Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are my settings enough to run darkfall decently?

ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

AMD phenom 8750 triple core,3GB RAM, nvidia geforce 210 (1gb memory size,idk if this really counts).Those are the main settings.I'm thinking of buying the game but i don't know if it will run decently.I also wanted to give the trial a go but for some reason i can't log in with a trial account.

If these aren't enough,please let me know what i should replace,and what to replace it with,something that would run the game decently.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

If you're much of a gamer, you should try getting a decent video card.  You've got a low end "don't try to play games on this" card.  I don't know how demanding Darkfall in particular is.  But the video performance from your card is only roughly competitive with some of the newer integrated graphics that either recently launched or will launch in the very near future.  That level of performance isn't suitable for gaming.

A video card that is passable for gaming use doesn't have to be that expensive.  See these, for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150452

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102870

The first of those has six times the shaders, four times the TMUs, and more than six times the memory bandwidth of your card.  The second card is generally faster than the first, but a totally different architecture, so it really isn't comparable on specs.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

is there a big difference between 512 MB and 1024 MB when it comes to graphic cards?

• 2can2can Member Posts: 57

why cant you login? the best way to check will be to run the trial.. try sending a support ticket on the main website

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Originally posted by Zadawn

is there a big difference between 512 MB and 1024 MB when it comes to graphic cards?

It depends on your monitor resolution and how high of graphical settings you want to run.  On a higher end card, having 1 GB is a lot better than having 512 MB, as the latter may not be enough for settings that the card could otherwise handle.  On a low end card that would be reduced to a slideshow even with infinite memory at any settings where 512 MB isn't enough, no, it doesn't make a bit of difference.

Think of it as being kind of like the parking lot capacity for a business.  For a large mall, the difference between 512 parking spots and 1024 is huge, as if the mall only has 512, it will end up turning losing customers who think it's too much of a pain to find a spot.  For a large enough mall, even 1024 may not be enough.  For a small convenience store, there's no advantage to having 1024 spots over 512, and even 512 is kind of ridiculous.

The main reason to put more than 512 MB on a low end card such as yours is to try to trick people who don't know any better into thinking it's a great card.  Some OEMs such as Dell or HP love doing this, and will sometimes even get low end cards with more than 1 GB.  They'll similarly try to sell you enormous amounts of memory capacity (this is the most common reason to put more than 4 GB of system memory in a system, though there are also some legitimate reasons to do so), and an enormous but very slow hard drive.  The specs they'll push people toward are what they've figured out will convince clueless people to buy the system, and not what actually makes for a good system.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

You want at least 1024MB RAM on a video card.

If you are one of those players who plan on playing a game at 1024x768 or 1280x720 at minimum settings, with your operating system at minimum settings, then yeah....you can run at 512MB RAM. If you play MMORPGs, one of the major problems is frequent loading of texture packages. While the game runs, some games apply Garbage Collection, others do not.

Also, if the game you love ever gets a bloated update, then you may find yourself on the short end of the stick. Trust me, You'll see it...when a game is released and you beat the requirements...and then an expansion comes out, you go out and buy it, install it and then find that the game now requires a lot more....and find yourself falling short all over the place.

Always buy for longevity vs the quick fix when it comes to computer parts.