Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reactivating old account

ZimbaZimba Member UncommonPosts: 52

Hello,

So here we go, my first post on the mmorpg forums.

I bought the game when it was launched but didn't choose to pay beyond the first free month as at the time there wasn't that much of end game content or it was barely working due to bugs and such. I have on multiple occasions thought about coming back but I wasn't sure if my laptop could run the game smoothly. Now, with the unlimited free trial I got the chance to try how the game worked, and I am satisfied with the performance.

So, my question is, as I cannot post on the age of conan forums without an account, that will I still have my characters on my account if I just choose to get gametime for my old account ? I read about character deletions on inactive accounts but that was concerning only characters under level 20. Personally, I think just getting the gametime might save some time as I would have my 70+ guardian, and the free lvl 50 toon. Or should I just go for the expansion pack directly, which would still give me a month of playtime with the new zones and features. Is leveling fast nowadays ? I can remember running out of quests constantly and doing some heavy grinding in the days of launch.

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• DismantledDismantled Member UncommonPosts: 121

I've been out of game for a few months myself but planning on coming back as well. From my understanding you should have you'r toons' that were over level 20.  The expansion is nice but only for lvl 80's in my opinion. It's also very easy to level in this game. I had 7 lvl 80's by the time I quit (due only to personal reasons.) As far as RoTGS goes I would certainly get it if you were going to come back eventhough most of the content is for level 80's. However if you want to roll a new character there's some decent content early on. Overalll the game is much improved despite what most people will tell you. Hope this answered some of your questions.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

The expansion adds a new race, a new 20 - 40 zone, and a lot of level 80+ zones. I would recomend the expansion mostly because you are already close to the level plus the free 30 days that go with the expansion.  

• ZimbaZimba Member UncommonPosts: 52

Thanks for the fast replies.

The initial concern for me was that I didn't know if I could still play with my old character. I will upgrade the expansin probably after purchasing gametime, because I won't get the free month with the expansion as I already have an existing account with the original age of conan game.  I have to say that it is tempting to just get the expansion and uprgade the trial as it is only 20 euros for age of conan, rise of the godslayer and a month of gametime, but I just feel I save a lot of time when I get to play my old character and create a free lvl 50 toon.

Do you know anything about veteran points, and what I can get with them ? I was just reading the AoC forums, and someone mentioned coming back after a year of not playing, and said their account had accumulated a lot of veteran points while not playing. If I can get something useful with the veteran points, that would also be a nice incentive for me to keep my old account.

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

I think the account will accumulate verteran points as long as your subbed, not when you not subbed. And it also counts all months since the accounts activation.

Don`t worry about leveling, the first 50 is not so hard, and the last 30 who can feel longer is not really that hard. Then you have a free offfline level that you get every 4th day also.

The 20-35 area in Khitai is really fun, but make sure you try the original areas also, they are very beutiful, at least Aquilonia 20-35 and Cimmeria 20+. Never spent alot of time in Stygia 20-35, but 35-40 has some nice instances down there with some awesome encounters.

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

I played for the free month and an extra month from Launch (i pre ordered) before leaving the game, i also created a trial account 4 days ago to see if i could get back into the game instead of wasting £10.34 to resub and find i still didn't want to play the game. Last night i resubbed my original account and ALL 4 of my characters are still alive and kicking, lvl 53 Conqueror, lvl 50 Ranger, lvl 10 Guardian and a lvl 13 Dark Templar. all present and correct after 2 years and 4 months out of game.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

you will definitely not regret resubbing. your chars will await you there, and you will have some vet.points to be spent on e.g. xp pots wich help leveling (altough not necessary at all).

Awesome, I think thats all the information I need. Its kind of a shame that I didn't come back until now. Somehow got really discouraged by the launch, and then forgot to come back and see what the state of the game was. Just seems like the population is at an all time low at the moment, and it doesn't seem like its  getting any larger any time soon. But I was lucky enough to get a couple of friends to try the trial and join too, so leveling should be pretty ok, and the empty zones in mid-game should not create any problems( group quests, instances, possible ganking etc.).

I think we might roll on the EU server Fury, which is PvP. Anyone know if there's a lot of ganking going on ?

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

Fury is kinda dead i heard - all those rednecks moved to Crom :)   which is crowded.  But if you are in pvp, Fury it is. (just dont come whining on the forums like all the other furies, when you get hit in the face :D  )

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

AoC is probably the only game I am tempted to come back to.  I played solidly for 6 months but never got to level 80.  I have 3 above 70 still.  I actually didn’t leave as I really liked the game but due to population dropping a fair bit I got a little tired with trying to find people to group with and then my clan pretty much dissolved so the city building stopped and I didn’t have any mates that played. The final straw was crafting. I don’t mind the system at all but I prefer games which have crafting at the heart and player made stuff is always best.  I found too many every day missions gave gear that was better.

So in saying that I am looking at the expansion and I figure if I get 2-3 months of good solo play then I am happy enough.  I think AoC is really underrated.  It’s a gorgeous game, probably the best looking fantasy game out there.  Real fatal blows that make other games seem a little bland.  Plus once I really got my head around how to use my character properly, combat was fluid, exciting and skill actually made a massive difference. 

I know people drop WAR alongside AoC as epic fails for major companies but for me there is a huge difference.  AoC has some epic encounters and it’s almost up there for a solo game like quality.  WAR IMOis just too 2d and bland and I can understand why it fails. 

AoC and Vanguard deserve a much higher population now for what they are today.  Both had shocking launches but both in essence are now massive games, have huge content and are really up there.

I think I am definitely heading back, just need to find some time. 

• MeznerMezner Member UncommonPosts: 23

I was really thinking of going back too but after doing some research I changed my mind due to the PvP aspect of the game for it was known has really changed for the worse. The GD that took over has focused on PvE and thats fine but in regards to PvP he took a somewhat skill based game and turned it into a item based game. They boosted items.. I think it was a 20% increase in stats and on top of that introduced the Ranger class which is like a WoW type with tons of CC and the tab click system of WoW and it's clones.  Also, they classes that have issues/bugs have yet to be addressed even after 2 years.

To be honest the game had a great sense of direction before this major PvE push. Don't get me wrong PvE content is always good. However, if the current issues are not being addressed and issues from 2 years ago.. well... that is kind of mind numbing. 

I must give the GD some credit he does have guts enough to answer forum posts.. even if he doesn't listen to them.. lulz

AoC is still the same in some regards and better on the PvE fronts. The graphics are sick and the music is great! If you can get past the fallen state of PvP and just deal with the bugs it could be a great game for you.

I resubbed my old account on Thrusday, and I have to say, I should have done it earlier. I got to agree with you Chryses. The flow of combat is unmatched by many mmorpg's and I feel very immersed in the game world. I startd a bear shaman 3 days ago, and hes a beast, as I dinged 40 yesterday.

Looking forward to patch 2.1 as it seems like funcom is focusing more on patching pvp now, unlike previosly, as Mezner said. Theyre trying  to make the guardian less of a faceroll class to play in group pvp, and makin s&s more viable. I think the mini pvp items will have their requiremens lowered too, havent seen the full notes yet. Seems like there still is a lot of new player coming to the game, something I've noticed while leveling. There are players that have just started playing, and are leveling their first character, which is nice as I get have some open world pvp on the side and I don't need to quest alone. Playing on EU server Fury atm.

• NerghalNerghal Member Posts: 8

I bought a new graphics card last weekend, which is always an occasion to revisit some games your previous setup was struggling with. As I still had AoC installed, I made a trial account to check it out in full glory, and before I knew I had spent the entire evening playing. I ended up resubbing my main account and started a new (Khitan) character last night. Having a blast again :)

I also relogged to my level 56 ToS, but I completely forgot how to play her. By the time I had read all feat descriptions, I was ganked a few times and decided to retire her for now... I really liked their playstile though so am thinking of starting a new ToS, just to learn the ropes again...