Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Fail: 2 years between (mini) expansions...

trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Seriously, this must be a joke.

Yes, I know they switched over to F2P, but somehow Sony managed to do that with EQ2 and still worked on another full XP due out in Feb 2011.

I have to admit, I was completely wrong about the F2P switch. I really thought Turbine would be pushing out stuff in the cash shop to buy, be it boosters or a new mount or outfit every months.

But instead, their strategy (besides selling the stat tomes) is to sell re-cycled content available in the game to the new people for insanely high prices.

I mean, look at SoA + Moria. It was a little more than a year (like what, 16 months? Maybe a year and a half). It was a full expansion pack and in between we got what 3 areas? (Evendim, Forochel, and Eregion)

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

You don't need to be a genius to realize, that with the lifetime system, the money flow will eventually slow down sooner or later. As more and more portion of your playerbase become lifetimers, your monthly income goes down dramatically. Hence, there was a lot of content updates between SoA - Moria times, and there's basically no or very little new content ever since.

REALITY CHECK

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Well and the F2P didn't seem to have helped either. Altho they try to portrait it like a huge success.

What do they think?  That people are going to sit around for another FULL year till they get some new content?

A new RAID and more recycled old content in spring isn't going to keep people busy for a FULL year. lol.

Enedwaith was a HUGE dissapointment. Just a horrible rep quests grind zone with piss poor rewards. That was it. We had to wait almost a FULL year just for that. lol.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Ummm they just switched to f2p and already have three content updates to be released in the next 6 months Atleast one is a major expansion. That's not even including the revamped monsterplay mechanic coming down the pipe. Honestly it sounds like the op is just trying to sway people to that horrific EQx f2p model by pointing out something as meaningless as a year and a half wait for a major expansion which is normal for today's mmos.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Ummm they just switched to f2p and already have three content updates to be released in the next 6 months Atleast one is a major expansion. That's not even including the revamped monsterplay mechanic coming down the pipe. Honestly it sounds like the op is just trying to sway people to that horrific EQx f2p model by pointing out something as meaningless as a year and a half wait for a major expansion which is normal for today's mmos.

Ehmm I don't know what you have been smoking or drinking. But at least here it's still FALL 2010. Not Spring 2011.

And what 3 major content updates are planned? Except for this announced mini expansion (mirkwood was mini as well) that is a FULL year away.

The november patch is nothing more than fix of the horrible new bank inventory system no one wanted and revamp of the crafting profession. Not new content.

The only thing they say what is coming, is a single new RAID along with probably more old recycled content in a future book update. Wich is still far away as well.

For people that already have level65 characters. They have been waiting for new content since Mirkwood from FALL 2009 !!

As Enedwaith, the zone that came with the F2P, is nothing more than a boring rep quest grind zone, with piss poor rewards. It's not even funny.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

It was a year and a half wait for EQ2's last expansion, which was a very small expansion and one of their worst to date.  The upcoming expansion won't be a full expansion either, but will be released in two phases supposedly with the second half coming next summer.   The content releases in EQ2 since the cash shop was introduced has been getting smaller.  So honestly don't think Sony is doing any better of a job.

The November update is one and it is new content... Task system (what's this? OMG content?). Isenguard in Q1 2011 that's two and it was already announced. Dev post hinting at a monster play revamp after the next expansion that's three, also considering new quest & smirks are the only way to guarentee people will keep using the cash shop and if DDO is any indication you could expect more soon.

Also wait for today's announcement it will clarify everything or Atleast be very close to that. So please relax... The f2p model will bring u new shit to do lol.

Originally posted by Rockgod99

The November update is one and it is new content... Task system (what's this? OMG content?). Isenguard in Q1 2011 that's two and it was already announced. Dev post hinting at a monster play revamp after the next expansion that's three, also considering new quest & smirks are the only way to guarentee people will keep using the cash shop and if DDO is any indication you could expect more soon. Also wait for today's announcement it will clarify everything or Atleast be very close to that. So please relax... The f2p model will bring u new shit to do lol.

Maybe you should read again. The Isengard expac in Q1 2011 ?? REALLY ??  Since when is it FALL in the first Quarter of the year ?? Did I miss something that they changed the seasons of the year somewhere??

Plus the Task system in the November update is just cheap repeatable crap for lower levels who don't want to pay for a sub nor want to buy the Quest packs.

For subscribers like me (and many others) the Task system is not for us.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

You guys should be excited...

It only took Turbine... 3 years+ to get through the first book.

You still have 2 whole books to go.  Hehe they only own the IP til 2014 or 2017 (if they buy up) so at this rate.. you'll NEVER get book 3.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Yeah I'm bored with LOTRO again for now. I'd like to see some new content sooner rather than later. I could always grind alts but I'm suffering burnout on that game so I'd rather wait for something new than replay the old stuff.

I dont know whats so hard to understand...

They need money no? How will they get money with a new f2p model?

Same way they did it with DDO... Content!

If you can't wait a few months go play something else and stop crying lol.

Edit: Do you guys really think Turbine is going to wait until Q3 to relase any new content? really? This is no longer a game where a bunch of lifetimer free loaders pre-paid a 12 months sub and got the game for free forever... They get to nickle and dime people now and to do that they need constant content updates that requires people to buy from the shop in at least a quarterly basis.

If they don't do that why bother making the game shift to a freemium model?

Not to sound like a complete dick but as a retired Raider I need to ask you current raiders something.

Why the hell would you be playing Lotro as your Raid game of choice?

Its clear what Turbine is doing by making scalable dungeons and solo enabled skirms...

If the writing wasnt on the wall with 3 man dungeons It totally will be when they let people solo all the old dungeon content with their skirm soldier...

Guys do yourselves  afavor and find a real progressive raid game...

This is a game for casuals, people that enjoy the journey and lore, not for the Raid or die i need raid stuff now!!!!!!!!!!!!! crowd..

Im new and even i can see this...

Maybe go join the Rift beta? I read that that game is raid centric.

Edit: again im not trying to be an ass, or bait anyone. but its pretty obvious what Turbine is doing even from a new players perspective... When i came into this game and saw that you had solo instanced content, good crafted stuff, scalable dungeons and a 3 man dungeon endgame... I knew if i was going to be a hardcore raider again i would need a different game...

• bandontcarebandontcare Member Posts: 72

Any addtition to the game is considered content except maybe balance changes. Not sure about revamps but they are introduing a new raid/dungeon cluster, new spells for 2 classes and some new consumables, tasks etc. So this is new content whether you like it or not that's a different story. You can't say no new content.

Why do people assume the new patch in 'the beginning of the year' means May/June/July. I say it means January. Prove me wrong! Basically it's all down to assumptions.

Bottom line is MMOs have little content to show for their subs that's why I am playing online games + single player games. True for all MMOs.

There is one constant really - xpacs bring the end of real content between xpacs. WoW had 13-14 patches before TBC, 4 patches between TBC and WOTLK and 3 patches between Wotlk and Cata. Time intervals about the same. So xpacs = bad mkay ? :D

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

new content coming.  If you think it is slow please go play another game where your every whim is attended to on  a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Oh, let us know which game does that. Thanks.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Are all the people that swamped this game after it became F2P just now realizing this game has a serious lack of endgame content?

Maybe now people will stop flooding the photos section with dialed up screenshots of LoTROs "hyper-realistic" DX11 graphics

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Meh to be honest I do wish they moved a little quicker with expansions ala Sony, but the difference is Turbine tends to not be a company as likely to shovel out shit expansions simply as their way to keep the games they make viable and making them money so I'm not sure that they do need to move as fast as Sony but certainly would appreciate them moving faster than they are right now.  I also give them something of a pass since they obviously had to work on the f2p I just hope after this next expansion they do release them quicker.

One responder though really tickled my qoose when trying to speculate that they aren't really making all that much when they went f2p, give me a break if they didn't I doubt they would make it seem like they did, and hell if they didn't I'm not too sure we would have had this expansion announced so soon if I took the environment around the game pre f2p launch as any indication.

In all the time between expansions is something I definitely think they can work on but they are going to have tons of new players who are not vets and won't be waiting around for the next expansion, and let's be honest the damn game is free to play, anyone with that big of a problem can cancel sub or ignore that lifetime sub until they release the expansion.

It gives me a nice smirk and eyeroll when people make posts insinuating that since they are bored and angry with a games slow development they will not even touch the games expansions etc., who are you people fooling?  If you are bored when it releases you'll more than likely be firing it up like the rest of us.

And in regards to the no new content debate, aren't they adding some 200 plus new quests?  Now I know some will say they have no interest in them, considering the type of quests they are my interest is only marginal but it doesn't change the fact that these are quests being added in this update.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Are all the people that swamped this game after it became F2P just now realizing this game has a serious lack of endgame content?

Maybe now people will stop flooding the photos section with dialed up screenshots of LoTROs "hyper-realistic" DX11 graphics

Has nothing to do with the amount of new people. It has everything to do with them working on their new console mmo.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

I think i read that the next content we get is a raid cluster early next year, it was mentioned somewhere that parts of it are already in internal testing.

Currently they are putting effort into making the F2P model better, which imho is a good choice. Removal of level 50 cap, breaking up the older expansions into smaller parts and introducing repeatable quest content(Tasks) is very important for making this game a better F2P, and thus attracting a bigger share of players. 

Also if you don't think the current endgame content is good enough you can unsubscribe and ... ohh lookie, you can still play it. Id say Turbine should be very interested in fixing that by adding NEW content long before fall 2011.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Turbine adds more content faster than almost all MMOs and yet people are complaining. Looking forward to a new expansion next year and the content updates in between.

Seems like people think that level cap raise is the only way to expand a MMO, yet there is always tons of people complaining every time there is a level cap raise... When LotrO get a new zone people complain, when they add new raids/Instances people complain, when they add something else people complain.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

I am puzzled why they came with this announcement now. It is a year away and who knows today if it gets delayed even further. It hardly makes anyone happy. Newcomers have plenty to do already and yet another mandatory purchase is not making them happy. Old timers won't be happy knowing they have dry year ahead.

The crafting update has one major issue: you can power-level exclusively via cash shop and buy gear in cash shop now. That you cannot sell gear purchased via cash shop is no surprise, hardly motivated by game balance, it is there to prevent excessive credit card fraud. Granted, it is just small part of the game, just crafting, but still.

• KertKert Member UncommonPosts: 71

I'm puzzled as to why people have come to accept one major expansion in a year, and maybe if we're lucky 3 small content tweaks in the same time frame?

When I first started playing MMO's I thought the whole point of a monthly subscription was to allow the devs to continue pushng out content on a monthly basis, thats the incentive for playing a subscription game over a buy the box play it until you're done, game. Isn't it?

I'm glad they're at least working on something, but with little to no incentive to log in currenty (I'm on of those people who don't waste time running quests if I'm at lvl cap not getting xp for them), at least I know in a year I'll have 5 lvls to play through.

This game, and most MMO's in general seem to have a case of altitis, where instead of creating enough content to keep one main character busy and happy, just tell them to roll an alt and play the same content over again with a different class/profession/etc...

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Three zones least initially with the expansion and everything that will entail seems rather large to me.  Add to that the fact that stunningly, amazingly, they're actually going to add some content from a PvM perspective sounds like a rather sweet expansion to me.

Granted who knows what all it will have at this point.  Still quite a ways off.  I'm rather stoked for it myself.  It would be kind of interesting to see if they could revamp GA and Fornost like they did GB to make  additional content for endgame players and raiders. In addition to brand new endgame content for players and raiders that is.

I think I'm still trying to grasp the fact  they're actually putting an effort into PvM.  Never thought I would see the day. Heh

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Kert

I'm puzzled as to why people have come to accept one major expansion in a year, and maybe if we're lucky 3 small content tweaks in the same time frame?
    When I first started playing MMO's I thought the whole point of a monthly subscription was to allow the devs to continue pushng out content on a monthly basis, thats the incentive for playing a subscription game over a buy the box play it until you're done, game. Isn't it?
    I'm glad they're at least working on something, but with little to no incentive to log in currenty (I'm on of those people who don't waste time running quests if I'm at lvl cap not getting xp for them), at least I know in a year I'll have 5 lvls to play through.
    This game, and most MMO's in general seem to have a case of altitis, where instead of creating enough content to keep one main character busy and happy, just tell them to roll an alt and play the same content over again with a different class/profession/etc...

Stop trolling. No mmo currently releases monthly content patches. Why single out lotro?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by trancejeremy

I mean, look at SoA + Moria. It was a little more than a year (like what, 16 months? Maybe a year and a half). It was a full expansion pack and in between we got what 3 areas? (Evendim, Forochel, and Eregion)

Yeah what kind of loser MMO would only release expansions every second year?

Really, SOE is almost the only company that releases expansions for most of their games every year. And while that have it´s advantages there is also a downside since many expansions tend to turn the older parts of the game to a useless and rarely visited lesson in futility. You get worse rewards, fewer xp and so on when playing in the older zones. And no one is there anyways so good luck finding a group.

Places like Antonica and Thundering steppes in EQ2 are empty, no players anywhere. They all hang out in newer zones instead where the reward is better.

Also do the constant increase in level and AA affect the balance in the game and have made them to make leveling a lot faster, which made low level gaming incredible easy and fast.

There are of course good things with expansions but releasing them too often is not a good idea either, there is a reason most MMOs only make expansions every 2 years. Blaming it on F2P is just wrong, games like AoC and Wow are still P2P and do the same.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.