Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering returning to Aion... Questions for those still playing.

JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

Hey guys,

I am considering buying another copy of Aion to start playing the game again... Ive heard alot about the changes, and am very interested to say the least. My old account got hacked after I left the game and all the info in it including the email attached to the master account was changed, so I cant use my old account and would have to get a new one :(.

How is the game population these days? Anyone around who's stuck it out since launch who can tell me if things are drastically improved? Overall state of the game?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• couldcarelescouldcareles Member Posts: 15

Population is fine but last time I logged on  the game still had all the same issues as when I left like 3-4 months ago.

Still hate the crafting system lol.  Its seen improvement but not enough In my book.  I'm sure others will fill you in with more detail.  I wouldn't re-buy the game because honestly its not worth the money.  Again thats my opinion. 

I'm sure fanboi 9123sephiroth  whatevr whatever will disagree;p.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

The journey has changed for the better sadly the end destination is the same.

A lot of effort has went into 1-55 it really is one of the better journeys on the market however you then hit that wall of gear > skill and RNG.

• Tyvolus1Tyvolus1 Member Posts: 815

game population is fine -- i like all the changes, loot drop increase, solo instances --  I play AION and have fun -- if you have read the patch notes and read about the expansion and it sounds good to you, I suggest coming back.  All you are going to get here is haters saying the game still sucks and they left because the grind still sucks and they dont like the crafting in AION which is just as good and bad as the crafting in every other MMO out there --  to counter that you will get a 10+ year MMO vet like me who is currently sub'd to this and EQ telling you the game is great and then of course the haters will say something about fanboui this or that --  bottom line, you like what you have read about patches.expansions -- then come on back, the game has grown and gotten better.

• Kasp3rKasp3r Member Posts: 67

Never listen to anybody on a forum. Whether they are slamming the game ottelling you how amazing it is. The best thing to do is look for very recent reviews from reputable websites. They pretty much some up many mmos correctly.

Im playing aion again at the moment after returning from a year out and it has changed alot.

More xp gained from quests/mobs. Higher drop rate of epic gear from instance bosses. Plenty of quests to complete mate altho they are very repetetive. Sadly pvp is all but shit to put it bluntly.

If your into PVE, Aion has good PVE but there are other mmos that are better. If your into PVP, its ok but again, there are other mmos with better PVP.

The game is a hell of alot better then it use to be, community is great and friendly. ncsoft are slowly but surely getting this game fixed but with the release soon of many new western korean mmos, be careful about investing time and money into this game unless your gonna stick with it because getting the level 55 will take a long time.

• TheCalamityTheCalamity Member UncommonPosts: 58

The drop rates have drastically increased and thats nice, pvp seems to be slowly getting its lifeforce choked out of it lately, unless you like zerg vs zerg, more instances that are pretty dandy, still a good chunk of people playing, although, most of the servers are unbalanced. Honestly, if it wasn't for the rediculous amount of mobs in the new zones that kind of ruin ground pvp, I'de say NCsoft is finally getting their shit together with this game.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Kasp3r

Never listen to anybody on a forum. Whether they are slamming the game ottelling you how amazing it is. The best thing to do is look for very recent reviews from reputable websites. They pretty much some up many mmos correctly.

Im playing aion again at the moment after returning from a year out and it has changed alot.

More xp gained from quests/mobs. Higher drop rate of epic gear from instance bosses. Plenty of quests to complete mate altho they are very repetetive. Sadly pvp is all but shit to put it bluntly.

If your into PVE, Aion has good PVE but there are other mmos that are better. If your into PVP, its ok but again, there are other mmos with better PVP.

The game is a hell of alot better then it use to be, community is great and friendly. ncsoft are slowly but surely getting this game fixed but with the release soon of many new western korean mmos, be careful about investing time and money into this game unless your gonna stick with it because getting the level 55 will take a long time.

This guys is problably the least biased. I agree that PVP is not all that great but I still enjoy the game and the new content added. Solo dungeons, increased drops, increase xp, will ensure a faster leveling experience. If you are looking for a strong pvp game I wouldn't go to Aion atm. But if you enjoy Pve and some pvp I don't know any other better p2p right now.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Most hit it here.  The game is solid PvE wise especially with the new 2.1 drop increases.  Even normal mobs drop more Kinah then they used to so makign money is pretty easy now.  PvP on the other hand is a bit dry so if you want a 100% PvP game this isnt it. 

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

Honestly, while this sounds like fairly smart advice... its not.

Review sites rarely rate MMOs properly.  Almost all of them are geared towards single player games, and most of them rate them based on single player concepts.  They use weighted score systems that often will make good games seem bad, and bad games seem good.  Many times the reviewer will not even like MMOs to begin with, or have very limited experience playing MMOs and so they have poor criteria to judge them on.

Rarely do these reviewers point out the major flaws in the game(that aren't apparent at first glance), or the major pros.  They just glaze over the wrapping & make general observations.  To really get a feel for the essence of what is good and bad in a game, you need to read the opinions of both haters & fanbois... and pick through the bullshit.

Unsurprisingly, the aggregate user scores on most games are fairly accurate indicications (not the score the website gives them, but the actual users average).  The only MMO that is probably rated unfairly is WoW, just because so many non-confirmists like to hate on it and give it bullshit ratings.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by comerb

Review sites rarely rate MMOs properly.  Almost all of them are geared towards single player games, and most of them rate them based on single player concepts.  They use weighted score systems that often will make good games seem bad, and bad games seem good.  Many times the reviewer will not even like MMOs to begin with, or have very limited experience playing MMOs and so they have poor criteria to judge them on.

Rarely do these reviewers point out the major flaws in the game(that aren't apparent at first glance), or the major pros.  They just glaze over the wrapping & make general observations.  To really get a feel for the essence of what is good and bad in a game, you need to read the opinions of both haters & fanbois... and pick through the bullshit.

Unsurprisingly, the aggregate user scores on most games are fairly accurate indicications (not the score the website gives them, but the actual users average).  The only MMO that is probably rated unfairly is WoW, just because so many non-confirmists like to hate on it and give it bullshit ratings.

Heh but those same WOW fanboi's rate every other MMO down its a viscious circle of fanboism :)

I personally wouldn't review WoW as I never played it 1 look at the graphics once in game was enough to put me off but I also don;t believe its fair to review a game you havent invested time in especially a MMO.

You do really hit the nail on the head with regards to review sites etc,  working in the industry I have seen some of these reviewers ship up at early showings of X play the game for a day then write a review based on 6 hrs play all so the review hits the shelves to coincide with release often leading to flawed reviews that does not take then entire game into account and especially not the end game or general populace.

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

My thoughts for anyone thinking of getting back into Aion:

Do you like PvP? You won't like Aion in its current state. Abyss PvP (forts) is pretty much non-existent, rifts are nerfed, 2.0 PvE forts are boring clickfests.

Do you like grind? Well I never really thought the grind was all that bad in Aion but I'm pretty hard core compared to most and got my end game set long ago. Many many people complain how bad the grind still is however, and I'd have to say at least the end game Miragents/Fenris grind was not really all that fun. Compared to something like WoW though (holy easy mode Batman!) Aion is a "grind" if you want decent gear.

Do you like a decent community? Well don't bother with Aion currently, there is no real leadership from NCsoft and as a result the community is left to fight it out amongst itself. And oh my fight it does! Flame-retardant suits are standard issue for Aion.

Population? It's still one sided on most servers and nothing is really being done to fix it. Again lack of leadership/consultation with the community from NCsoft is the real problem here.

Overall? I'm sure to be flamed like a naked marshmallow at a scout bomb fire for this but you would be better off checking out some of the, ahhem, alternative servers *cough cough* for playing Aion..

Do you like a decent community? Well don't bother with Aion currently, there is no real leadership from NCsoft and as a result the community is left to fight it out amongst itself. And oh my fight it does! Flame-retardant suits are standard issue for Aion.

Heh, I've probably played just about every P2P MMO on the market, and Aion definitely takes home the crown for terrible community.  

Heh, I've probably played just about every P2P MMO on the market, and Aion definitely takes home the crown for terrible community.  

So you played every game server on every game? This is silly WOW chat is way worst than Aion can ever be. Ever heard of barrens chat?

• donkyloldonkylol Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Lathander81

So you played every game server on every game? This is silly WOW chat is way worst than Aion can ever be. Ever heard of barrens chat?

Have you played WoW in the last few months because if you have at all you would know barrens chat is prety much gone.

Originally posted by FearU

My thoughts for anyone thinking of getting back into Aion:

Do you like PvP? You won't like Aion in its current state. Abyss PvP (forts) is pretty much non-existent, rifts are nerfed, 2.0 PvE forts are boring clickfests.

Do you like grind? Well I never really thought the grind was all that bad in Aion but I'm pretty hard core compared to most and got my end game set long ago. Many many people complain how bad the grind still is however, and I'd have to say at least the end game Miragents/Fenris grind was not really all that fun. Compared to something like WoW though (holy easy mode Batman!) Aion is a "grind" if you want decent gear.

Population? It's still one sided on most servers and nothing is really being done to fix it. Again lack of leadership/consultation with the community from NCsoft is the real problem here.

Overall? I'm sure to be flamed like a naked marshmallow at a scout bomb fire for this but you would be better off checking out some of the, ahhem, alternative servers *cough cough* for playing Aion..

I really don't care if you play Aion or not OP but don't listen to this guy. The grind is gone unless you just want to grind. The drop rate is crazy. I went to SR today and 5 blues dropped off trash. The bosses dropped golds and blues too. The population is one of the better ones and sure there is douchebaggery but thats every game. The population is being worked on my free transfers for now. Not only that but Ncsoft is also going to implement a secondary log in to help with security.

The only thing this guy got semi-right was the pvp. Since most level 55 are in the new area, lower level pvp is lacking. But the pve is as entertaining as the best of them.  I say try it with all the improvements you may be pleasently surprised.

Barrens chat sounds like a science convention compared to Aion.  Sorry broseph, but your community sucks. 

And just to be clear, I haven't played WoW in years and am in no way disillusioned with the quality of that community.  But Aion really is far worse.

The only community I would say is close to as bad as Aion is Age of Conan's Tyranny server.  Or maybe Darkfall when it was first released.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Complaining about the community is pointless in this day and age with the number of people playing MMO's, many of which are now very young(compared to old EQ days).  WOW always did and still does have a bad community, forums and in game.  Personally over the past yeaar I have found the best communites in AOC and WAR and actually Aion is worse on Asmo side then elyos(at least on my server).  Ive played plenty of MMO's in the past 12 years where the community is an embarrassment, I just dont find it any worse in Aion then most games.  Just wait for SWTOR, GW2, Tera, Rift, etc to all come out...get ready for it because the communities in all these games will be no different or better.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I enjoyed Aion when I played it but I stopped because I got tied up with traveling and little time to grind or anything but after Christmas I'll probably get back into it.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by thamighty213

Heh but those same WOW fanboi's rate every other MMO down its a viscious circle of fanboism :)

I personally wouldn't review WoW as I never played it 1 look at the graphics once in game was enough to put me off but I also don;t believe its fair to review a game you havent invested time in especially a MMO.
    You do really hit the nail on the head with regards to review sites etc,  working in the industry I have seen some of these reviewers ship up at early showings of X play the game for a day then write a review based on 6 hrs play all so the review hits the shelves to coincide with release often leading to flawed reviews that does not take then entire game into account and especially not the end game or general populace.

LOL that red quoting is so true, the same goes for the frigging Call of Duty fanbois that rate down every other FPS game.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Honestly, they made the pve game really great, at the expense of butchering the pvp gameplay. Luckily, this can probably be fixed with some further fixes to the rifting system and Abyss expansion.

<3

Barrens chat sounds like a science convention compared to Aion.  Sorry broseph, but your community sucks. 

And just to be clear, I haven't played WoW in years and am in no way disillusioned with the quality of that community.  But Aion really is far worse.

The only community I would say is close to as bad as Aion is Age of Conan's Tyranny server.  Or maybe Darkfall when it was first released.

So let be real...when you community do you mean in-game or forums? Because if your talking about in-game then you would have to play on every server to get a realistic scope. The forums don't count cause there are always a few a-holes that make everyone look bad. As a whole (on my server) the community is fine and very helpful. Yes there are losers but thats every MMO.

• A_hiA_hi Member Posts: 87

I gave it a try recently but gave up after about two weeks. Even though they say it's 'westernized' it still feels..foreign to me. That and the terrible, terrible grind (and apparently, the EU/US version has DOUBLE the original Korean version XP....my god) were the biggest cons.

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

How can you guys say the PvE in Aion is good?!?   90% of the boss fights are tank and spank, pretty boring IMO.   Aion's PvE is average at best and that's being kind.   PvP has been nerfed to high hell and is boring.   Unbalanced factions, OP Gear and Higher level players who get their kicks out of ganking people 10-30 levels below them to pad there kill score doesn't help either.

Increased drop rates = Major Inflation, prices have pretty much doubled and tripled in some cases.

For the Crafting, well I've played SWG, Vanguard, EQ2, Warhammer and Age of Conan and I have to say Aion's is the worst.   RNG for the major Fail.  Although if you like dumping millions of kinah to end up with junk to sell to the vender, then you might like it.