Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat?

RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

How is really the combat in Swtor? If we take a typical example of melee vs. melee how would it roll out?

I thought it would be like a traditional MMO, but after watching some videos with the lightsaber clashing, the synchronized animations and the whole dueling atmosphere it reminded me of kotor.

Comments

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Realistically, it'll be like a traditional MMO (for instance, stats determine how much damage you do and how much you take, etc.) However, BioWare has made the animations more realistic, especially for lightsaber combat, but still expect to see 2-3 good hits taken before someone dies because, again, this is an MMO. 2-3 good hits while the rest are all blocks, dodges, or parries.

Now if they could only work on blaster firing/impact animations, which are the less polished ones.

• domecrusherdomecrusher Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by Comnitus

Realistically, it'll be like a traditional MMO (for instance, stats determine how much damage you do and how much you take, etc.) However, BioWare has made the animations more realistic, especially for lightsaber combat, but still expect to see 2-3 good hits taken before someone dies because, again, this is an MMO. 2-3 good hits while the rest are all blocks, dodges, or parries.

Now if they could only work on blaster firing/impact animations, which are the less polished ones.

there's really not much you can explore with blaster firing animations, i would think, because it's so much more simplistic than sword fighting. i mean you could have a hip shot or take a knee, but there's really not much else to explore. however in one of the combat videos i saw a trooper get shot in the shoulder and he reacted just as you would expect when getting shot. his body reacted in a way that i thought was very convincing. nevertheless i suspect the light saber combat will be the most technically satisfying visual experience. the troopers and bounty hunters might not have the smooth pirouettes, fluid dodges, or masterful parries like the jedi or sith, but hey, they get to make big fucking explosions.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

Originally posted by domecrusher

Originally posted by Comnitus

there's really not much you can explore with blaster firing animations, i would think, because it's so much more simplistic than sword fighting. i mean you could have a hip shot or take a knee, but there's really not much else to explore. however in one of the combat videos i saw a trooper get shot in the shoulder and he reacted just as you would expect when getting shot. his body reacted in a way that i thought was very convincing. nevertheless i suspect the light saber combat will be the most technically satisfying visual experience. the troopers and bounty hunters might not have the smooth pirouettes, fluid dodges, or masterful parries like the jedi or sith, but hey, they get to make big fucking explosions.

You can do a lot of stuff with the animation on impacts, dodges, glancing blows, etc.