Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next, What would you like to see?

Comments

• MuridanMuridan Member Posts: 94

NO cash shop. straight sunscription for a flat fee.

NO playable races that have fur, or are orcs, trolls or anything of the sort.  Humans, Elves and Dwarves only (Elves and Dwarves just barely make the cut)

NO armor "sets" please stop the gear grind tredmil, I want to get off.

Make craftable items be the most powerful in the game, save for a SMALL handful of uber rare items that drop once every lifetime or so. (Think Ultima Online 1997 when a "GM quality" weapon was something to fear)

Make the armor and weapons look like proper "knights and dragons" type stuff, no Giant Final Fantasy sword six times the size of my toon. and make the freaking armor look like it should, plate armor should look like plate armor, not some spike covered glowing mess. I wanna look like a knight in shining armor!

MINIMAL Magic!!! have a caster class, but I'm sick and tired of casters dominating every MMO ever made!

NO CLASSES!!  Again, think Ultima Online, have a big list of  abilites and skills and let me CHOOSE what I want my toon to be! Of course youshould have a few guidelines, like if you choose magic  skills you cant wear plate armor and also swing a claymore around, but other than the obvious allow me the freedom to build up any skills I want up to a pre determined skill point cap.

NO LEVELS!!! your character improves their skills by ACTUALLY USING THAT SKILL!! imagine that!! if I'm a swordsman I will gain swordsmanship skill by going out and *gasp* hacking stuff up with my sword!! No more level grind! get people back to just playing again.

NO flying mounts...you get a horse, he/she just runs...on the ground...deal with it. NO MOUNTED COMBAT!!

Faction based PVP....every server is the same, if you wanna pvp, join a faction, if you dont wanna pvp don't join a faction. Dont force me to declare loyalty to a faction before I've even rolled a toon. There should be benifits for those in factions, but they shouldnt be soo great that you force everyone into a faction. Vendor discounts, special faction gear that shows you are a member, that kind of stuff. NOTE: There should be an odd number of factions, 3 would be ideal, no alliances between them (unless the players make one on the spot) and a waiting period between joining and leaving a faction. (Faction hopping should be an excersize in futility if one attempts it.

I guess I'm sayin that LESS IS MORE, and I would love a return to basics.

• blingdingzblingdingz Member Posts: 4

This guy nailed it for me: http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/?p=3924#5e8d2

Give us an open world that is not sanitized where our consequences have SOCIAL consequences

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

Originally posted by blingdingz

This guy nailed it for me: http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/?p=3924#5e8d2

Give us an open world that is not sanitized where our consequences have SOCIAL consequences

I liked that article. I think I would add that they should embrace emergent game play wherever it isn't game-breaking, not try to squash it. I think the most obvious examples would be dungeon camping (rather than the intended crawling) and kiting.  Give players a chance to use what you've given them in ways you don't expect, so long as it isn't flat-out exploitation. 

I was really happy to see the return of druid, necro, and wizard kiting in Serpent's Spine, even though I didn't play those classes at that time. Kiting is associated with soloing, but I was in a lot of kiting groups at that time, and also in Dragons of Norrath.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

EQnext needs to mix elements of the classic EQ as it was with new features and more modern way of playing.

But let me point one mistake SoE did in beta of eq2 they did not listen to the majority but to a certain elite guild who was their original testers in EQ1 and insultingly defected to WoW after launch.

Most of us pointed out for instance that  shared exp debt was a bad idea but it still went live because elitist liked it and since they only group with themselves it did not matter.

100 subs of noobs is still 100 times more then 1 sub from elite.

• KayfisKayfis Member Posts: 1

My first post!!

Everquest was my first mmo. I started playing it when I was 13 years old here is my take on why I Really Really enjoyed it. Also what I'd like to see after experienced other mmos. I read the thread posted here by wolf and hes got alot of great ideas i may overlap a bit.

-Factions in everquest really meant somthing. Remember your buddies asking you to sell some items cause he was grouping with you in crushbone as an iksar =D. Screw this 2 or 3 alignment BS! Lets go back to basics here

- Quicker days and nights and SIGHT! Coming out of freeport for the first time was great killing rats and orcs hehe. Then something happened! I couldnt see shit and was scared for my life I was attacked by 3 orcs and ran to the guards. Lesson learned don't go into the night w/0 lanterns or a dang wisp globe.

- Groups.. I love to solo yes but I love groups more! I want more open world and dungen groups. Instances are okay I dont mind them. In fact my vision of eq next is raiding from the low level  to the end game should have some instances. Competition between guilds is important. Some Instanced  some Open. Just and overall mix of the two would be amazing

- Class. Going back to less classes like in eq1 is key I think. WTF is a dirge =) Also I LOVE the memorizing spells deal. Truely keeps you on your toes and makes you think about what you might need. Maybe not as little as EQ. But not as much as in Eq2,wow,warhammer. Every spell you have should not be available at ALL times! and making pure casters have a lil more spells memmed at one time is even better. If your a caster you have alot of INT and WIS. You should be able to remember things more without booking it

- Travel. Yes slower travel please and no flying mounts. Flying should be rare in like a very special quest. Ground mounts okay in my book as long as its a reward for very hard working players that cant be soloed and must rely on the help of others. Also again NOT SO FAST. I liked how in the original mounts sometimes were not faster than SOW. Mounts to me are more of status. No fast as mofos in our dugeons. Seeing grps in eq2 fly through dungens like they were speedways really upset me and was not fun at all to watch.

- Death. As said before deaths need to be something to AVOID at all costs and punish people for being stupid. Maybe not corpses runs per say but like a rez sickness when you get back that maybe increses speed to get away but leaves you weakened mentally and physically for a fight. Maybe like a fleeing panic state. Only way to ease this is if  a pure healer in your group revives you and group members are STILL in combat. But still weakened to some degree.

- Grinding vs questing. Again as someone said. Quests are something special. Not a way to level up! It's for money, loot, lore, and status. Of course you could get a nice CHUNK of xp but when there are not as many quests its not a viable way to level.

- Loot. Leveling up decent loot should drop from mobs and help your cause out. Not as hard as eq1 was BUT not as easy as some other mmos. This brings me back to my other point Trade skills should make the same type of loot for your level assuming your capped out for your level.

- NO FREAKIN TWINKS. I dont like twinks at all BUT you can''t truely stop twinks because it would hinder other players but again players at thier level should not need REDICULOUS gear . The best loot should come from low level raiding and should have a Level cap so higher levels can't just run you through it and get you all the loot .

- AA OR SKILL TREES. Also to note about eq2 twinks is that the AA run were so stupid! leveling up and getting spells for your class is your reward for leveling just like in the original and aa can come later with no cap and can be turned on and be earned during grinding mobs and such. OF course level reqs for the higher tier abilities

- more to come later im tired lol

All and all i'd just love an open EQ world like the original just modern graphics and gameplay. I will miss that snakes can no longer kick. But hey let's move on. I hope this game is great i'm ready to move away from wow and back into EQs arms.

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

@Kayfis, some of the things you mention did change in EQ1 over time.

Re: twinking, for instance, most gear has recommended or required level these days, for instance. With recommended level gear, the stats are scaled to your level until you reach the recommended level, so if it will have 10 STR on it when you're level 50, it might have 1 STR for you when you're level 5. Required level gear can't even be equipped until the level req is met. I thought that was a pretty good compromise.  I didn't like it when it was first introduced, but now I think the recommended level gear is a good compromise. 

I've changed my mind about AAs over time-- I really prefer the EQ1 method of AAs these days. It's a nice reward for the time you put in to have all the AAs available, particularly when you're at level cap and there are months to go before the next expansion.

I don't favor skill trees. Part of what made EQ1 grouping work is that you knew that most spell-using classes would have certain spells at certain levels, and you didn't have to worry about your cleric being spec'ed for damage instead of healing. Sometimes players would be missing some spells, but you could pretty much count on a cleric being a cleric, an enchanter being an enchanter, and so on.

I mean, I see the point of skill trees, but I think sometimes they just get put into games these days because people think, "Oh, and every class has to have a skill tree, because all the other games work like that." A lot of the time, many of the skills are useless and you're forced to get them in order to get to the useful skill. It's a system that seems to be really hard to get right (or that a lot of games get wrong), so I've come to the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with "your class = your role" and you do your customization in choices about what spells you load, what gear you wear, and the order in which you get your AAs.

(Yeah, I am an idiot. Just clearing that up before anyone feels the need to tell me so.)

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Id like to see classic eq1 gameplay in a new world.  Dont recycle the old world like they did with eq2.  Then of course revamped UI and updated graphics.  Dont go overboard on the graphics.  Make it so people with 2 year old computers can have fun too. 

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Alot of posts here asking for stuff that would be financially suicidal for SOE.  The best they can do is offer a hardcore path and a casual path.  Let the gluttons for punishment take the exp loss and hell level route and everybody else can play normally. 

I like a challenge, especially where a group has to work together cohesively to overcome tough fights, but I want good rewards relative to that challenge.  2% exp per hour and a +5 to INT robe does not fucking cut it if the challenge level is that high.

WoW almost got it right with heroic dungeons but then the challenge went away as you caught up in gear.  What I really want is a game with challenging group tactics that doesn't force you to wait 2 or more hours just to form said group.

Put a good group finding interface in(just copy WoW with that, the LFD feature is the biggest leap in MMO gameplay since 1999) and adjust the challenge and loot accordingly for FIVE I repeat FIVE player encounters and the game will do good business.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

A global cooldown.

Or at the very least, do not have 20 skills that do the same thing like they have in EQ2 currently. It's really the combat that bothers me the most in that game. Everything else is glorious.

Edit: Chieftan... You have necroed a post and I have fallen into your trap! Why God?!

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Member Posts: 145

I'd say a world that is designed "imperfect", a bit rough around the edges.  Modern mmorpgs have everything lined up, well organized quests ect. but original EQ had things less so I'd say.  It'd be nice to have to ask around or explore to find the area a bit, and once you get the feel of an area have it make sense, but not right off the bat. I enjoy quests/races/classes that have a bit of "grit" to it as well, gives things character.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Just one thing - please, PLEASE sort out your engine and make it work. EQ2 is still unplayable because of this and all the content it has won't do it any good when you can't run the game properly.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

Someone above wrote: Make it like Vanguard but without the early bugs, like EQ1.

I have to giggle a bit as I read that, and wonder wether people here actually played EQ, in 1999 - because I asure you there were bugs. Some so that if they released a game with similar bugs in todays hummingbird environment you'd be burning the game and crying doom from the top of your lungs.

/consent anyone LOL

Ah good old days. I'd take EQ next with the bugs from EQ1 any day of the week, if it didnt come packed with todays community killing features. Like the dungeon tool from wow. It killed whatever remained of the server community feeling, and there wasnt much to begin with.

Out with instances, in with groups making an effort together, not just to kill stuff, but to get along, and learn just a tad of social awareness. Then we can perhaps see communities like we had in the past. Without accepting the first as a necessity for the second, you'll never have those communities back.

• HeartsdesireHeartsdesire Member Posts: 1

I loved everquest it was the game that started it all for me , a game that I have not had that same itch to play 24/7 as I did back when I played..... I now play everquest 2 and enjoy it but its not got the same feel as I had with EQ.... and yup I am a girl gamer who may of not gotten the best loot on the game but I met and married my husband on Everquest and we now have 4 beautiful little boys....

What I would love to see.... and yes you have me drooling at the thought of it.....

1. A wide array of ways to customize your characters... allot like eq 2 but more hair styles, more body models, and crisp smoother looking character models that can age well that look beautiful and stunning to look at.

2. Less is often more ... I prefered the classes on Everquest 1 than with 2 though the deverse range was good there was just to many.

3. Get rid of the many copy fads of wow and other games ! Everquest in its original form was not dumbed down and you had according to your book enough subs to pay for the game a lifetime, in less than a few months.... look back on that and get back that passion you had back then for a game that is somthing to amaze instead of a money machine....

4. The old law of Everquest  with more storyline or quests associated with it.......  Get your players in deep with in depth law and make us feel part of the world.

5. Armor that matchs the time line and that is not a carbon copy of one armor style.... On everquest there was allot of fantastic armor yet on Everquest 2 you were stuck in one style that just lacked so much.... my character looked back in time instead of in the future of everquest like heck my Half-elf had a G- string on EQ yet on EQ2 the armor is sorta bland..... ( yes I am a girl player and I don't mind looking a lil sexy from time to time!)

6. Houses and furniture I love this in EQ2 its one of the things that keeps me going.... I love decorating my house and showing it off its somthing I simply love.... *Please oh please put this in*

7. Group and SOLO play, there are players that like to group/raid and those that prefer to solo at times.... put in enough content to keep all players happy not just one style.

8. Tradeskills... love the EQ2 version its so well done and diverse would love to see it used again.

9. Glowies/collectbles again I love this mini side thing its a little fun on the side !

10. More Updating and fixing than putting out expansions.... ie. Keeping the game stable and adding free content and a expansion once a year instead of 2 or 3 .....

11. Listen to your players !!!! yes you cannot please every one but I often wonder if you had listened back when EQ 2 was new would there be a much larger player base than there is now.....

12. Kiting... I know this was not intended in EQ and was a exploit or cheat as such according your book but damn it felt good being a druid quad kiting....

would add so much more but its midnight !!!!

One last thing..... One thing I miss from games today is how on Everquest I really felt that excitement or fear ! and when I fell like off kelethin my tummy would hit the roof and not come down again.... thats how deep it was for me ! I want that feeling back .... like when going into Guk and you had dead and live side... the panic I would feel as a halfling druid having to go in the dead side knowing that the buff I had waited to get buffed on could drop in any second and yup "Train to Zone".... ahhh the days you had to work to get places.....

Tisk Tisk Druid Halfling , and Tamica Shadowmist Druid Half-Elf of the Erollsi Marr server.... Had a blast but sad it did not last ....

• Stewe79Stewe79 Member UncommonPosts: 40

Agreed to Heartdiser. + i continue with my own

13. Stay PvE as soon PvP gets involved  everyone starts to  shout for Class balance and Nerfs. That only lead to classes losing there uniqness

And there are plenty of PvP games out there.

But not a single PvE Oriented game thats relative new. 

No Signature :)

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Originally posted by Stewe79

13. Stay PvE as soon PvP gets involved  everyone starts to  shout for Class balance and Nerfs. That only lead to classes losing there uniqness

I have to disagree with that.  If you think people aren't shouting for nerfs or comparing their class abilities/spells with other classes, then you haven't been following forum posts closely.  EQ is as PvE as it can get right now, and there's plenty of forum posts where one class is comparing itself with another.  Plenty of calls to either buff their class spells or nerf someone else's.  This was both in beta and live.

So just because you have a PvE game, doesn't make you immune to people calling for class balance & nerfs.  That's a very big misconception.  I personally enjoy both PvE and PvP games, and have seen no matter what type of games you have, people will always complain and cry class balance.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• Stewe79Stewe79 Member UncommonPosts: 40

Originally posted by Mardy

Originally posted by Stewe79

I have to disagree with that.  If you think people aren't shouting for nerfs or comparing their class abilities/spells with other classes, then you haven't been following forum posts closely.  EQ is as PvE as it can get right now, and there's plenty of forum posts where one class is comparing itself with another.  Plenty of calls to either buff their class spells or nerf someone else's.  This was both in beta and live.

So just because you have a PvE game, doesn't make you immune to people calling for class balance & nerfs.  That's a very big misconception.  I personally enjoy both PvE and PvP games, and have seen no matter what type of games you have, people will always complain and cry class balance.

I Agree to some point with you. Especially EQ as PvE Oriented Game. Ive been playing it since  12th August 1999 and still playing. (That's what im asking for a new PvE game)

But Class Balance & Nerfs have a higher part on a PvP game then a PvE. So the shouts of Nerfs and Class balancewill be far less on a PvE game. And People always going to compare the other classes with themself choosen classes  Especially on a PvP Oriented game.

And im really glad some people like you disagree with me since if not there whouldn't be any discussions :)

No Signature :)

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

'groupable' classes. I always think compared to WoW Everquest was just designed better for grouping. I mean in WoW all the abilities are given to almost every class to make them proficient in soloing, that removes a unique role in a group.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

1. Combat that promotes socialization. What I mean by this is, in EQ1 you had time during fights to talk to group members if you wanted. In newer games, you are too busy spamming the next "random damage attack 0002" to type to fellow group mates.

2. Camps. Camping for XP, while some enjoy dungeon crawling more, also promotes socialization. Racing through a dungeon to get to the end, then immediately leaving when end boss is dead just doesn't work in that aspect.

3. Named Mobs. Gives us something to work towards, a bonus to our XP, and another bonus to grouping.

4. Open world dungeons. Less instancing. Some instancing is ok, but have mostly open world dungeons. That includes raids. Progression must be horizontal rather than vertical so that there are multiple targets for guilds to go after, and not one single target drops the best loot (thus everyone fighting over him).

5. Death Penalty. It just needs to be there, death is pointless without it.

6. Classes that work together, rather than having a group of 6 Tanking DPSing healers.

7. Raid Progression. Bring back Flagging / Keying. Bring back things like Vex Thal keys. It really promoted guild comraderie when we needed to help each other on non-raid times to get keys. Have keys / flags half single group events, half raid events. etc.

8. Epic Armor / Weapon quests. Don't really need to say more about this.

9. Rustic Graphics. I don't want fairy dust around, EQ1 graphics were gritty and I loved it. Updated graphics yes, cartoon style no.

10. Advancement past maximum level. AAs in EQ1 were done flawlessly. Nothing I'd change there. EQ2 AAs sucked. And WoW's achievement system was pointless.

• Limbless_k9Limbless_k9 Member Posts: 26

I just want old EQ back really, but that won't happen. I wish they could make a game as good as it but i dont think they can. I heard Vanguard was amazing but i never tried it out myself and i can't seem to download the trial. On top of that i hear there is just about no support for it and there is a pretty low population. Dissapointing. Anyways, here is what i want.

1. Open world. Let's make exploration fun and important! I miss the old zones and everything don't get me wrong, but it would be nice if we could have Norrath be seamless. Also, please don't put mountains in every zone just to divide them like in WoW. It looks massively cheesy. (They aren't really even mountains anyway.)

2. Old school travel system. Let's bring back boats, mounts and ports. No more easy mode. The game needs to be about exploring, not just warping somewhere. And make ports and mounts fairly expensive that way they aren't used extensively.

3. A good combat system. EQ2's combat is pretty similar to any MMO *cough cough WoW*. Now WoW makes that system work but EQ2's UI, in my opinion, is complete crap. It is so chunky and unfluid. If you are gonna go with the same type of combat system, make it work like old EQ's or WoW's. That being said, i would enjoy a new type of combat. Something to break the mold.

4. Crafting has to matter. Crafting has to REALLY matter and be an in depth system all on its own. Make crafted items great for the player and a good investment for them. When EQ2 first came out, they had crafting pretty well nailed quite honestly. I remember back in the old days where the heals imbued into armor would actually save your life. Now after the stat boost, all the gear is messed up though. This leads me into my next want.

5. Items have to be de-emphasized. I was visiting my cousin the other day and our step uncle said he grinded a dungeon 14 times in WoW to get one little necklace. FOURTEEN TIMES! FOR A NECKLACE! Now when you look back on old classic EQ, gear was important but you could get by with just decent gear. Now if you don't have the uberest of loot, you ain't going raiding or on important runs. Items and gear are to heavily emphasized now adays. Let's revert it. No uber uber loot please. Also i do understand that nameds in EQ1 were camped much longer than a dungeon run but you were doing it because you were having fun and wanted the gear. Not cause you would be obsolete without it.

6. This one ties into number one. Open world dungeons, no instances, at all. Zones would be ok for a dungeon but do not make it instanced with bosses to run over and over again endlessly. Make it like the old EQ1 zones. Nameds can spawn and everyone in the zone has to co-exist.

7. Make a social game. No dungeon finder or anything like that. Make it so you have to find other willing players to group with and make it so the people can have fun with these other people.

8. Involving quests and NO quest log. At least, a very simple quest log. Don't make things pop up on the map so you can just trot over to it. And do not tell the player exactly where they need to go and exactly what they need to kill. Make the player figure out what they have to do. Also, don't make stupid go kill and gather quests. Unless of course they are like the bone chip turn in quests and such. Those quests were awesome for faction, gave you a little much needed coin and exp. (And don't overflow the game with quests like these. Make them few and far between.) One of my most fond memories was doing my necro's epic quest or my pally's ghoulbane quest. They were involving and even though you had to go gather things to make it or turn it in, it was an adventure all in itself because you had to figure out what to kill and where it was. It was truly a quest.

9. Ties into eight. But no quest bubbles, i enjoyed hailing people and seeing their words in brackets giving me a clue as to what to say. It made the game more immersive.

10. This is gonna be important. Involving story lines if there is a guided storyline at all. I've seen some people arguing over whether or not to include movies. My two cents is, no movies. Find a more inventive way to tell the story of the game. The reason i say this is because, in my opinion, it takes you out of the game. It is much more immersive to see something happen infront of you with your character. So what if you have to read text, heck they could even add voices to make it even better.

11. This is just a personal suggestion that won't necessarly further the game in anyway other than story telling and role playing. Create news papers when something big is happening in the world. Put the town criers in again but make them have news articles about Norrath as well as their own little community. And make their communities feel a live. Oh grandmaster glox isn't feeling well this weekend. Oh no grandmaster glox died the next week. (PS. Love you Glox.)

12. Also i saw someone mention taverns with cool mini games or things of the sort. I totally agree. Put inns and taverns in with fun things to do so players can enjoy themselves even more and immerse themselves further.

13. FACTIONS! BRING THEM BACK! No more two cities thing with various bad factions/slightly good factions. Make an involving faction system just like EQ1's. It had meaning to start out as an Iksar or Dark Elf because you really weren't liked by many people. Also just a sidenote, make illusions matter again. Sneaking into cabilis with an iksar illusion on was awesome. And make faction raisable and everything, going into cabilis as a dark elf because i raised my faction was very nice.

14. Also death penalties, good death penalties with bind points again.

15. BRING BACK /GEMS! Do it. Do it.

16. Man i keep thinking of things. Bring back the way spells used to work. You could buy every spell before you were that level, but you have to wait to use it. No more trainers or auto spells. Also make spells craftable and just like in EQ1, make some spells only craftable.

17. Make great PVP. Make it work without having to nerf and make it fun. Maybe make it so you can loot one item off of someone along with their money, make it exciting.

Thank you for your time. I'm sure there are other things i would like but i think this is enough, for now at least.

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Member Posts: 145

You know what..I wouldn't be too surprised if they included 3D into EQ Next.  

EQ1 was one of the first 3D mmorpgs.

EQ2 had some pretty high system reqs right off the bat so the graphics wouldn't become obsolete.

Since Sony is pushing 3D pretty hard on the PS3 and with it's TVs (because it thinks "3D is the future")  making EQ Next with that in mind could be a possiblity. EQ Next could be the first 3D mmorpg. 

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

1. Normalize the movement, combat, and spell animations. Cut the speed in half. Right now everything looks like it's on fast forward and it's by far my biggest turn off of the game.

2. Seamless world please. Zones are a shortcut that breaks immersion for myself and many others. I shouldn't see loading screens/transitions unless I'm changing continents.

3. Your game has art direction, but not art style. I love the visual look the game strives for, but it's butchered by the photorealistic look they aim for. Give us slightly stylized graphics with the current world design.

4. Customizatoin is paramount. Give use a better character creation process (something closer to Aion), and give us a MUCH larger selection of clothing and armor styles. The number of clothing and and armor designs (recolors don't count, no) currently in EQ2 is absurd.

5. My fae has wings. She should be able to actually fly, not just float.

On that note though, here's also the stuff I hope they KEEP.

1. The number of races and classes is simply fantastic. More games should follow this example, if they're using a class-based system.

2. Questing is well done.

3. The number of dungeons is fantastic.

4. The crafting system is superb.

5. Collectoins are too. I love these.

<3

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by ghaleonx128

You know what..I wouldn't be too surprised if they included 3D into EQ Next.  

EQ1 was one of the first 3D mmorpgs.

EQ2 had some pretty high system reqs right off the bat so the graphics wouldn't become obsolete.

Since Sony is pushing 3D pretty hard on the PS3 and with it's TVs (because it thinks "3D is the future")  making EQ Next with that in mind could be a possiblity. EQ Next could be the first 3D mmorpg. 

Until they actually release a good 3D screen I can use without stupid glasses on I couldn't care less.

EQ Next should be a mix between old and new things, with the stuff we misses from classic MMOs together with stuff we never seen before. If SOE pulls that off they can actually become one of the leading companies again, something they havn't been for the last 7-8 years.

• rmasonrmason Member Posts: 140

There are so many possibilities with what this game COULD be. I think things that it will need to do at release to be a success are:

1)  Have a ton of finished classes to play:

This is what made EQ so popular (aside from being the one of the first mmo's). There were so many different classes that you could choose from. While I would love to see a sandbox where you could choose your own skills I highly doubt that would happen so I would settle with the high amount of classes. The bard and enchanter from EQ are still some of my favorite and most unique classes I have ever played. AA ability to enthrall a giant in the one dungeon to kill everything for you, spectacular.

2) Have a housing:

EQ just got it, EQ2 had it. Housing is a huge part for people who like the type of game that EQ was, a very good role playing pve game. People like to be immersed in a game, nothing is more immersive than riding up to your house that you created. It should be a unique system like UO has to be able to create anything you want, tile by tile.

3) Have a ton of content:

As sad as it is to say, every P2P game that gets released right now is in direct competition with WoW. It has been out for 5 years, has had soon to be 3 expansions, and a ton of polish. Most people will not leave a game they have played for so long for another one. If EQ Next wants to compete it will have to have a ton of content to keep everyone interested and will have to keep having updated content between expansions.

4) Some form of PVP:

LoTRO dropped the ball hardcore with this one. I know its a great game for RP people who love the lore, but a lot of people like to get some face melting in every now and again. If EQ Next adapted a type of PvP be it arena type like WoW or RvR type areas like DAOC it would be a huge booster for  alot of people.

5) Have numerous forms of transport:

I dont know about you guys but I love me a good mount. From the Wyrvens in Vanguard to the Fire Steeds in UO. From boats to flying beats it should have it all. Maybe not all at release but the more the better.

Finally it needs to actually be a finished product. I think MMO developers are finally starting to realize we do not like pieces of shit labeled roses being sold to us. I for one have not played a P2P games in over 2 years because they are all junk. At the moment I am playing Uncharted Waters Online, a F2P game, and it has more content than most AAA p2p games that are out right now.

APB shut down super quick and sold for 1.5ish mil after spending around 100mil in development costs, final fantasy has given 90 days free play now to their playeers and has suffered a lot of problems with their stock because of how big a flop it is considered, tabula rasa, etc, etc, etc.  We are sick of paying to play an alpha or beta game. Dont release a game until it is completely finished.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Classes balanced on how useful they are to a group as opposed to how powerful they are against each other.  IE a tank can fill their role as a tank.  Healers can heal.  DPS can DPS.  Tanks wouldnt have their DPS knocked down to 0 because they have higher survivability so that they are "equal" to a DPS when it comes to soloing.  How well each specific class solos is an afterthought allowing some classes to be able to do so well and others not so well the way everquest 1 was albeit not necessarily having the same classes do it the same way.

A large world that is not diminished by fast travel.  Fast travel is nice and convenient and all -- but it kills the feeling of a world.

And on that point -- a WORLD not a GAME.  They are different concepts.

I would like to see "The Vision" back.  It has been trampled, scorched, and faded, but it can still be redeemed.

NO elite mobs vs solo mobs.  Monsters are monsters and if you are soloing you are not expected to fight at your level.  None of this 1/3rd harder with 6 times as many hit points that are popular for such monsters today.  I like the old everquest model where if you are soloing (perfectly fine thing to do) you are fighting level 46 monsters at level 58.  If you are grouping you are fighting level 58 monsters. 

Most items tradable.  Bind on Acquire limited to keyed zone content only.  Bind on Equip limited to raid items only.  Everything else tradable. 

• ArawniteArawnite Member Posts: 163

Design it with PVP in mind from the start.