Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WoW terminally ill?

ErowErow Member Posts: 14

Many changes have been incorporated into the game with the advent of Cataclysm.  Which ones do you like/dislike and do they spell the downfall of the game?  How do you feel about the constant disruption of "business as usual" in capital cities attacked by elementals?

I would have posted this on WoW forums, but the general forums there are locked at the moment.  I wonder why?

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I'm going to go somewhere else before I state my own "I wonder why..." and then get slapped for it.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

WoW isn't ill.  It's probably stronger than it's ever been and just as boring.  The only reason I would log in again is to see the Elementals killing stuff in capital cities.  The Zombie invasion was probably the most fun I've had in WoW in the entire three or four years I played.  But WoW is not going away.  For every person who gets bored and leaves, there's at least one other person who starts playing or starts playing again and that person drags back the person who got bored and left.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Originally posted by Erow

Many changes have been incorporated into the game with the advent of Cataclysm.  Which ones do you like/dislike and do they spell the downfall of the game?  How do you feel about the constant disruption of "business as usual" in capital cities attacked by elementals?

I would have posted this on WoW forums, but the general forums there are locked at the moment.  I wonder why?

Change is required, nothing stays the same except change. Naw, WoW is not headed down hill with "business as usual" in the cities, they too are changing. Regarding the general WoW forums  I would say that it is their fourms for their players and locking them anytime does not require your permission. When  a company caters to the largest subs of any game, they do so considering every move and you just did not get the memo this time son.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Something Cataclysmic happens and everyone panics. Why does that remind me of real life so much? As for why the forums are locked? Because they are in the process of launching new forums. Seriously, if you're going to don the tin-foil hat, at least make sure it's on right. WoW hasn't even had its second wind yet. It's still going strong and gaining more subscribers each year. It's up to 12 million now. I remember when people were saying that it peaked at 11.5, but it's still gaining ground.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Personally I thought WOW had plateaued and began dropping after the huge delay between the 11.5mil sub number, but the recent 12 mil sub number seems to have shattered that hunch.

If they haven't even tapered off from their longtime 11.5 mil sub level, then you can be sure they're going to skyrocket to a pretty big new high once Cataclysm releases.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Title and op don't compute ... error!

• MimiEZMimiEZ Member Posts: 225

The wow forums are working perfectly fine.

The only thing I didn't like was the 32 point talent system, I didn't mind it getting smaller, for I thought the talents would get 100% more interesting, no they just stayed the same pretty much. The disruption in 4 of 8 capital cities isn't bad, I mean an event is happening in the world that is changing everything, so no big deal there, I mean if it really bugged me I'd just go to one of the other capitals that aren't being disrupted.

I don't see anything wrong with the game right now that would make it "terminally ill."

-I want a Platformer MMO

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

The color scheme on the new wow forum is terrible. It makes it hard to read.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by arenasb

I feel the opposite. I think it's really easy to read and has additional functionality that makes it 100 times better. Here's a few examples of it. Looks great to me and I especially like the hover-overs. They are responsive, load quickly and are informative.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011696/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/981678805

I don't know man, I think that overall they look damn near excellent.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

All I know is that I have to squint to read anything on that damn forum. I guess I won't be visiting anymore, don't want to get any headaches.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Kinda, like all of us. Aging is a terminal illness that eventually will get all of us, and the same goes for Wow and any other game.

But CATA in itself is no downfall, it is just that no game can be the largest forever, it is just impossible.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Vanilla 60, Crusade 70, Lich King 80, and Cata 85...

...however, the game is being balanced around 85 at the exclusion of previous level caps.  Talents have been redesigned for 85 - once again penalizing those that have not bought all the xpacs.

It is relatively humorous that they have redesigned 1-60 content while turning their back on 1-60 characters.

Perhaps they have been dipping into their private stores of Kungaloosh...

...as for the attacks on the city, have you noticed the subjective nature of them?  When you want to participate on an alt - it never happens.  When you want to do something normal - it is always happening!  Yes, it is not exactly like that - but lol, that is a general feeling.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to fix all the bugs they have introduced with 4.0.1 and 4.0.3 (and probably 4.0.3a)...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

Originally posted by colddog04

Originally posted by arenasb

I feel the opposite. I think it's really easy to read and has additional functionality that makes it 100 times better. Here's a few examples of it. Looks great to me and I especially like the hover-overs. They are responsive, load quickly and are informative.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011696/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/981678805

I don't know man, I think that overall they look damn near excellent.

I agree, dog.

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

The real question is, are you a doctor? And if so, does WoW get a second opinion?

• DelamekoDelameko Member Posts: 200

Love/hate is the right reaction I think.

First you love it, fighting elementals, playing new content etc.  Then you hate it, because it just keeps getting in your way while trying to other things.

Nothing more annoying than the AH disappearing half-way through an Auctioneer scan, or returning the quest givers in a town only to find they've been killed by elementals and you have to wait for them to respawn.

Also the earthquakes are starting to become really annoying too.  The sooner Cata comes the better at this point.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

At certain times, there simply is nobody around to clear the rifts...so you sit...so you sit...so you sit...so you sit.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%