Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM interferes with player siege

Tonight some 50 people attacked a keep beloning to the largest alliance in game (TOP). As the gate was destroyed using sledgehammers a GM appeared, respawned the gate and turned it yellow (meaning it cannot be damaged). His excuse "Sledgehammers are not supposed to be used to damage structures"

To make it complete he also turned some of the defenders yellow to "make it fair". As a result around 40 people have unsubbed from the game. 

I am really wondering what they are thinking. The game had just improved some but this blatant bias is just another nail in the coffin. Not the final one probaly because there is always gullable suckers.

GG GM Discord you just trolled a ton of people out of the game.

Comments

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

This game has been so unprofessional since the start does this suprise anyone?

I can't get around why people even play this game.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

eveny time i think about trying this game i see a post like this

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Here's the announcement, made over a week ago.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/55456-over-power-weapons.html#post1053281

The group was exploiting.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

ANY weapon is meant to be used against buildings. The fact that the GM literally interfered and RUINED the event based on their own mistake. Regardles if sledgehammers aren't meant to do as much dmg as they do right now (i assume?), the fact it if they KNEW that it's an easy hotfix by changing some variables around in their editor and throwing up a quick 2-20kb change. Their ENTIRE game is a mod based on a 3rd party produced engine that they licensed (sort of like the Unreal engine that recently released for free to the public & academics, but you get to pay them for publishing anything substancial). Their item "system" is not as complex as you might think as it's 90% script based.

Ever scripted for Arma, Arma2, etc? Almost the exact same system :).

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

It would be neat to see GMs get more involved with the players. Not necessarily like what happened in the OP, but maybe with leadership or classic D&D Dungeon Master roles. There seems to be a void of such things in many online games.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Rohn

That announcement is about boomsticks and NOT sledgehammers.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• ImNewbImNewb Member Posts: 8

Yes, and they fixed those weapons in the latest patch. So that's a null and void post now.

Plus since when was a sledgehammer a boomstick?

Do you need me to define a sledgehammer??

• SomeDude101SomeDude101 Member Posts: 45

Before tonight about 8 gates that I know of were taken down using SLEDGEHAMMERS (NOT BOOMSTICKS). Nobody interfered, all was well. This reeks I don't care what you say Mr random Top member. Keep deluding yourself...or maybe talk to your leaders ;)

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Another game with great potential, yet full of fail.  Story of the genre, and sad to see an indie studio so inept.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

in just about every siege to date GMs have had to show up and "supervise" the event. i remeber when a few people were threatened with banes for shotting arrow through the huge gaps in the palissade when sieging Mermidon's keep. because as the GM put it "since the gaps in the palissade are not supposed to be there, you are not allowed to use them to your advantage"...!!!!!

think about that for a second.....it's like saying :there is a giant hole in the house you are trying to enter, but since the hole is not supposed to be there you will get banned if you use it!

this is no joke, it happened, along with many many many other such ridiculous things. broken game is broken.

• maharetmaharet Member Posts: 115

Try again a beatstick and a SLEDGEHAMMER are 2 different things.  Since release we have used sledgehammers to destroy structures. 

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

We all know why the GMs intervened, its not the first time they've played favorites. 

I win!!! LOL@U

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

in just about every siege to date GMs have had to show up and "supervise" the event. i remeber when a few people were threatened with banes for shotting arrow through the huge gaps in the palissade when sieging Mermidon's keep. because as the GM put it "since the gaps in the palissade are not supposed to be there, you are not allowed to use them to your advantage"...!!!!!

think about that for a second.....it's like saying :there is a giant hole in the house you are trying to enter, but since the hole is not supposed to be there you will get banned if you use it!

this is no joke, it happened, along with many many many other such ridiculous things. broken game is broken.

I was there at the Myrmopolis destruction and when the gm said that I about lost my piss laughing so hard.  If the fucking gaps are not supposed to be there fix the damn game.

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

I've already had two very pissed off guys (guild leaders) send me logs, and here are some juicy bits:

[00:30] <[GM]Discord> how did you destroy a 120k in five mins

[00:30] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> If this shit isn't fix like now, we gonna quit

[00:30] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> It had 500 HP

[00:30] <[GM]Discord> I don't see a catapault

[00:31] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> We destroyed it

[00:31] <[GM]Discord> 500 hitpoints..

[00:31] <[GM]Discord> I know the issue then..

[00:31] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> They just started building it u know

[00:31] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> What issue?

[00:32] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> And what the fuck have you done to hammers without a notice?

[00:33] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> I would appreciate you answering faster

[00:33] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> I have 60 people here

[00:33] <[GM]Discord> explain?

[00:33] <[GM]Discord> hammers where never meant to damage structures

[00:33] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> U mad?

[00:33] <[GM]Discord> not at all, I just trying to fix this so it's fair

[00:34] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> U fucking mad?

[00:34] <[GM]Discord> and this gate was bugged..

[00:34] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> Heavy hammers ARE SUPPOSED to damage structures

[00:34] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> Wanna quote?

[00:35] <[GM]Discord> not to the point of 40-60 points of damage

[00:35] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> Beatsticks damaged for 200

[00:35] <[GM]Discord> The two handed handle messed up that damage

[00:35] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> Want me to quote your annoucnement?

[00:35] <[GM]Discord> structures are not meant to be damageed by hammers

Here he's saying hammers were never meant to damage structures, now I don't play anymore but I vividly remember (and I'm sure someone's gonna dig up) the Devs saying numerous times throughout Closed and Open Beta that sledgehammers are specifically intended for anti-structure damage.

Here's another entertaining log from a very upset player:

<[CIR]Konrad> the fuck do you think youre doing?

<[CIR]Konrad> sledgehammers are not supposed to damage gates since WHEN

<[CIR]Konrad> go up in your fucking guild's keep and count up how many they have, then come down here and count how many we got

<[GM]Discord> never where

<[CIR]Konrad> then tell your boss whats gonna happen when we unsub after this

<[GM]Discord> I am not in this guild or any guild

<[CIR]Konrad> what are you talking about?

<[GM]Discord> I am only trying to make this fair for both sides

<[CIR]Konrad> the FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? sledgehammers were INTENDED to destroy structures since CLOSED BETA. did you ever play this game or what

<[CIR]Konrad> no

<[CIR]Konrad> there is no FAIR

<[CIR]Konrad> there is 60 of us and 30 of them

<[CIR]Konrad> and you respawning their invincible gates

<[CIR]Konrad> last week it was fine to destroy gates with hammers

<[CIR]Konrad> we destroyed 8 gates

<[CIR]Konrad> and NOW you're respawning gates?

<[CIR]Konrad> get those gates DOWN or we're unsubbing and taking this to the forums

<[GM]Discord> This gate only had 500 hit points..

<[CIR]Konrad> yeah and 150k before that

<[CIR]Konrad> you just fucked up the evening for fucking 60 people dude

<[CIR]Konrad> to save some 30 unwashed noobs

<[CIR]Konrad> by insta-rebuilding their gate

<[CIR]Konrad> whats FAIR if they didn't build their gate up? since when is this kiddy-game, what we supposed to give them TIME to build ti all the way up?

<[CIR]Konrad> you are a GM interveining in PVP to protect 1 guild from 10 guilds

Here he's saying that he was just trying to make it "fair" for both sides. While I was still a GM, making it "fair" in this fashion would get you kicked from the GM team.

I still have a lot of friends in the guilds involved in this siege - AQ, Mahti, Reign, CIR, RUS, CN, TKO, etc - and there are some points everyone I talked to agree on (they're still raging about it on voice-comms):

- Players from TOP were turned Yellow and invunerable

- The gates were destroyed, and instantly re-created by a GM with 0 hitpoints and a Yellow flag (invincible).

Now from what I understand that was pretty much the whole server population coming to siege TOP alliance, and there is talks of mass-unsubbing left and right. On top of that, Wessex (another large alliance) has already left the game, dissolving their kingdom in the south-east.

Starting to think Henrik's gonna be happy with his new Lead GM hahaha. What a way to shoot yourself in the foot with an already crippled server population, this almost beats SWG's NGE debacle.

Originally posted by cirsyndic

I've already had two very pissed off guys (guild leaders) send me logs, and here are some juicy bits:

[00:32] <[RUS]Golozhopenko> And what the fuck have you done to hammers without a notice?

Here he's saying hammers were never meant to damage structures, now I don't play anymore but I vividly remember (and I'm sure someone's gonna dig up) the Devs saying numerous times throughout Closed and Open Beta that sledgehammers are specifically intended for anti-structure damage.

<[CIR]Konrad> go up in your fucking guild's keep and count up how many they have, then come down here and count how many we got

<[CIR]Konrad> the FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? sledgehammers were INTENDED to destroy structures since CLOSED BETA. did you ever play this game or what

<[CIR]Konrad> no

<[CIR]Konrad> get those gates DOWN or we're unsubbing and taking this to the forums

<[CIR]Konrad> whats FAIR if they didn't build their gate up? since when is this kiddy-game, what we supposed to give them TIME to build ti all the way up?

<[CIR]Konrad> you are a GM interveining in PVP to protect 1 guild from 10 guilds

Here he's saying that he was just trying to make it "fair" for both sides. While I was still a GM, making it "fair" in this fashion would get you kicked from the GM team.

I still have a lot of friends in the guilds involved in this siege - AQ, Mahti, Reign, CIR, RUS, CN, TKO, etc - and there are some points everyone I talked to agree on (they're still raging about it on voice-comms):

- The gates were destroyed, and instantly re-created by a GM with 0 hitpoints and a Yellow flag (invincible).

Now from what I understand that was pretty much the whole server population coming to siege TOP alliance, and there is talks of mass-unsubbing left and right. On top of that, Wessex (another large alliance) has already left the game, dissolving their kingdom in the south-east.

Starting to think Henrik's gonna be happy with his new Lead GM hahaha. What a way to shoot yourself in the foot with an already crippled server population, this almost beats SWG's NGE debacle.

As soon as Discord took over I was pissed.  When he was just a gm he was a pocket gm to a very well known guild tramping around destroying houses.

• thorppesthorppes Member Posts: 452

It's so hard to keep up.. who's the GM's favorite?

Is it TOP? Myrimdon? PROM alliance? WSX? 

People were informed the hammers shouldn't by used to do damage to buildings.

• ImNewbImNewb Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by thorppes

No you keep up, they were informed that BOOMSTICKS shouldnt do damage to buildings.

No they were NOT. The announcment was about beatsticks, NOT HAMMERS. This was already discussed earlier in the thread. Please read up.

That was for boomsticks Thorpey, get with the program please. ;)

And in any case, IF sledgehammers are not intended then surely these players would have been banned? Nobody got banned from what I hear.The gate 100g reimbursed? Nope, the noob spawned a no-health Yellow-flagged gate.

That gets you fired in most companies, especially since his actions - from what Im hearing on voice-comm - cost them upwards of 50+ subs now and its just a case of people coming on Vent/TS and getting told the same story and then immediately you start hearing "ok guys Im unsubbed what game we going to now".

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664

Originally posted by ImNewb

No you keep up, they were informed that BOOMSTICKS shouldnt do damage to buildings.

uhh no... Try re-reading that statement again. They never directly said that "boomsticks" were the only thing you could not use on structures. They only said, "From this day forward you can not use the ones currently in the world on structures you will be banned if you do." That is SOOO vague it is a horrible rule and leaves SO much grey it is not even funny. 

I agree though that it was horrible what happened as it was their fault that they did not clarify what the "new" rule was. 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by cirsyndic

<[CIR]Konrad> no

No GM in any MMO is EVER to intervene in PvP in this manner. If I were among the player base I would be demanding for this GM's power and title to be stripped immediately. There is no situation at all where intervention like that is acceptable. If there's a bug, you fix it. If people are exploiting you ban the exploits. But intervening in this manner is completely and utterly unacceptable lol. 

For the love of god I hope this isn't true and this is some troll post, not saying it is but hoping that it is because this is a line you do not cross in a PvP centric game. 

You have to think now that the player base is going to be afraid of attacking this clan, will the GM's intervene again? Who Else is protected? Who can and can't I attack? Will I be banned for attacking someone? 

If you don't want FFA PvP instance it and only allow a certain number of players to battle, you DO NOT intervene in this manner. 

I may not play MO but I am an FFA PvP'r and play many games that include it, if this EVER occurs in an MMO I'm playing I would cancel sub and I would do a charge back if I could. I'd likely lobby against the game hardcore as well. This is under no circumstances acceptable. 

Wtf lol. 

Nice thread title btw, very attention getting. I didn't even look to see what game it was for lol. This was an insta look. 

Originally posted by Joker2240

uhh no... Try re-reading that statement again. They never directly said that "boomsticks" were the only thing you could not use on structures. They only said, "From this day forward you can not use the ones currently in the world on structures you will be banned if you do." That is SOOO vague it is a horrible rule and leaves SO much grey it is not even funny. 

I agree though that it was horrible what happened as it was their fault that they did not clarify what the "new" rule was. 

uuuuuhhhh...copy paste:

Currently there was a issue in the code that allowed the two handle weapon [Boom Sticks ] to do more damage then intended. 

This has been fixed for the newly created weapons, anyone affected by the old ones will not be reimbursed as they still acted as a sledge hammer would. For the ones currently in game we ask you delete them. 

From this day forward you can not use the ones currently in the world on structures you will be banned if you do.

READ PLEASE....

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by SomeDude101

No they were NOT. The announcment was about beatsticks, NOT HAMMERS. This was already discussed earlier in the thread. Please read up.

It may be a matter of semantics mixed with poor English.  From the announcement:

"Currently there was a issue in the code that allowed the two handle weapon [Boom Sticks ] to do more damage then intended. 

This has been fixed for the newly created weapons, anyone affected by the old ones will not be reimbursed as they still acted as a sledge hammer would. For the ones currently in game we ask you delete them. "

He specifically refers to two handle weapon (Booms Sticks) and refers to them acting as sledge hammers.  It's definitely confusing, but it looks like the intention is to warn players from using overpowered weapons (as a whole) against structures. Were the players in the siege using overpowered weapons or were they just using regular weapons?

Regardless, everything I read about this game shows what a mess it is.  Players should be able to use any weapon against anybody or anything, as far as I'm concerned, as long as the weapons aren't bugged.  That being said, if you whack away at a wall with your sword, your sword should take damage and possibly break... That just seems like common sense.

~Ripper

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/50419-house-destruction-keep-limit-weapons.html

2 minutes of looking and here you go, community vote on siege methods.

Plus, the official response about sledgehammers:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/50419-house-destruction-keep-limit-weapons.html#post975461

So it's a viable way of destroying structures, and the Lead GM has no clue about the game he's leading the customer-support team about. Go SV! In all seriousness, in any self-respecting company he'd be fired by tomorrow.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

Meh, honestly this is what happens in most MMO's if people use issues or problems as a means to reach an end. Often it's known as exploiting. For example people using terminals to trap people in SWG were banned, people entering the Night Sister cave that was bugged to get loot would get a ban. Using open on NPCs in SWG to get god weapons would get you banned. Jumping on top of rocks to kill npcs in AOC would get people banned. 

If a feature is broken is it too much to ask for people not to abuse it? I don't play this game, I feel it's horrible, that said, I don't really see the problem in what you pointed out. If people are exploiting broken things as shown above they deserve a ban.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

This discussion has been closed.