Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population continues to fall with time extention

As reported on various blogs and forums in Japan the average player populations continue to fall regardless of SE's attempts to delay it. 

" Average daily player populations continue to plummet, standing at 24,277 at the latest count: "

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
"The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Well I am not suprised.  Who wants to stick around with such an abomination of a game. Only the relegiously diehard fans maybe?

This game needs at least another year of development and fixing, before it's even close to ready.

At least games like Age of Conan and Warhammer Online had content at release. lol.

I rather deal with a buggy MMO at release any time, than an empty shell with nothing in it.

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

I totally agree, you would think people would go play their mmo thats so much better and not buggy. Instead they post numbers and charts that people care little to none about now, we get it you can stop now. And no im not playing FFXIV, i got the CE and admit the game is not playable and wont be playable till PS3 release. Now im playing FFXI and currently enjoying it until march.

Just get over it, move on the your mmo that doesnt make you want to punch babies. Your own fault if you wasted 50-80 bucks because you got free open beta to see the state of the launch.

Originally posted by Darkfalz89

I totally agree, you would think people would go play their mmo thats so much better and not buggy. Instead they post numbers and charts that people care little to none about now, we get it you can stop now. And no im not playing FFXIV, i got the CE and admit the game is not playable and wont be playable till PS3 release. Now im playing FFXI and currently enjoying it until march.

Just get over it, move on the your mmo that doesnt make you want to punch babies. Your own fault if you wasted 50-80 bucks because you got free open beta to see the state of the launch.

Seriously. I was really really glad I did play the Open Beta. And so could save myself the 50 bucks.

Just like I did with CO and STO and could save myself the money on those turds as well.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

HAHAHA  good one. 

I didn't spend a dime on the game.  The information is relevant to a lot of people and is not necessarily intended for the perma-fans or people who already purchased/tried the game out. 

It's good info.  and if I was looking at the game I would kind of like to know what the population was like.  If people aren't sticking around for the additional free time..   well....  that's an issue a lot of people may find important.

Try to keep the thread civil guys, no need to get bent out of shape over server population information. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by choujiofkono

HAHAHA  good one. 

I didn't spend a dime on the game.  The information is relevant to a lot of people and is not necessarily intended for the perma-fans or people who already purchased/tried the game out. 

It's good info.  and if I was looking at the game I would kind of like to know what the population was like.  If people aren't sticking around for the additional free time..   well....  that's an issue a lot of people may find important.

Try to keep the thread civil guys, no need to get bent out of shape over server population information. 

Do you mind if I ask you a question on that part in red up there ^^? Why, if you honestly believe this information is so important to others, do you not post this kind of data on any other game besides FFXIV? I'm just curious, you would think if it was in fact important information, and you were just a civil servant of the people, why won't you post this type of information about all the other games out there? I play LoTRO, how come I dont have these nice charts for that game? I also play Aion, CoX, WoW, WAR, and FE, why not post some of this useful information about those games too? I mean you dont even play FFXIV, why the single minded interest in putting out data for this ONE game only if in fact it really is for the good of everyone?

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Wowwwwwwww I thought that said 500,000 at the top and not 50,000 <.<.

As long as they can get this game to ps3 or xbox or whatever, Being the first real MMO on those systems, they will be fine.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Originally posted by ScribZ

HAHAHA  good one. 

Do you mind if I ask you a question on that part in red up there ^^? Why, if you honestly believe this information is so important to others, do you not post this kind of data on any other game besides FFXIV? I'm just curious, you would think if it was in fact important information, and you were just a civil servant of the people, why won't you post this type of information about all the other games out there? I play LoTRO, how come I dont have these nice charts for that game? I also play Aion, CoX, WoW, WAR, and FE, why not post some of this useful information about those games too? I mean you dont even play FFXIV, why the single minded interest in putting out data for this ONE game only if in fact it really is for the good of everyone?

Well I for one like to know how the game is going and what direction it will take so I do not spend my cash on fans information about the game. Good to know factual inforamation saves me time and money.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Thank you Chou for the weekly update.  Unlike the fanboys above, I appreciate reading about the quickly dwindling population of this game.  It's like having my morning coffee.

What's worse is they continue to pump in "free" time to the game and have a hard time keeping people around a FREE game.

Watching with gleeful anticipation of these so called miracle patches due out before the PS3 launch.  Anyone wanna take bets that SE hedges their losses by not even bothering with a PS3 launch and ditching the effort all together?

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by Ikeda

Thank you Chou for the weekly update.  Unlike the fanboys above, I appreciate reading about the quickly dwindling population of this game.  It's like having my morning coffee.

What's worse is they continue to pump in "free" time to the game and have a hard time keeping people around a FREE game.

Watching with gleeful anticipation of these so called miracle patches due out before the PS3 launch.  Anyone wanna take bets that SE hedges their losses by not even bothering with a PS3 launch and ditching the effort all together?

Not realy, they have too much money to throw around and the engine is already developed and written off. They keep this game alive until it is fixed just like they did with the trainwreck FF11 was 10 years ago.

I just had a look at Deus EX gameplay trailer and it looks great and will bring in some serious cash for SE. (for those interested to watch click here)

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• solarfoxsolarfox Member Posts: 53

all i ever want was to to know if there a good sever to start on and if there any guild recuiting is that to much to ask :-(

Originally posted by solarfox

all i ever want was to to know if there a good sever to start on and if there any guild recuiting is that to much to ask :-(

If you currently play i would suggest the http://www.ffxivpro.com forums and shop around, theres also  http://ffxiv.zam.com  I however do NOT suggest asking here because the trolls are aplenty. Id still recommend sitting it out till the 25th of this month tho.

@Darkfalz

While I understand this is HARDLY hard evidence, I find it interesting that the F2P game you're harping on is in XFire's top 10 while the game you are upset about Chou posting about is quickly falling out of the top 100 (and it's only been out 3 months, and is FREE for everyone to play who purchased the game for over 90+ days).

LOTRO:  http://www.xfire.com/games/lotro/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_Online/

Raptr LOTRO:  http://raptr.com/game/PC/The_Lord_Of_The_Rings_Online?qt=game&qi=0

FFXIV:  http://www.xfire.com/games/ffxiv/Final_Fantasy_XIV/

Raptr FFXIV:  http://raptr.com/game/PC/Final_Fantasy_XIV_Online?qt=game&qi=0

Please especially note trend line for Raptr for FFXIV is strangely similar to the findings of Chou's Japanese site.

Oh gawd, he busted out the XFIRE NUMBERS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /sarcasm off. Im not harping about Lotro, i am simply suggesting a more flavorful group of threads which means I do agree with you. All mmos struggle and launch as imcomplete messes and it takes time to clean up.

btw no one uses xfire and using xfire numbers is as "factual" as me making a plot graph of my prediction of the pop of the game in my above post.

Well aware but as those are the only 2 real resources at the moment.  I understand (and pre-stated) that there ARE problems with the numbers but for general ideas they do confirm in general.  It would be VERY telling for SE to release their numbers but we all know THAT isn't going to happen.

True, but in all honesty i dont like running extra things on my computer much like everyone else because its a waste of resources. I have a 2000 dollar setup and i STILL wont even run steam unless im using it, and i find that speaks well for all the people like me and even morso the larger populus of ppl t hat DONT have a 2000 dollar PC.

• wizyear2099wizyear2099 Member UncommonPosts: 310

@Darkfalz

While I understand this is HARDLY hard evidence, I find it interesting that the F2P game you're harping on is in XFire's top 10 while the game you are upset about Chou posting about is quickly falling out of the top 100 (and it's only been out 3 months, and is FREE for everyone to play who purchased the game for over 90+ days).

LOTRO:  http://www.xfire.com/games/lotro/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_Online/

Raptr LOTRO:  http://raptr.com/game/PC/The_Lord_Of_The_Rings_Online?qt=game&qi=0

FFXIV:  http://www.xfire.com/games/ffxiv/Final_Fantasy_XIV/

Raptr FFXIV:  http://raptr.com/game/PC/Final_Fantasy_XIV_Online?qt=game&qi=0

Please especially note trend line for Raptr for FFXIV is strangely similar to the findings of Chou's Japanese site.

LOTR wasn't in the top 10 when it came out either lol, it shouldn't be a top 10 game anyhow because the longterm content isn't as great thats why it went F2P in a year. SE with ff11 has been out for 8 years an still not F2P. Some companies as you can see will have money to never take the F2P route because they will always have money an their games do have great longterm value. Xfire isn't a great source of using to monitor population while that means nothing anyhow for a games fun factor because some games in top 10 didn't last me that long at all. This isn't popularity contest lol, some people will never stop playing reguardless an won't have to go free to keep the game running. games like LOTR would close down if they didn't go F2P though, turbine is not the greatest company overall. Notice d&d online also is f2p with turbine. SE will gain again because they just have the money to an the games content over time is something people will pay for.

Took the words out of my mouth, well said friend.

For the sake of arguement (and to keep with the standard):

FFXI:  http://www.xfire.com/games/ff11o/Final_Fantasy_XI/

FFXI Raptr:  http://raptr.com/game/PC/Final_Fantasy_XI_Online

Now given that Xfire polls are HUGELY eschewed... FFXI has 80 people currently playing daily.  LOTRO 3,500+ (daily).  Take that for what you will but that is a MASSIVELY HUGE difference.

I'd REALLY love to find the numbers for the pre-F2P LOTRO and compare but I can't seem to scrounge these up.  Anyone's Google-fu better than mine?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

As reported on various blogs and forums in Japan the average player populations continue to fall regardless of SE's attempts to delay it. 

" Average daily player populations continue to plummet, standing at 24,277 at the latest count: "

I don't play FFxIV and I'm not that big a fan of SE games, well.. not a fan at all of them. I have to ask where are you pulling these charts from? I'm not aware of SE releasing any numbers (if so they'd be all over I'm sure) What is the source of this information, how are these numbers gauged, and who is charting them?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Malickie

[picture omitted]

I don't play FFxIV and I'm not that big a fan of SE games, well.. not a fan at all of them. I have to ask where are you pulling these charts from? I'm not aware of SE releasing any numbers (if so they'd be all over I'm sure) What is the source of this information, how are these numbers gauged, and who is charting them?

At any given time you can open the party menu and see how many people are currently in the game. Obviously these change throughout the day with people comming in an out of their "prime times"

Charts like the on the OP posted hold no significant value at all as long as you don't have the full information. As a chart itself it's nothing but a picture with pretty dots.

Information that is missing and essential for a scientific approach:

1. Server Name and general Server population by region. There are NA, EU and JP favoured servers. Obviously they produce completely different numbers depending on their prime time (see 2)

2. It has to include multiple sample points throughout the day. 3 would be sufficient, NA, EU and JP prime time.

3. Exact time the information was taken. It has to be taken on all servers at roughly the same time (within 30 minutes should be fine).

4. It has to include ALL servers.

If these requirements are not filled, the chart is holding no significant information. Maybe the OP likes to share some of this missing information with us to put the chart into a perspective.

The problem is. If the game is just crap, boring, an empty shell. Then SE can keep throwing all the extra free time they want.

If people do not have fun. If people are bored. If people are frustrated and dissapointed. They just quit and leave.

Extre free time is not gonna help in their situation.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by JeroKane

The problem is. If the game is just crap, boring, an empty shell. Then SE can keep throwing all the extra free time they want.
    If people do not have fun. If people are bored. If people are frustrated and dissapointed. They just quit and leave.

Bingo! People can live with bugs(most of us at least) but we sure as hell won't live with a BORING game.

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by JeroKane

Bingo! People can live with bugs(most of us at least) but we sure as hell won't live with a BORING game.

You see, that's the thing. I am not bored at all, in fact, i am the exact opposite. I am stressed because i can't keep up with the content that is there in and the 36h until leve reset.

I can't get my leves done, harvest materials to sell and make money, craft some dyes for my clothcrafting friends, party with the JP people (they are closer to EU prime time) and exploring new areas to find interesting new things i can harvest.

It's rather dissapointing, i would like to get much more done but i simply don't have the time and i tried playing for 10h on a weekend, it just is not enough.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Malickie

I think the chart is from this site which doesn't provide any source information.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/16035/poor-poor-ffxiv/1/

What's more interesting is the possible news of a 3rd free month, which would be unheard of and of course looks like they are trying to prevent a huge mass exodus of players before the PS3 launch.

I don't mind seeing numbers like this posted periodically, helps me follow the progress of the game in case I should ever be interested in playing it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by taus01

At any given time you can open the party menu and see how many people are currently in the game. Obviously these change throughout the day with people comming in an out of their "prime times"

Charts like the on the OP posted hold no significant value at all as long as you don't have the full information. As a chart itself it's nothing but a picture with pretty dots.

Information that is missing and essential for a scientific approach:

1. Server Name and general Server population by region. There are NA, EU and JP favoured servers. Obviously they produce completely different numbers depending on their prime time (see 2)

2. It has to include multiple sample points throughout the day. 3 would be sufficient, NA, EU and JP prime time.

3. Exact time the information was taken. It has to be taken on all servers at roughly the same time (within 30 minutes should be fine).

4. It has to include ALL servers.

If these requirements are not filled, the chart is holding no significant information. Maybe the OP likes to share some of this missing information with us to put the chart into a perspective.

Yeah that's what i figured, the fabeled: I counted everyone who plays, by looking at the player search window, chart.

While it's evident FFXIV isn't doing so stellar, well...it's obvious when SE basically says as much, by offering free time as they have.

These charts are as you basically put it, insignificant. They're worthless in the big picture and for many reasons. Thanks for the heads up though, I already knew that this chart was exactly that (they always are when there's no link), I just wanted someone to confirm it.

@OP really?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

This discussion has been closed.