlebombLittlebomb Member Posts: 152

I am a big fan of open world pvp. It nearly tore my heart out when WAR shut down the pvp servers (even though no one ever fought outside the lakes). I loved playing WOW back in the day and questing only to wander across a player with his back turned towards me. In my opinion if a game has open world pvp with very limited stealth it would be the best thing since sliced bread. (WOW rogues are what finally got me to unsubbed a couple of years ago.)

Does anyone who is familiar with arenanet know whether they might have a couple of open world pvp servers? 

And do all the races of GW2 get along with each other? Do Charr fight alongside humans? If so how would you even have pvp if every race is friendly towards one another.

Is this even a possiblity?

Comments

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

From what we know so far, there will absolutely be no PvP server at launch.

But if you are interested, you could read up interviews and blogs about the Mist.

The Mist is basically a PvE world, with dynamic events, NPC's, towns and everything... except players in there can PvP. The map is a very large open world, with each team holding at least one castle. I won't get into objectives, as it seem you are more into just fun killing. The Mist battles are supposed to be huge and chaotic (interviews have exampled the player limit to be 300v300v300 and some have stated it being unlimited,) so it would be quite easy to find someone with their backs turned to you.

It would appear that what you want from ganking can also be translated into Mist battles. Since there is only one battle per server, everyone of all levels will be forced to join. That means, you could find people of much lower levels to kill. You could also just as easily form a small team and kill enemies who are playing solo.

Edit: All the races are on "truce" terms. Most Charr hate Humans and what not, but they are allying for a bigger cause. So there are no PvPing inside PvE zones. The Mist is pretty much a corrupted hell where everything is nothing and nothing is everything. I guess nothing makes sense there, and so each world battles another parrallel world. - That isn't official word, but that is sort of what the Mist ends up being.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

If you wanna gank, you will be able to in the Mists. Open PvP, in normal PvE areas wouldn't make a bit of sense due to the lore so I can almost promise you it won't be included.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Here's a link that expands upon what BlahTeeb just posted. If The Mist does not satisfy any of the open-world PvP lovers, then just look for another game. I hear WoW has open-world PvP. ^_^

• LittlebombLittlebomb Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by Master10K

Here's a link that expands upon what BlahTeeb just posted. If The Mist does not satisfy any of the open-world PvP lovers, then just look for another game. I hear WoW has open-world PvP. ^_^

Thanks for the link. I would sooner suck a Tauren off then ever resubb for WOW. I am constantly considering resubbing for WAR, but the games engine is just horrible. (whoever thought the fallout engine would be good for a mmo should be hung)

Thanks again. And the "Mists" sounds fricking awesome. It sounds like tons of fun for open pvp. 

Me thinks I'm going to play an elementalist.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by Master10K

The only downside to The Mist as I see it is that race doesnt matter. I think one of the problems for generic world FFA pvp is that you can never tell who is ally and who is friend, nor does their race factor into the lore and reasoning for fighting. When you give race/species meaning and the desire to fight for that species, you essentially give PvE reasons for fighting the good fight. 

Either way, I am interested in seeing how Arena Net takes this type of large scale pvp and builds upon it. I predict some future expansion will include world pvp but in certain regions flagged for it, much like the mist but more or less free form. Options are never a bad thing to have.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

No, only certain areas will be PvP.

But with the mists large open PvP, Arenas and Guild vs Guild sieges I think there will be more than enough PvP for any players.

ANET believe that PvP only servers gets unbalanced and griefed a lot. Havintg dedicated PvP areas with open rewards is more their style but you can level your character all the way in PvP so it shouldn't be a problem unless you want to grief as many noobs as possible, you can't.

I doubt they will add full PvP servers later unless a lot of people demands it but you never know of course.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

The only downside to The Mist as I see it is that race doesnt matter. I think one of the problems for generic world FFA pvp is that you can never tell who is ally and who is friend, nor does their race factor into the lore and reasoning for fighting. When you give race/species meaning and the desire to fight for that species, you essentially give PvE reasons for fighting the good fight. 

Either way, I am interested in seeing how Arena Net takes this type of large scale pvp and builds upon it. I predict some future expansion will include world pvp but in certain regions flagged for it, much like the mist but more or less free form. Options are never a bad thing to have.

Agreed but the problem is that the whole story for the first GW2 part at least is all races working together. Once the first expansion comes out things might be different of course.

Maybe they release something similar to Factions where they have sides fighting with their own armor sets and so on, they have done it before. That might or might not include specific races, we just have to see and wait.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Rabenwolf
    Here's a link The only downside to The Mist as I see it is that race doesnt matter. I think one of the problems for generic world FFA pvp is that you can never tell who is ally and who is friend, nor does their race factor into the lore and reasoning for fighting. When you give race/species meaning and the desire to fight for that species, you essentially give PvE reasons for fighting the good fight. 

I believe they have already mentioned that the battle for the Mists will result in advantages for that server, could be things like drop rates increasing or NPC merchant prices being reduced for the winning server. I agree that there needs to be an incentive a little above and beyond server pride to encourage PvE players to participate. I'm not a PvP player but I did enjoy mass PvP in Aion, for that reason I can't wait for the Mists. When PvP is purely concensual and you have to actively make the decision to get involved it's more likely to attract those who wouldn't normally roll on a PvP server, they know they can get out when it gets too much.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Well as I remember the devs said quite clearly that there is going to be NO PvP server... FFA PvP would completely mess up their prized dynamic event system.

However, as above posters said, you have the Mists...

GW2 promises to challenge quite a few MMO givens. According to the old EQ/WoW paradigm you could say that there is no open PvP and no factions in GW2. On the other hand the way the game is set up in quite a novel way you could also say that in GW2 you have 2 servers for each character to use as desired - one is open PvP, the Mists and the other one is "base" PvE one... In addition the folks that you play with in the PvE part of the world are your "faction" - your allies in the Mists. So imo it is quite dangerous to casually throw around old EQ/WoW based labels because GW2 very openly strives to dispense with quite a few of them.

In another example, remember the whole "no dedicated healer class" ruckus? - notice it DOESN'T say "no healing" or even "no healers" and yet everybody started panicking and interpreting this very specific statement in quite general and inaccurate terms. Yes, there is healing in GW2 and yes there are "healers" in GW2.... but there is no "dedicated healing class" because GW2 classes are quite flexible and many of them can take over the support role by adopting a certain specialization or simply playstyle.

As ANet's stated intention is, they are trying to create a new MMO paradigm, so be careful with simple labeling and sweeping categorizations.

They stated repeatedly that you can level and spend your whole playing time in the Mists only - so there is your open PvP game right there. You don't have to set foot in the PvE part of the world and you can even pretend it doesn't exist if you prefer your PvP open and bloody.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

WvWvW will be the answer for everyone that truely loves open world PvP but somehow hates ganking....

There is no use in this game for FFA PvP.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)