Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Light Saber creation finally answered.

Comments

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

That answered nothing.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

The Jedi should craft his/her own lightsaber.  They shouldn't just 'loot' the saber.  I can understand if they can loot components, pieces, parts, upgrades... sure.  But looting a complete saber... no thanks. 

And, as it was said on Bioware's boards... I don't want my sidekicks crafting my sabers.  Again, that's for me to do. 

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

In the Q&A, they said that your character will be going back to your starter planet at higher levels. The starter planet is where you first craft your own lightsaber from the demo's. So I could see you having to go back a few times while leveling to craft a new lightsaber. Or go back and upgrade what you have with new crystalls or bonus parts.

As far as drops. I don't see a problem with lightsabers droping from sith or jedi boss mobs. If you kill them. Why can't you take there sabers? If they drop from a random worm or animal, then there will be a problem.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Yeah, that didn't answer anything for me either.

Someone in that thread mentioned a video of a jedi crafting a lightsaber, but I couldn't find said video.

The quote just says that companions won't be crafting lightsabers. Some jumped to the conclusion that our lightsaber upgrades will come via loot drops, but he didn't say that either. Too many people start making assumptions based on a lack of information, but this is certainly a qusetion I'd like to hear answered. Will we be crafting/upgrading our own lightsabers or not?

Due to his rather short and uninformitive answer, I'm assuming they aren't ready to talk about this yet. That could mean they either want us to be pleasantly surprised, or they think we won't like the answer. I guess we have to hope for the best and expect the worst so that we'll be pleasantly surprised if we get what we want, but not too disappointed if we don't.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

This narrows it down to either drops or player crafted (with a class skill).

Or a combination of both.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

There is a cgi cut scene of a player crafting/obtaining his first lightsaber, it seemed more story progression than crafting, it was just part of the story arc.

Do upgrades to the ls even happen?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

The information you people are seeking is right in front of your noses. In KOTOR you crafted your lightsabers. And BW made doing so as exclusive as possible. You didn't get anyone but lightsaber weilders dropping lightsabers in the game. What makes any of you think they are going to deviate from that mindset? Likewise, upgrading lightsabers was not an easy task.

So if they are taking their ques about this matter from the movies as they did with all other aspects of the game, then it's safe to assume that lightsabers won't be dropping off tauntauns. And if it's anything like the system that they had in place with their other SW game, then you better believe getting different color lightsabers will be rare indeed.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by Ramonski7

The information you people are seeking is right in front of your noses. In KOTOR you crafted your lightsabers. And BW made doing so as exclusive as possible. You didn't get anyone but lightsaber weilders dropping lightsabers in the game. What makes any of you think they are going to deviate from that mindset? Likewise, upgrading lightsabers was not an easy task.

So if they are taking their ques about this matter from the movies as they did with all other aspects of the game, then it's safe to assume that lightsabers won't be dropping off tauntauns. And if it's anything like the system that they had in place with their other SW game, then you better believe getting different color lightsabers will be rare indeed.

Lightsaber drops were not all that rare in Kotor, nor was the availability of different colored crystals. Reds were down right common, while many shops had at least one color of crystal. If there was a color that might be called rare in the original Kotor, it would have been violet. Upgrade crystals might have been rare right at first, but toward the end they were pretty common as well.

Also assuming they'll do things the same way they did in Kotor is making too much of an assumption for my tastes.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Originally posted by mrw0lf

There is a cgi cut scene of a player crafting/obtaining his first lightsaber, it seemed more story progression than crafting, it was just part of the story arc.

Yes, you get your first lightsaber through story.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

Originally posted by thexrated

Anybody know which video this is on? Cutscene or no I think I'd like to see it.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by BlackWatch

The Jedi should craft his/her own lightsaber.  They shouldn[object Window]t just [object Window]loot[object Window] the saber.  I can understand if they can loot components, pieces, parts, upgrades... sure.  But looting a complete saber... no thanks. 

And, as it was said on Bioware[object Window]s boards... I don[object Window]t want my sidekicks crafting my sabers.  Again, that[object Window]s for me to do. 

Luke didn[object Window]t craft his own lightsaber... seemed to work ok for him :)

Originally posted by mmogawd

Originally posted by BlackWatch

The Jedi should craft his/her own lightsaber.  They shouldn[object Window]t just [object Window]loot[object Window] the saber.  I can understand if they can loot components, pieces, parts, upgrades... sure.  But looting a complete saber... no thanks. 

And, as it was said on Bioware[object Window]s boards... I don[object Window]t want my sidekicks crafting my sabers.  Again, that[object Window]s for me to do. 

Luke didn[object Window]t craft his own lightsaber... seemed to work ok for him :)

Ah, but he crafted his second one, and that one did seem to be more his...if you know what I mean. Vader himself seemed to think the crafting of Luke's lightsaber was significant in some way.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by BarakIII

It is in the PAX 2010 presentation video. This is the link: http://g4tv.com/videos/48648/star-wars-pax-2010-panel/ You have to move to the 36 minute mark. That is when the Jedi Lightsaber creation video starts.

It looks like a crafting table that Jedi will have to come back to for future lightsaber creation. As I said earlier, it should be a story quest from your trainer on Tython. Once you reach a milestone, or the correct level, you will probably have to go back to create a better weapon. This one is at level 10 I believe.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Why shouldn't you be able to loot lightsabers from mobs that use them?  That seems rather silly to me.

I do think crafting your own should grant a small bonus (like the crystal you could use in KotOR2, a small bonus), but you should be able to pick up and use any lightsaber as a jedi.

Do I think a Bh or Smuggler or Trooper shouldn't be able to pick up a weapon from a mob and use it? That sounds very silly.  And some classes, especially BHs and Troopers, put a huge value into their weapons, as a jedi does with their lightsaber.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by BarakIII

I just spent some time looking for it but can't seem to find it. The video was NOT a cgi cutscene, it was in-game, showed a low level jedi on tython climbing a mountain thingy and crafting their first lightsaber in some kind of holy force place.

Meh if anyone remembers the video toss us a link ya?

EDIT: HAH! I found it!

EDIT2: Meh somebody already beat me to it.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by Swanea

Why shouldn't you be able to loot lightsabers from mobs that use them?  That seems rather silly to me.

I do think crafting your own should grant a small bonus (like the crystal you could use in KotOR2, a small bonus), but you should be able to pick up and use any lightsaber as a jedi.

Do I think a Bh or Smuggler or Trooper shouldn't be able to pick up a weapon from a mob and use it? That sounds very silly.  And some classes, especially BHs and Troopers, put a huge value into their weapons, as a jedi does with their lightsaber.

Because a jedi/sith's lightsaber is an extension of their being. If you created a katana based on your own specifications would you toss it to thr wayside just to pick up a completely foreign one and start using it indefinitely? Even in the movies jedi rarely used someone else's lightsaber to fight and when they did it was only long enough until they found their own again or crafted another.

But I have no problem with using dropped lightsabers as long as the mobs dropping them were using them. I also would be fine if they made lightsabers completely craftable/customizable by players only and you could only find mats and never a completed lightsaber.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Aha! In the PAX video you guys linked, Daniel Erickson spoke of lightsaber crystals as a seperate thing, which implies to me that you will indeed be able to upgrade or change your lightsaber. He obviously didn't want to say much but he did indeed speak of crystals as opposed to lightsabers and implied that said crystals will have different effects. So speaking of crystals implies they will appear apart from a lightsaber, and if there are indeed crystals apart from lightsabers then you can indeed interchange them in your lightsaber. Simple logic, yes?

Edit: After watching the whole TOR part of that video, I have to say I was mostly pleased with what I heard. Except maybe the two presenters were a bit lame. image

Edit #2: I was just thinking how this would be done, and I'm betting it will be more akin to putting gems in items WoW style as opposed to crafting.  No information to back this up of course, but just my guess.