Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delusional?

Comments

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

People in general will believe what they want to . Its not hard to believe there are people who believe so much in MO they support it blindingly when there are plenty of other examples like people paying money for a bracelet that makes them stronger. http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/food-and-health/diet-and-exercise/exercise-equipment/power%20balance%20quick%20review/page/introduction.aspx

• QunitillianQunitillian Member Posts: 99

haha, great post kakasaki!

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by Qunitillian

image  Im still laughing

I win!!! LOL@U

• BonemailBonemail Member Posts: 11

I am sorry but I understand where these guys are coming from. Me and my friend would go months at a time not playing DAoC but still paying the subs hoping the changes everyone was asking for would be made. Then you take in how unique MO is (like it or not) and you have a community of gamers that love the concept but see failed execution. They just love the concept so much that they see the money as a worth while expense to eventually see the concept come to it's full potential. You can agree or disagree with them doing it but at lest understand their motives.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

This is scary; borderline Cult behavior. Unfortunately it has a lot to do with SV and their preaching about how the Indie scene will die if you don't support MO and what it stands for. *sigh*. Makes me sick to my stomach to read this stuff.

Off-Topic: Change your title. Seriously!

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Honestly I don't want to tell people how to spend their money any more than I want those same people ragging on me for playing games like LOTRO, or TOR (when it releases).  So I'm not going to criticise them accept to say, which I'm sure some have pointed out that these types of fans contribute too greatly to the lack of quality releases mmorpg's make.

Some people unfortunately believe far too much in the "labels" we place on things and as such they can't see that an mmorpg is really just a video game.  Now who would go buy a pc or a console game that you knew was going to be crap?  Or better yet go buy a cd by an artist where you know every song sucked simply because he promises he will sell you something better next time.

I love video games and mmorpg's are one of my favorite genre's but at the end of the day it is still simply a hobby for me.  I'm just not the type of person interested in making that kind of investment in this industry.  But again if this makes them feel good then I'm hardly the person to tell them they cannot do it.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

Unfortunately it has a lot to do with SV and their preaching about how the Indie scene will die if you don't support MO and what it stands for.

I almost forgot about Henriks laughable statement and how it might influence some.

I win!!! LOL@U

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Originally posted by HanoverZ

Unfortunately it has a lot to do with SV and their preaching about how the Indie scene will die if you don't support MO and what it stands for.

I almost forgot about Henriks laughable statement and how it might influence some.

There's a lot of.. *ahem* "strange" people out there with regards to Indie Developers. Take Minecraft for instance. Post anything negative about that and you'll be swarmed by an angry mob in no time flat. The Indie Development scene has become something of an excuse to developers now. And it's not just MO. Using Minecraft as an example again, you can see the creator has posted several blog updates with things such as "Being an indie developer is hard" or "No updates today I have a life I have to take care of".

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • xlivetomxlivetom Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Qunitillian

image  Im still laughing

lmao same

i forgot about that statement about how if you dont support MO sandbox games are finished

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I watch the NFL.. My team is 1-9.. I am a diehard fan who still pays money to go to the games on sundays, giving money to the organization through tickets and merchandise.. There are many many people who do this, does that make us a cult?

To have hope is a sign of strength.. No matter how bad it may seem to everyone else who would rather give up hope as soon as the first sign of water shows up.. You support what you like, even if you do not agree with its current situation or direction, or even if it is he absolute worst at what it does..

If they want to support the game, so freakin what? Who knows, maybe that 15 bucks a month goes a long way to keeping that game running and further development..

Maybe one day it'll make a comeback... Anything can happen..

Originally posted by Vyeth

I watch the NFL.. My team is 1-9.. I am a diehard fan who still pays money to go to the games on sundays, giving money to the organization through tickets and merchandise.. There are many many people who do this, does that make us a cult?

To have hope is a sign of strength.. No matter how bad it may seem to everyone else who would rather give up hope as soon as the first sign of water shows up.. You support what you like, even if you do not agree with its current situation or direction, or even if it is he absolute worst at what it does..

If they want to support the game, so freakin what? Who knows, maybe that 15 bucks a month goes a long way to keeping that game running and further development..

gaming and sports are different period

• QunitillianQunitillian Member Posts: 99

Next you will be telling me that God exists! Sorry, I could not resist. Seriously though, you are comparing apples and oranges.
  • linksalulinksalu Member Posts: 38

That analogy doesn't work.

As crappy as your team is, at least you're going to the football game. In the same way, most people subscribe to a game and then play it, even if the rest of the world thinks it's godawful. BUT AT LEAST THEY'RE PLAYING IT. This isn't the case here.

A better analogy would be: You watch the NFL. Your team is 1-9. You're a diehard fan who still pays money to buy an empty seat in the stadium on Sundays, one you have no intention of sitting in. Or if you want to be ultra-crazy, just send the team manager a check for the price of the ticket (that way the stadium won't take a cut!) Who knows, your team might magically get better.

See how your original analogy is how a sane person operates and how the latter is slightly insane?

Originally posted by geldonyetich

Wow, I knew you guys were pretty desparate to slam the game, but hacking the web page of a major game site so a user review masquarades as an official one? Pretty impressive.

[Edit: no, after seeing there's an actual video associated with it, I guess not, despite the wierd way GameSpot distributes its content making it looks like the reviewer didn't even write this.]

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

i would gladly play another MMO if someone can recommned a better one with the similar features? however i have already tried the following...

UO

SWG

EQ2

EVE

AO

AOC

it isnt that MO is better made, better supported or better overall than any of those. Its the fact that its features are something the fanbase want in an MMO. However the majority would abandon MO should a better one came along but there isnt  better one. UO is a great game and so is EVE but after months of eve i decided it just wasnt for me. UO is probably the best mmo ever made but its old hat now. EQ2 and AOC made me realise level grinding isnt much fun and so WOW became a no go area for me especially since i have heard so many bad things about it and the art direction i dislike.

Im more than prepared to take bugs and glitches, crashes and hickups provided the direction the mmo is going in is something i want to see. Im a long for the ride and its a bumpy one but there aint no other like it.

and dont even mention xsyon or darkfall :)

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• maharetmaharet Member Posts: 115

Originally posted by deathshroud

i would gladly play another MMO if someone can recommned a better one with the similar features? however i have already tried the following...

UO

SWG

EQ2

EVE

AO

AOC

it isnt that MO is better made, better supported or better overall than any of those. Its the fact that its features are something the fanbase want in an MMO. However the majority would abandon MO should a better one came along but there isnt  better one. UO is a great game and so is EVE but after months of eve i decided it just wasnt for me. UO is probably the best mmo ever made but its old hat now. EQ2 and AOC made me realise level grinding isnt much fun and so WOW became a no go area for me especially since i have heard so many bad things about it and the art direction i dislike.

Im more than prepared to take bugs and glitches, crashes and hickups provided the direction the mmo is going in is something i want to see. Im a long for the ride and its a bumpy one but there aint no other like it.

The problem is the "features" you speak of ar half done or mythic. 

i would gladly play another MMO if someone can recommned a better one with the similar features?

Here ya go :  http://www.darkandlight.com/en/

back on topic... 

I really dont care how people spend THEIR money, it just shows to what lengths these "fans" will go to further MO and its development. 

I win!!! LOL@U

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Just curious: why not?

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

i would gladly play another MMO if someone can recommned a better one with the similar features?

Here ya go :  http://www.darkandlight.com/en/

back on topic... 

I really dont care how people spend THEIR money, it just shows to what lengths these "fans" will go to further MO and its development. 

How about a current one ? Or perhaps one that actually has similar features features?

http://www.darkandlight.com/en/thegame/classes/ (i.e. class and level vs. MO's skill based system)

Mortal online may not have been the highest rated MMO, it has clearly performed better.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/mortalonline/review.html

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/darkandlight/index.html

Originally posted by xBludx

and dont even mention xsyon--------- or darkfall :)

Just curious: why not?

Xsyon-in development   Darkfall--anyone playing MO has already considered and rejected DF

Originally posted by linksalu

That analogy doesn't work.

As crappy as your team is, at least you're going to the football game. In the same way, most people subscribe to a game and then play it, even if the rest of the world thinks it's godawful. BUT AT LEAST THEY'RE PLAYING IT. This isn't the case here.

A better analogy would be: You watch the NFL. Your team is 1-9. You're a diehard fan who still pays money to buy an empty seat in the stadium on Sundays, one you have no intention of sitting in. Or if you want to be ultra-crazy, just send the team manager a check for the price of the ticket (that way the stadium won't take a cut!) Who knows, your team might magically get better.

See how your original analogy is how a sane person operates and how the latter is slightly insane?

I agree with your point of the situations being different because of the actual "usage" of the product, but the point I was trying to illustrate is that when people have a little hope that things could get better, even if it currently shows absolutely no signs, giving support is not a "crazy" thing to do.. I mean yeah, we can sit here and get technical saying things like "well why dont he just send a check to ... this guy... or that guy", but that is not how the system is working here. Now if they had a paypal donate button on their website than I suppose this person could have just donated 15 bucks a month through that system than subscribing if he had no intention of playing..

"“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”" -Oscar Wilde

• pigandforkspigandforks Member Posts: 17

If people want to go above and beyond to support a game,  that is up to them.  I personaly wouldn't go as far as some of these people, but I respect their choice to do so.  Are they really any different than people who buy a new Dynasty Warriors every 5 minutes (or how ever long it takes to make one) or a new Call of Duty (yeah I went there). Let people do what they want to do.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

I don't know, perhaps a matter of opinion OP. I mean, hey, with the gaming's largest sub numbers (WOW) I have yet passed a day where I have not seen a post indicating the game sucks but people buy and play it. I will not go into the FF14 situation least to say that people are still playing it. Then there is the crash and burn of Darkfall yet, people still play it. In fact, which game on the market has not been belittled and...people still plaly it. What makes MO any different?

• thomx2cthomx2c Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by seabeast

I don't know, perhaps a matter of opinion OP. I mean, hey, with the gaming's largest sub numbers (WOW) I have yet passed a day where I have not seen a post indicating the game sucks but people buy and play it. I will not go into the FF14 situation least to say that people are still playing it. Then there is the crash and burn of Darkfall yet, people still play it. In fact, which game on the market has not been belittled and...people still plaly it. What makes MO any different?

The only people now who buy and play it are the hardcore guys who have been there from the start. At least darkfall bounced back from problems on the launch day and is now a good game. 

Originally posted by thomx2c

Originally posted by seabeast

The only people now who buy and play it are the hardcore guys who have been there from the start. At least darkfall bounced back from problems on the launch day and is now a good game. 

Might have to add this to my signiture... Ya know, for when those rainy days happen and people start crying again..

• Andreas1005Andreas1005 Member Posts: 17

i play the game, and enjoy it quite alot actually