Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion's 2.1 Patch is set to increase loot drop rates. What does this mean for the grind?

NateArcadeNateArcade Member UncommonPosts: 83

I'm looking to get into Aion as it's new, fairly well-populated (or so i've heard), and PvP oriented. The only roadblock, and i'm sure i'm not alone here, is the PvE grind. Will increased drop rates cut out some of the grind by helping players become more powerful more quickly?

source: http://www.massively.com/2010/11/11/ncsoft-reveals-juicy-details-on-aion-2-1-item-drop-rates-substa/

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Means you will actually have to grind longer because now your bags will fill up faster with vendor trash...

Edit: OH!!!! The drops on the armor sets and stuff? man i need to sleep im retarded right now...

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Originally posted by funkeemonk

I'm looking to get into Aion as it's new, fairly well-populated (or so i've heard), and PvP oriented. The only roadblock, and i'm sure i'm not alone here, is the PvE grind. Will increased drop rates cut out some of the grind by helping players become more powerful more quickly?

source: http://www.massively.com/2010/11/11/ncsoft-reveals-juicy-details-on-aion-2-1-item-drop-rates-substa/

Some? It will reduce the time it takes to gear up by a lot.

Check here for some more notable differences, based on 20 runs of the instances tested before and after the patch.

http://powerwiki.na.aiononline.com/aion/Victor+Shugo%E2%80%99s+Research:++Item+Drop+Rates+in+Patch+2.1

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by EricDanie

Originally posted by funkeemonk

Some? It will reduce the time it takes to gear up by a lot.

Check here for some more notable differences, based on 20 runs of the instances tested before and after the patch.

http://powerwiki.na.aiononline.com/aion/Victor+Shugo%E2%80%99s+Research:++Item+Drop+Rates+in+Patch+2.1

Wow after playing Aion this morning.just questing alone I got 4 drops off of regular mobs. Its definitly going to pick things up!

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

This was a necessary fix.  This change makes the game better / easier for 3 reasons.  One, there will be more avaialble crafting and drops in general for sale which will drive down the prices.  Second, more crafting mats will become available which drives prices down as well.  Third, mobs, etc drop more kinah(and more drops in general to make money) so people leveling will have more money to spend on gear / upgrades whereas before they couldnt do that.  So with prices of stuff coming down and players making more money stuff becomes much more affordable. 

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

If you're only going to PVE, then yeah, this will be a good way to progress your character, but if you plan to PVP, you are going to be murdered by anyone who grinded and got their PVP gear. The difference between someone wearing all PVP golds with a 50 elite weapon and a person wearing PVE golds is huge. Your only option would be to die or run. Skill is no longer a role at that point. The only exception here is weapons, and even then you merge your PVE weapon with a PVP weapon.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

This patch has went overboard. The game needed to be tweaked not turned into WOW.. I have recieved 4 golds in the last 3 nights. Sure its great getting good gear. But I like to feel like I actually achieve something not like it is being given to me. Which is exactly what the game is like now.

And by the way PVE gear is effective still in PVP... to say its not is just retarded. Yes PVP will give PVP bonuses that doesnt make PVE gear useless.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by cybertrucker

This patch has went overboard. The game needed to be tweaked not turned into WOW.. I have recieved 4 golds in the last 3 nights. Sure its great getting good gear. But I like to feel like I actually achieve something not like it is being given to me. Which is exactly what the game is like now.

And by the way PVE gear is effective still in PVP... to say its not is just retarded. Yes PVP will give PVP bonuses that doesnt make PVE gear useless.

I think that making the drop rate better allowes for people to stop worrying about gear and focus on the fun of the game. Plus the game is still not WOW...the leveling is still longer and the PVP (despite what people say) can still be more skill based than WOW. The drop rate will hurt the armor and weapon economy since is cheaper to wait for a drop than farm the mats.