Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extended is pretty awesome for f2p

nethrillnethrill Member Posts: 122

I've only been playing it for less than a week and I have to say so far I'm pretty impressed. I go all the way back to the days when Eq1 when was in it's glory days and have tried a lot of the major mmorg's that have come out. The only sub i've kept is wow,mostly because my wife plays and it's something we can do together.But right now I'm maxed out and bored to death with it so i thought i'd try this out just till cataclysm comes out. Initially my thoughts were it Being free to play it probably wasn't very good but so far I'm very impressed and enjoying the game. This game should get more credit, it's just as good if not better than a lot of the mmo's out there really.

Comments

• nethrillnethrill Member Posts: 122

Nobody else thinks this game rocks for f2p? Granted I haven't gotten very far,level 10, but  it's been fun so far.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

ehhh... I dont like how I could spend hundreds of bucks in the shop and after clearing it out still feel the need to sub because im missing something...

Its almost a scam in my book.

Why even have F2p if the good shit is all Sub only?

Oh and before anyone replies I dont want the stuff to be free, just offer the Sub features as cash shop items...

Lotro does this with Monsterplay and fast travel and it drives me crazy atleast they are dropping both restrictions unlike SoE...

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I am not comparing f2p of LotRO or EQ2 extended but I just want to make one personal observation.

I will never play a game where I am going to spend hours grinding stuff so I can earn enough points to buy a quest or area because it will save me 15 dollars. I will rather spend that money then use my valuable yes valuable my time is valuable to me and play the parts I enjoy. I think it is an insidious thing to dangle something like that over people who take this as a challenge and grind away so they can say " Hey I never spent anything"  . What about the time sweetheart can you get that back ?

That is why when I played DnD online I subbed. Don't get your knickers in a twist this is my own view and no reflection on anyone.

Chamber of Chains

Originally posted by cheyane

I am not comparing f2p of LotRO or EQ2 extended but I just want to make one personal observation.

I will never play a game where I am going to spend hours grinding stuff so I can earn enough points to buy a quest or area because it will save me 15 dollars. I will rather spend that money then use my valuable yes valuable my time is valuable to me and play the parts I enjoy. I think it is an insidious thing to dangle something like that over people who take this as a challenge and grind away so they can say " Hey I never spent anything"  . What about the time sweetheart can you get that back ?

That is why when I played DnD online I subbed. Don't get your knickers in a twist this is my own view and no reflection on anyone.

You dont have to play like that.

I didn't. I Bought all my content and now just enjoy the game.

I could have just bought quest zones as i leveled to them.

Honestly i dont understand the people that are willing to grind in game for free shit...

I also dont buy that these games arent good enough to sub to. I mean they arent worth 15 bucks yet they are worth grinding like a slave in a cotton field to unlock quest areas? If your willing to play like that then yes the game is worth a sub or atleast some cash in a shop to unlock things.

Anyway this isnt about lotro (the vastly superior f2p model) its about EQ2x and its scam of players by having them put hundreds of bucks into a shop only to still need to sub lol.

I think based on my limited experience it may be worth a sub.But i've only gotten to level 10 so I'm very green and just scratched the surface.Does it have a lot of content at higher levels enough to keep ones interest?I think i would be more inclined to sub than to use the cash store.Anyone have a sub and if so do you find it's worth it?

Originally posted by nethrill

I think based on my limited experience it may be worth a sub.But i've only gotten to level 10 so I'm very green and just scratched the surface.Does it have a lot of content at higher levels enough to keep ones interest?I think i would be more inclined to sub than to use the cash store.Anyone have a sub and if so do you find it's worth it?

If your going to use cash at all please, please just sub...

I swear to you after you unlock races, classes and lift other restrictions the second you see the spell, ability and gear restrictions that only exist for F2p and can not be bought off the shop you will feel so cheated that you will want to kill every SoE dev with your keyboard...

So sub.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I cannot remark on how things are now. I played this a few years back may be 3 so at that time the sub was very much worth it. The house aspect alone was enough for me I have both a Freeport and Qeynos home and really went to town. I was very happy with the game then. I enjoyed the quests and the depth of the quests and I really loved grouping and enjoyed the game very much. I don't know how the game is now.

Chamber of Chains

I cannot remark on how things are now. I played this a few years back may be 3 so at that time the sub was very much worth it. The house aspect alone was enough for me I have both a Freeport and Qeynos home and really went to town. I was very happy with the game then. I enjoyed the quests and the depth of the quests and I really loved grouping and enjoyed the game very much. I don't know how the game is now.

The game isnt the issue.

Its the shady payment model.

I dont mind the game. Actually i subbed to if for a couple months it wasnt bad.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

I agree with all of this.  The only part that sucked about the game was the bad performance curve on high end machines.  Maybe they have fixed that a little with the spell effect changes etc.  I have no idea. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• XerelinXerelin Member Posts: 18

Having not played EQ extended, is it like Turbine's way of item shop (buy new areas, and leveling tokens, etc.. depending on game) or does it have restrictions on max level, mounts, etc...?

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

EQ2 Extended is a HUGE rip off!  You should see all the complaints.

Only 4 classes are free. Only 4 races are free. All the rest of the classes and races you have to PAY for each and every single one of them to unluck. And not cheap either. As EVERYTHING in their shop is ridicously over priced!!

Not to mention the game being so severely restricted in F2P mode. It's not even funny. You will find out when you get past level20.

EQ2 Extended pretty much forces you to subcribe if you want to really enjoy and experience all that the game has to offer.

And guess what?  The whole subscription model on EQ2 Extended is also a huge rip off! Far more expensive then just starting over on the regular EQ2 Live servers and just start paying a normal sub and then have access to everything!

Seriously. EQ2 Extended is one of the worst so called F2P implementations I have ever seen. But hey. It's $OE. So no suprise there.

We can say a lot about Turbine. But at least they hit pretty much the sweet spot with their hybrid F2P model. Did it far better.

Ok so say you subscribe and go gold and have full acces to the game, does extended offer enough content and quality game play to be happy with and is comparable to standard EQ2? Personally I don't feel like buying all the expansions for EQ2.The game looks promising at level 10 and would consider a gold sub for extended if it has enough content and decent game play for a while anyways.Does anyone here have a gold sub?

Originally posted by nethrill

Ok so say you subscribe and go gold and have full acces to the game, does extended offer enough content and quality game play to be happy with and is comparable to standard EQ2? Personally I don't feel like buying all the expansions for EQ2.The game looks promising at level 10 and would consider a gold sub for extended if it has enough content and decent game play for a while anyways.Does anyone here have a gold sub?

You can buy the Sentinels Faith All in One pack for 20 bucks or so. You will get everything. All the expacs.

Then you start paying just a normal sub of 15 bucks per month and play on the regular servers.

IMHO. That's a far better deal then that whole abomination of EQ2 Extended.

EDIT: LOL! Check here: http://www.amazon.com/Everquest-II-Sentinels-Fate-Pc/dp/B002W8XT9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1290191066&sr=8-1

You can even get it for 9 bucks now. The Sentinels Fate expac contains all previous 5 expacs and adventure packs.

Comes with free 30 days. So you can play the first month for free on the regular EQ2 Live servers.

Seriously. That is a far far better deal. Can't get any better than that.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The P2P option is worth the money, but besides that is EQ2X and LOTRO in another league than most F2P games.

Only adept skills will just get you so far after lvl 60, forget raids and endgame dungeons without it. But for just leveling up a character as far as you can for free might still be very fun, even though it is nowhere close to the P2P version of the game.

• rmasonrmason Member Posts: 140

I was not a really big fan of the way they released EQx. I know the whole premise of them making a f2p server is to generate more money but they did gimp the game pretty hard if you are not a subscriber. Access to 4 races, access to a very limited amount of classes, gimped spells and gimped leveling.

I think they should have switched all the servers to f2p and just have a ton of deco/excelleration items in the cash shop. People go coocoo for deco items (cloths/mounts/etc) and the ability to level faster.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by JeroKaneEQ2 Extended is a HUGE rip off!  You should see all the complaints.

Only 4 classes are free. Only 4 races are free. All the rest of the classes and races you have to PAY for each and every single one of them to unluck. And not cheap either. As EVERYTHING in their shop is ridicously over priced!!

Not to mention the game being so severely restricted in F2P mode. It's not even funny. You will find out when you get past level20.

EQ2 Extended pretty much forces you to subcribe if you want to really enjoy and experience all that the game has to offer.

Not defending it, just fact-checking.  4 free (neutral) races, 8 free (neutral) classes - 2 in each basic archetype (fighter, mage, cleric, scout).

Agreed that the cash shop is generally over priced.  I found it worthwhile to upgrade to a Silver account, but only because it was essentially free to me: free Station Cash from pump-priming give-aways and included in 2 retail box purchases.

The restrictions are irritating, but as others have noted, they are not as bitter to those who have only played the free version.  They only feel like a straitjacket to those of us who play on the paid servers.  I don't raid or PvP, so I don't obsess about Expert/Master spell upgrades.  The most annoying things I've encountered are the broker restrictions (I am NOT about to buy their tokens!) and the redefining of some Mastercrafted gear as Legendary-equivalent.

Originally posted by CasualMaker

Originally posted by JeroKaneEQ2 Extended is a HUGE rip off!  You should see all the complaints.

Not defending it, just fact-checking.  4 free (neutral) races, 8 free (neutral) classes - 2 in each basic archetype (fighter, mage, cleric, scout).

Agreed that the cash shop is generally over priced.  I found it worthwhile to upgrade to a Silver account, but only because it was essentially free to me: free Station Cash from pump-priming give-aways and included in 2 retail box purchases.

The restrictions are irritating, but as others have noted, they are not as bitter to those who have only played the free version.  They only feel like a straitjacket to those of us who play on the paid servers.  I don't raid or PvP, so I don't obsess about Expert/Master spell upgrades.  The most annoying things I've encountered are the broker restrictions (I am NOT about to buy their tokens!) and the redefining of some Mastercrafted gear as Legendary-equivalent.

The point is. That even the subscription model on EQ2Extended is a rip off.

To get the same level of access to the game. You would have to go with Platinum, wich means you have to pay 200 bucks up front for a whole year. Wich comes down to almost 17 bucks a month!!!

While if you have to pay a year up front. You can do that with EQ2 Live (the regular servers) for less than 145 buks for a full year!! That's just 12 bucks a month!!

And like I said in my previous post. As new player you can pick up the Sentinels Faith Expac box for between 9 and 20 bucks at the store or online (like Amazon.com), get ALL previous expacs included plus free 30 days!

Then you can play on the EQ2Live servers with no restrictions.

The whole EQ2Extended is basically just a SCAM!  As to play at the same unrestricted level as EQ2live you have to pay 17 bucks a month compaired to 12 bucks a month on EQ2Live (as you have to pay a full year up front for Platinum).

• AzureblazeAzureblaze Member UncommonPosts: 130

IMO EQ2 is for sure worth a sub. It's still my preferred MMO and I keep going back to it.

I'm not a fan of the new spell graphics..but it's still a great game.

Originally posted by Azureblaze

IMO EQ2 is for sure worth a sub. It's still my preferred MMO and I keep going back to it.

I agree. The regular aka EQ2Live servers is still great to play on. Sertainly worth a sub.

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

I just payed $200 for a years sub on the Extended servers. I get no limits, and 500 SC a month which will easily do me. It's def worth it since there is a huge population. And yes, it comes down to $17 a month, but I get $5 worth of SC as well.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I'm gold on EQ2X

theres really only 3 differences between EQ2X gold and Live

on EQ2X Gold

- have to unlock some races w cash

- no veteran rewards

- if you want to start a guild, will have pay 10.00

I think EQ2Live is more attractive for what it offers w veteran rewards

but I like having the option that I can keep playing the game anytime (with restrictions) w no monthly fee

also...

EQ2X doesnt have buy any expansions at all if they dont want to,  but will always be 1 expansion behind

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/2/feature/4465/EverQuest-II-EQ-II-Extended-Fan-Faire-Panel.html

* Extended players will always remain one expansion behind the Live servers.

Originally posted by AlysenMinase

I just payed $200 for a years sub on the Extended servers. I get no limits, and 500 SC a month which will easily do me. It's def worth it since there is a huge population. And yes, it comes down to $17 a month, but I get $5 worth of SC as well.

Im not disagree with any of your figures i just think its funny that you spent that much yet your playing Ryzom?

Go go sandbox!!! lol

Sorry im a Ryzom fanboi i cant help it.

Just for the record.

DDO and LOTRO kept their same price in subs. Just 12,99 a month. And as VIP you also get 500 TP a month. Truly for free!

So that $5 worth of SC you pay yourself. They just force it through your throat on EQ2Ex !

But hey... I guess that's why Turbine's F2P Hybrid model conversion truly is a succes and $OE just got themselves another failure on their hands with EQ2Ex.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by Azureblaze

I agree. The regular aka EQ2Live servers is still great to play on. Sertainly worth a sub.

I'm hearing complaints that EQ2 servers aren't getting new players anymore (and having trouble finding groups) since they're heading to extended...is this true? (not trolling...I want to know which one I should play on if I decide to come back to EQ2)

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

All things considered that is a bit expensive to me.  I can readily admit that I like the gameplay of LOTRO over that of EQ2 I still feel like as a casual observer there is much more bang for your buck with Turbines model.  That being said though EQ2X by default is the next closest thing to a player friendly f2p model.

For me though if it came down to free to play options etc. I think the prices you just quoted are kind of crazy, that's almost the same price as some of these games lifetime subscriptions and this is only for a year.  The point bonus adds some value but I only question if one would pay that much to play a f2p mmorpg that has been out why not just sub to the regular game?

All told to me this is still a step in the right direction honestly, from my inpression of SOE they could have easily created something much worse than they have created.  And the mmorpg genre could really use a shot in the arm like the f2p hybrid options being adopted by some of these companies.

The bottom line is that it is creating ways for them to generate extra revenue (often without too bad effects on current sub rates) which will hopefully allow for more frequent updates and overall better service in the future.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....