Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one who found this mmo lacking variety of skills to use and unstylish?

Comments

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

A majority of the armors are 'unstylish' but I think that's partially why there are cosmetic items in game. As far as the skills, it seems to be par for the course to me.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

No, you are not the only one. This game is as shallow as a cesspool and just as interesting. No way it is worthy the IP.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Alot of people think reading the Lord of the rings is boring, it's just not for them

LotrO catches the spirit of the books imo and I can understand that some people think its boring. The game was not made for them.

Some people think that Lotr is some epic hack and slash story about great battles (maybe because of the movies?) and thats why they are dissapointed.

I found that the skills and classes are alot more fun and varied than for example WoW or EQ2 where I was just spamming a few buttons over and over.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

The classes match the IP (mostly).

Honestly the classes are just odd if your coming into lotro from a normal mmorpg.

When I first tried Lotro I came from WoW and i uninstalled after getting every class to level 5 lol.

One of my main reasons for leaving was that the game just didnt have any iconic, bad ass looking classes.

They were all freaking happy looking. There was no Necro, no cool shapeshifting druid, no bad ass heavily armored Paladin...

I asked myself "Where the fuck are the awesome classes??????"

It took me years to give lotro another go and when I did it clicked.

I rolled a Guardian (you can't go wrong with a basic tank class like the guard) and through my little dwarven compadre my eyes were finally opened.

You have to accept the IP, This game is just different when it comes to classes...

Classes like the Mini, LM, RK, Burg, Cappy, & Ward are so far out there that the only way you could even appreciate them is by just accepting that what your used to in other games simply doesnt exist in the same way in this game.

Once I did that i was good.

Oh and OP, No the classes arent limited their just fucking Odd  lol!

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• NamkoNamko Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by EverSkelly

well, no wonder it went "free to play". It's a dull, boring game.

I remember i tried to like it, but couldn't even play my free trial more than 2 days.

More then 2days? I wonder how far you got...

Ofc a mmorpg is pretty boring if you even haven't passed lvl10.

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SandyBrown"]Lotro:[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Wheat"]Rolhad[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Wheat"]The Nine[/COLOR] - [COLOR="Wheat"]Evernight[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I think it has just enough skills...at least with the classes I've played so far...lore keeper..burg and hunter. I like that I am not inundated with shite-loads of skills..most of which I will forget about or not use because another skill works just as well or better. I run into to this problem with other games. Just enough variety here though,imo. Combat could be a little more involved and smoother..but over all..I like the system. Especially with all the class/legendary/race/general traits and skills both passive and active that you can accumulate through deeds then assign as you need them...for general questing or per raid/dungeon..etc. Not to mention the extra buffs and abilities you can get with fellowship/grouping in skirmishes/raids.

As for style..combat or character looks? Not sure what you mean. If by the style of combat...then yes..it is a bit clunky and slow still but miles better than a few years ago. If you mean character models..the models themselves could move better. As for looks...with the wardrobe system...gear drops..outfitters and Store cosmetics...as well as access to dyes. You can make your toons look pretty much as you want as far as gear goes. I still wish the character creation system were more detailed to start but overall...I'm happy with the customization options after initial creation..

My main pet peave is the choppy rendering of the environment...trees appearing out of nowhere and surrounding terrain warping several times as you approach. Wish terrain generation was a bit more smooth. Darkfall has an amazingly smooth engine when it comes to this....If they can prevent instant castle syndrome then you'd think the LOTRO crew could. Still some beautiful scenery once you're stationary. (and no ...I do not have a state of the art PC but it's more than enough for LOTRO..so I know the graphics issues are not on my end.

Originally posted by Yamota

No, you are not the only one. This game is as shallow as a cesspool and just as interesting. No way it is worthy the IP.

What the hell are you talking about? Sure the classes are strange but the Pve content is top notch and the fucking graphics are amazing...

What else do you need in a pve focused game?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by Yamota

What the hell are you talking about? Sure the classes are strange but the Pve content is top notch and the fucking graphics are amazing...

What else do you need in a pve focused game?

Have you read the books? If so then you would know what I am talking about because the books have depth, alot of depth, and this game is just a high fantasy game on rails.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

If you play the game to lvl 40ish and see the new unique and innovative game systems that start to unlock your opinion might change.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

One of the reasons it's had to bring in a f2p model to try and get the numbers up.

Face it LOTRO could have been so much better if they hadn't gone down the 'wow clone' route. Like many others.

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by BarCrow

If by the style of combat...then yes..it is a bit clunky and slow still but miles better than a few years ago. If you mean character models..the models themselves could move better.

This is kind of where I am. But since I haven't paid any money for this game, it's quite okay. I usually play another subscription based game when I have a good block of 3-4 hours. But when I only have an hour or two and I don't want to be paranoid about pvp, I jump on LoTR and play my Dwarf Guard for a bit.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I think you're on to something OP. I have played the game off and on since October of 2007 and in my experience there is a certain something missing from the game. I can highlight my frustrations with the game.

1. Combat - In my opinion, it is terribly clunky and slow compared to other game. My understanding is that there is a skill queue as well as an animation timer that affects the combat detrimentally. There was an update to address this but I have noticed no difference. I play both WoW and Everquest 2, both of which have a much more fluid combat system. 

2. Linearity - Don't get me wrong, I love Tolkien and the setting of Middle Earth, but the sense of adventure I get from reading the books is really diminished after playing this game. The developers are following the books, which is both a good thing in terms of lore and honor to his works, but is bad because there is only a certain path we can follow, albeit with some delays, and that is to Mordor. 

3. Character Development - I find the virtue and trait system to be extremely frustrating. Grinding these things out is tedious and un-fun, if you will. I would rather have trait points I could assign rather than grinding out a mob or skill 1000 times. Some of these require criticals, which without the proper gear or traits can be daunting at best. 

4. Skills - As with the combat, the skills on some classes are hit or miss. I initially started a loremaster when I first got into the game, but found it to be lackluster.

5. Skirmishes - Great in ideal form but doing solo is frustrating at best. Skills that are slow make doing this even worse and power issues can really be a hinderance. Having to level the near useless soldier is another gripe I have with this otherwise great idea. 

The game does have a style, but in terms of fun there are better games. I personally enjoy WoW and Guild Wars much more. There are great elements to this game, mainly the story and it has one of the better interfaces of current MMOs. If you want a more open adventure game, I suggest EQ1 or 2, WoW or wait for TERA or RIFT. 

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Sounds like some of you guys should look into the Asian MMOs, plenty of flashing moves,piruetts, huge weapons, such epic weapon maneuvers that puts a Jedi to shame, unrealistic fighting style and  plenty of shong shong sounds.

LOTRO is more "realistic" fighting true it can look boring but the lore and the world is so great I dont really mind.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

There is a ton of abilities. Combat is even quite fast, often spamming instants on every GCD. The problem is the game is very cold and artificial, with poor feedback. The classes are painted machinery, often convoluted, they do not feel alive.

Same with world, the maps are quite nice, Moria is very impressive, but the forced time sinks and abstract tokens make it feel artificial.

Edit: There is good reason hunter is popular. It is hunter, it shoots, it makes sense. Also shots naturally have delay and distant feel. Notice it does not even need excessive visuals.

• PrinceZarokPrinceZarok Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Karahandras

One of the reasons it's had to bring in a f2p model to try and get the numbers up.

Face it LOTRO could have been so much better if they hadn't gone down the 'wow clone' route. Like many others.

A  'wow clone' ? Seriously lotro is anything but a wow clone. 

What games are you comparing lotro to when it comes to combat? From my experience Lotros combat engine is damn near identical to every mmo with the exception of wow. IMO Wows combat Is too fast! I watched my brother play his Druid the other day... Spamming the shit out of the keyboard and the entire screen gets filled with numbers. It's an immersion breaker for me. You can't even enjoy the spells your using and there is no thought when it comes to spell selection. You simply figure out a rotation and use that until you uninstall... So honestly you could keep your wow flashy combat. I like seeing what in doing, I like having to think and not spamm and I certainly at this point of my mmo gaming career appreciate the uniqueness of Lotros classes.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

I am trying to think what was the turning point for me .I was loving LotRO until I started trying to grind the legendary traits. I think that last marathon of skirmishes to buy that drop from that tentacled beast was the final nail for me. I just got the eagle then promptly lost interest my fault I guess me and my obsessive behaviour but all in all it is a great game and the combat is fine I never  found it a problem.

An old buddy of mine from Everquest pointed out that I am always doing this. I get all excited about a game and then I play it to death then quit suddenly. It is a pattern he said. My crafting too I had jewelcrafter, leatherworker, scholar, cook, farmer, weaponsmith and all this may have wearied me to the point of quitting.

I did the same thing in FFXI.  I was in this awesome static group very serious group and you had to turn up or risk disappointing and wasting the time of the others and no one can level without you because you have to be within levels of each other and you therefore cannot replace that member with some random pick up. One day I woke up and quit my red mage because I just stopped having fun. That was it I stopped having fun in LotRO when I quit.

It was the same in WoW I got so tired of raiding I just quit suddenly because I could not stand one more raid where I had to listen on Vent what to do for a chance at some drop I no longer gave two hoots about and spend my day gathering herbs to make potions for . Making money to buy that recipe and I said "what am I doing ,I am not having any fun". Well to be honest I was not even raiding for very long may be a month before I quit...yup very thin fuse !

It has nothing to do with the combat or graphics or anything it is a point in a game where even your friends are no longer enough to keep you playing. 

What does this have to do with the price of beans you ask . Well what it does is me trying to say that LotRO was a game that did not grab me initially because it did lack a lot in the beginning and it took me years to finally play it seriously. Initially the combat is lacking I admit depending on your class but over the levels things change and basically you have to stick it out for it to get better.

Chamber of Chains
  • jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Karahandras

WOW clone is a far too subjective term, I think Turbine had they truly intended to do the WOW clone thing would never have had the monster play add on.  They may have made an attempt to bite into WOW's numbers as far as a pve crowd but that's as far as it goes.

I think my imagination is a pretty active one and I have yet to play a game where I didn't sit at some point and think "this would be awesome if I could do this here" or whatever the case may be.

At this point in time I don't see this market big enough to support four or five games the size of WOW and as such then LOTRO is right where it belongs as I see it.  Now when that is taken into consideration the only reason I would need to take the game to a free to play model would be the success of my last attempt at that with a game that was generating much less money for the company.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Your an achiever. My brother is like that. When he wants something in wow he will play hardcore until he gets it. After a while he just burns himself out. I'm more of a socializer/ explored I'm all about the journey not the end goal. Noting wrong with either playstyle as I've been both over the 14 years of playing in this genre. I have found that taking it slow and not focusing so hard on the "ultimate goal" has lead to a more enjoyable and satisfying experience. I kinda wish my brother would stop being such an achiever though... It's gets kinda scary watching him run back to back heroics for 10 hours straight because he needs that upgrade now....

What games are you comparing lotro to when it comes to combat? From my experience Lotros combat engine is damn near identical to every mmo with the exception of wow. IMO Wows combat Is too fast! I watched my brother play his Druid the other day... Spamming the shit out of the keyboard and the entire screen gets filled with numbers. It's an immersion breaker for me. You can't even enjoy the spells your using and there is no thought when it comes to spell selection. You simply figure out a rotation and use that until you uninstall... So honestly you could keep your wow flashy combat. I like seeing what in doing, I like having to think and not spamm and I certainly at this point of my mmo gaming career appreciate the uniqueness of Lotros classes.

You must live in alternate universe or you just need better key bindings . My hunter, my warden, my minstrel and (to an extent) my LM, spam skills every cooldown. Back when I played WoW I was actually waiting for energy ticks and timing attacks. I was holding two to four monsters under control on my warlock. My hunter is about as flashy in both games - not very much - and i like it so.

WoW *feels* faster but the difference is negligible if it even exists.

Also, if you want to talk unique, look at EvE, Atlantica, Dragonica, Darkfall, DDO heck even Maple Story, this is just another EQ or WoW clone with skills thrown into blender. Warden is novel idea but far from polished and the mechanics is not suitable for tank class (as will people confirm when they decline you in favor of guard, the mechanics is the only real difference in efficiency).

If they would have gone pure clone lotro would have had battlegrounds a much more structured tiered raid progression system and normal mmo classes that would have been included for one reason and one reason alone... Profit instead of doing what they did and try to balance it a bit so the ip police were happy. More people would be playing lotro but it would be a crappy clone then.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

I think the IP prohibits them from pitting hobbits against elves and humans or against themselves so monster play was born.

Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by Tyrrhon

You must live in alternate universe or you just need better key bindings . My hunter, my warden, my minstrel and (to an extent) my LM, spam skills every cooldown. Back when I played WoW I was actually waiting for energy ticks and timing attacks. I was holding two to four monsters under control on my warlock. My hunter is about as flashy in both games - not very much - and i like it so.

WoW *feels* faster but the difference is negligible if it even exists.

Also, if you want to talk unique, look at EvE, Atlantica, Dragonica, Darkfall, DDO heck even Maple Story, this is just another EQ or WoW clone with skills thrown into blender. Warden is novel idea but far from polished and the mechanics is not suitable for tank class (as will people confirm when they decline you in favor of guard, the mechanics is the only real difference in efficiency).

Sorry to say this but you were simply a bad lotro player. There are people that were main tanks in progressive guilds in wow that can't tank their way out if a paper bag in lotro. As an example the most technical tankard in wow is the prot warrior. The guardian makes the prot warrior look like a class designed for children in comparison and you could forget about the warden a wow player would go brain dead.

Originally posted by cheyane

I am trying to think what was the turning point for me .I was loving LotRO until I started trying to grind the legendary traits.

Initially the combat is lacking I admit depending on your class but over the levels things change and basically you have to stick it out for it to get better.

You saw most of what the game has to offer. The decision is to stay and do the same stuff over and over or play fresh new game for new experience. That does not sound like achiever to me, it sounds like guy who just wants to have fun and not chase carrot over barren plains.

I suggest returning on next update when the game gets free up to 65 and check out legendary items, it is horrible grind but interesting mechanics, also Moria is quite amazing place (and gets very tedious soon).

The combat is arguably LOTRO biggest issue. It makes them lose players before they get hooked enough. People are not stupid, they feel when something is amiss, but most are not smart enough to pinpoint what is actually amiss. It may be lack of response, crucial skills postponed for too late, classes that do not have well defined identity, may be the combat is even *too fast* so it all blurs together, maybe the travel between mobs is too long. Turbine had years to find the reason and nothing happened.

You indeed do have to stick to 30 or in some cases past 40. Some issues fix itself, to the rest you just get used to.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Part of the problem is the classes do need to fit into the lore so your not going to get a Lotro version of a deathknight etc . Having said that the classes that are there are for the most part pretty good . I've played a hunter , a minstral and a lore master over the past two years and I've not found them unstylish as such but it depends what you compare them too or whichever game you've just come from . The combat is certainly slower than WoW but on the other hand the pve questing is more challenging and interesting . The toons are a little stiff but the landscape is far better than what wow has to offer . The variety of skills in each class as the game progresses are good enough for me . I would say maybe WoW has a slight edge in this regard but if I were to compare the two games as they are now . Lotro offers interesting rpg storyline elements and superior pve in terms of both quests and instances (and challenge) WoW still offers some of the best pvp in an mmo anywhere but the pve is watered down now to the point its virtually unplayable to any but the most novice gamers . Both games have pluses and minuses .