Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one who found this mmo lacking variety of skills to use and unstylish?

AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

I know there are lore rules, I really understand that but the only real reason I quit was not enough skills to play around with in this game, and lack of visual effects, the only one I saw where any good was the warden but not the classes I liked, like the captain, the runekeeper, and the loremaster, ok the loremaster was cool but considering his main damage spell was fire it was a bit repetitive and never been a fan of fire.

Anyways I am just wondering who else feels the same way, the content is amazing the mmorpg is fine nothing new but polished and fine but the classes felt to boring to me.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I'm with you. The classes felt extremely boring to me. Since class variety and gameplay tend to be more important to me than game world visuals and storytelling capability, this game fell flat for me. Being a fan of Tolkien since a young age wasn't enough to pull me through this one.

• lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

but the classes felt to boring.

yep i think the same thought they were dull. they had better classes and races in ac2 :).

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

i found the opposite, i found the uniqueness of classes and lots of interesting things to do one of the best things about this game.   I play a burglar and have tons of different abilities and options to play around with.  I tried a RK also for a few levels and it had a totally different mechanic to it, which was cool.

Lack of visual effects i agree with, but at the same time i think it contributes to the world feel they're trying to create, so i don't have an issue with that. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Wish I could do that I really need a mmo to play sigh, there is just nothing else better then lotro right now. Never really tried a burglar but the captain can do a bit of things to but found his melee style way to slow, I prefer fast paced versatile characters.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Sorry to hear that was you guy's experience and it's hard to hold that against someone.  Me I actually really enjoy the variation between the classes but can admit captain is one of my favorite classes in theory but the execution leaves a bit to be desired, warden not my favorite classes but I enjoyed them all enough that I've levelled them all to atleast level fifty two.

Truth is for how great I and some others feel the game is everything is never for everybody.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

I am just glad I am not the only one, maybe I will give it another try someday. I am mostly waiting on star wars and dc universe though.

• ChargersphanChargersphan Member Posts: 19

I agree the combat can be stale and is most likely the defining reason im not playing LotRO, but I think the Runekeeper has splashy cool spells. One of the first ones they get is almost blinding in 1st person view.

Also did you try the Minstrel. Yes they are healers but they solo well imo especially once you get War Speech. They pull out the guitar and strum it when doing damage and healing its not like holy crap unique but its fitting for the class and lore perfectly.

The Warden(more realistically my favorite class in LotRO as its alot more fitting to my playstyle),RK and Minst are the reason I come back to LotRO every now and then.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Angelbound

Wish I could do that I really need a mmo to play sigh, there is just nothing else better then lotro right now. Never really tried a burglar but the captain can do a bit of things to but found his melee style way to slow, I prefer fast paced versatile characters.

try champion

Currently bored with MMO's.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by ElderRat

try champion

Not really sure a person looking for elements similar to what LOTRO has is going to have much fun in that game but hey as far as I know the first fifteen levels are free, go check it out and tell us what you think.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Tried a champ for a little while and to be honest the special effects where pretty meh they reminded me I was playing the game nothing of a fantasy world, I prefer special effects that actually look well mystical or flashy, some skills just showed a symbol or something I know rogues shows dice couldnt stand that reminds me of rl to much hehe.

I could not get into the rk for a few reasons, one most spells you only see coming from the mob and not very big most spells where to subtle for me to enjoy, and I prefer to cast them from my hands.

The class I enjoyed the most so far was the hunter, but sadly there was to many ports in the class for me to have enough variety in my ranged attacks.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Sounds like a strange idea really. This is the only MMO besides AoC where i have ever run out of easily accessible hotkeys, and with AoC it was only due to the stupid directional melee attacks.

I mean what do you compare it too? My RK for example regularly(means 2/3 fights) uses 4 different lightning attacks for single target, a 5th big hit finisher, 2 Frost AoE, a spell interrupt, a daze, a pre fight debuff with proc, 2 heal related spells, one slow and two fire spells one of which is AoE. Talking skirmishes mostly, since regular mobs while leveling just die too fast. With a quick count thats about 15 skills, and thats just the ones i use regularly. And now the real kicker, my RK is level 34 and there is a crapload of skills still wating for him ... Similar thing with my captain, champion or LM really. Only exception might be my warden, but really thats a whole different thing.

And what do you mean with lack of variety? In the example above there are no two spells alike, sans maybe a couple of the single target lightning, then again there are only so many ways you can fry a single target with lightning.

Variety in the sense of enough skills to spam, I do not enjoy having only 10 damage abilities throughout the game like some, now as far as the rk goes read above, to subtle for me to enjoy I prefer to see spells coming from me instead of the mob far away which you can barely see in the first place.

Tried a champ for a little while and to be honest the special effects where pretty meh they reminded me I was playing the game nothing of a fantasy world, I prefer special effects that actually look well mystical or flashy, some skills just showed a symbol or something I know rogues shows dice couldnt stand that reminds me of rl to much hehe.

I could not get into the rk for a few reasons, one most spells you only see coming from the mob and not very big most spells where to subtle for me to enjoy, and I prefer to cast them from my hands.

Wrong game then, maybe try Aion or something. The whole LotRO gig is a lot more medieval in style than modern fantasy, which figures if you consider the "world" is over 60 years old now. Things just where not that flashy back then, and i think its nice to have atleast one MMO our there that doesn't resemble a trance party.with a overdose of light show.

Just remembered something, take a look at some CoH vids, i remember that in a fully party you sometimes hardly could see the ground, or well anything.

Variety in the sense of enough skills to spam, I do not enjoy having only 10 damage abilities throughout the game like some, now as far as the rk goes read above, to subtle for me to enjoy I prefer to see spells coming from me instead of the mob far away which you can barely see in the first place.

Hmm i see where you are coming from, but really no dps class has only 10 damage abilities, champion for example has 19 i think, and thats are just those that directly damage foes. If you count defensive skills aswell you easily get above 30. Though if you are talking about a class like captain, then yeah, it does not have as many attacks. Though a captain is not a DPS class, he splits his abilities between dps/buffing/healing/summoning etc. Its kinda like a druid in wow, lots of different roles, but not as many different skills per role as a pure class. 

That being said even the captain has 13 different attacks, so again, consider me confused. 

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Im with you, i tried playign lorto many times... each time id just stop and be like wow this is tiresome, i never really felt it was FUN. (I can grind on mobs in daoc and find it fun)

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

well I never made it very far but there where to many levels without new abilities to use, you need that to help with the grind, anyways cox is good played it for a while but it gets old fast.

The first and second time i tried LotRO it just didn't click for me either. I just couldn't find a fun class, and all the traveling around got tiresome. Now the third, im having fun though. Can't say its because the game changed, but nowadays i find myself enjoying classes i found deadly boring in 2008. Only difference is i have gotten really really sick of WoW, so LotROs different classes are now a nice thing.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I know there are lore rules, I really understand that but the only real reason I quit was not enough skills to play around with in this game, and lack of visual effects, the only one I saw where any good was the warden but not the classes I liked, like the captain, the runekeeper, and the loremaster, ok the loremaster was cool but considering his main damage spell was fire it was a bit repetitive and never been a fan of fire.

Anyways I am just wondering who else feels the same way, the content is amazing the mmorpg is fine nothing new but polished and fine but the classes felt to boring to me.

Nope, the game is boring as sh**

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

well, no wonder it went "free to play". It's a dull, boring game.

I remember i tried to like it, but couldn't even play my free trial more than 2 days.

What are you guys playing now?

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I echo this I too could not get into the game the first few times yes I came back to it over the years but this time when I tried it in March something changed may be it was my perspective because I finally got to 53 then got bored to death and left. I enjoyed it for those 50 levels.

Chamber of Chains
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I want a Lord of the Rings MMO with combat ripped out of Vindictus.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by jaxsundane

Originally posted by ElderRat

try champion

Not really sure a person looking for elements similar to what LOTRO has is going to have much fun in that game but hey as far as I know the first fifteen levels are free, go check it out and tell us what you think.

lol, he was asking about class so I said Champion - as in the class not as in Champion's online.  No problem, my fault for being concise but not clear.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Yes...you are the only one...maybe two