Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Starcraft (?) (!)

2»

Comments

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

I think i just threw up a little bit, if Blizzard's next MMO going to be more casual then WoW....................................... yea i threw up.

War 40k > SC anyways, hopefully THQ doesn't screw up with the 40k mmo, but they more then likely will. I like to see a Diablo MMORPG, with all out action combat, but that will never happen.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

World of Starcraft is what will happen when WoW is about to die out.  Which is to say, yes it will happen, just not soon.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• DestructhorDestructhor Member Posts: 88

Never been much of  Sci-Fi fan honestly, personally I hope they don't but that’s justme.  Though if they ever did I'm sure it would be hugely successful.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

The OP was as misinformed as the article, which never followed up on its speculating. It was never in the works and probably won't be for a long time, as Blizzards next MMO is based on a brand new IP.

Guess what Blizzard announced at Seoul, South Korea, on May 19th, 2007? (Where the article claims they will announce the MMO)

Starcraft 2.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183

Here is the real question though...

Would you want to be a Hero, or a 'Grunt'?

I would say, in my opinion, that an SC MMO built like WoW would be doomed to fail miserably. Unless you only play as Terran or Protoss, which would be absolute fail. I'd love to play Zerg. But Zerg wouldn't quest. They'd be PVP only. It all wouldn't work unless the game was purely focused on PVP RPG style.

But I honestly think that being the 'grunt' would be the only way to go. The game would need to be made along the lines of Planetside. I mean, it has the setting, it has the three faction pre-requisite. It has plenty of unit types.

Terran: All based on guys/girls in suits or in vehicles. Just change your suit or hop in to a vehicle.

Protoss: Be a basic Zealot or go through all sorts of stuff to be able to be a vehicle.

Zerg: Evolve as you go in to whatever.

The elements are there. It could be done. Heck, perhaps even add a 'building' mechanic so people can move the war in any direction they desire.

Yes, I know I'm dreaming T-T

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

• DimensionalDimensional Member Posts: 79

It will obviously be very succesful, the game will sell because of the brand alone.. let alone the actual quality of the game itself. But sci-fi mmo's really do not translate into a mmo as high fantasy mmo's tend to do, it will be a refreshing change nonetheless.

• obscuredobscured Member UncommonPosts: 62

Originally posted by Benthon

The OP was as misinformed as the article, which never followed up on its speculating. It was never in the works and probably won't be for a long time, as Blizzards next MMO is based on a brand new IP.

Guess what Blizzard announced at Seoul, South Korea, on May 19th, 2007? (Where the article claims they will announce the MMO)

Starcraft 2.

Read more carefuly next time you decide to get arrogant. I'd suggest you read the whole thing before you random flame.

I said it was a HOAX, or someone was too misinformed and spread false rumors. The point of this thread is to see oppinions and talk about a Starcraft MMORPG, not to discuss something that's supposed to be on the works from Blizzard.

kthxbye

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183

To discuss something we think SHOULD happen not something that necessarily WILL happen.

Many have been hoping for years that it would happen. Probably won't.

We can dream though.

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704

They would be dumb not to.  The question is when.  My feeling is its WAY WAY out there....like 15+ year business plan.

Looking at Blizzard's past....they surely take their time developing their games (which has always paid off BIG TIME) and they are VERY careful of canibalization of their marketshare.  I.E., they are careful to release a sequal or similar type game too close to eachother because they dont want to hurt the success of the other game.  It would have been silly to release a Starcraft II shortly after Warcraft III because they appeal to the same audience.

So with that said, its interesting that Blizzard decided to go outside of their current IP box to base their new MMORPG on.  Between Warcraft, Starcraft & Diablo, they could have laid out sequals and MMO versions of their existing IP for the next 20 years.  Since they are going outside the box on this new MMO, I don't see them releasing another MMORPG for atleast another 6-8 years after the new title is released (provided the new MMO has the same success WOW has).  UNLESS.....they develop a completely different kind of MMORPG with this new title (Sandbox ?).  If they do something sustantially different with their new MMO (which wouldn't hurt the subscription numbers of WOW's casual playerbase too much), I can see them releaseing another popular themepark MMORPG (possibly based on SC) shortly thereafter.

Originally posted by RajCaj

They would be dumb not to.  The question is when.  My feeling is its WAY WAY out there....like 15+ year business plan.

Looking at Blizzard's past....they surely take their time developing their games (which has always paid off BIG TIME) and they are VERY careful of canibalization of their marketshare.  I.E., they are careful to release a sequal or similar type game too close to eachother because they dont want to hurt the success of the other game.  It would have been silly to release a Starcraft II shortly after Warcraft III because they appeal to the same audience.

So with that said, its interesting that Blizzard decided to go outside of their current IP box to base their new MMORPG on.  Between Warcraft, Starcraft & Diablo, they could have laid out sequals and MMO versions of their existing IP for the next 20 years.  Since they are going outside the box on this new MMO, I don't see them releasing another MMORPG for atleast another 6-8 years after the new title is released (provided the new MMO has the same success WOW has).  UNLESS.....they develop a completely different kind of MMORPG with this new title (Sandbox ?).  If they do something sustantially different with their new MMO (which wouldn't hurt the subscription numbers of WOW's casual playerbase too much), I can see them releaseing another popular themepark MMORPG (possibly based on SC) shortly thereafter.

yeap.. thats my guess too. They would be insane leaving such a well-known and acomplished title unexploited.

It will take few years deff, but they ARE going to make a starcraft MMO. maybe not a MMORPG , but deff a MMO. Could be a starfract: ghost-like game based on co-op campaign and stuff

• -=Skyy=--=Skyy=- Member Posts: 20

I wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility but Blizzard has explicitely stated that their next MMO game will be an entirely new IP, not one based on an existing franchise. However that being said, when it comes to Blizzard who knows. many of us thought that Ghost would be awesome, they thought not and canned it halfway through development. real shame. Though i do expect that when the tech gets better they'll revisit that title and finish it.

When in doubt, get more explosives.

• ZhqrxtZhqrxt Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by -=Skyy=-

I wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility but Blizzard has explicitely stated that their next MMO game will be an entirely new IP, not one based on an existing franchise. However that being said, when it comes to Blizzard who knows. many of us thought that Ghost would be awesome, they thought not and canned it halfway through development. real shame. Though i do expect that when the tech gets better they'll revisit that title and finish it.

Really curios about that IP. Cmon - ~200 ppl working on that title and not one have slipped a word to a cousin or someone spotted a piece of concept art ? Tight firm, Blizzard. 

A Starcraft MMO could be absolute fantastic - think of the possibillitys. Terrans starting out with a artificial hand and ending up as a Thor? Epic battlegrounds with artillery, ppl with jetpacks, stealth, vehicles etc etc. Planetary travelling. Only tech puts a limit to that franchise imo. 

• KorPhaeronKorPhaeron Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by ChaosInc

The one in the works is something completely new and will resemble something closer to Global Agenda or WH40k

OMG. Im truly surprised.

a Blizzard product eerily similar to one of the WARHAMMER franchise?

that just cant be, can it? totally amazing, Im speechless, the novelty in this makes my head spin

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

If Blizzard deciced to make World of Starcraft and make it in the image of World of Warcraft it would be game over for almost every other mmo out there now. This would also cause mass panic with any other game developers. This only my opion but i bet i come close to what might happen.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • -=Skyy=--=Skyy=- Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by KorPhaeron

Originally posted by ChaosInc

The one in the works is something completely new and will resemble something closer to Global Agenda or WH40k

OMG. Im truly surprised.

a Blizzard product eerily similar to one of the WARHAMMER franchise?

that just cant be, can it? totally amazing, Im speechless, the novelty in this makes my head spin

You do realize the irony that the next Warhammer MMORPG is fashioned after WoW right?

Hell thier lead dev stated flat out if you like WoW you'll feel at home in thier game. Here we sit, the circle closed, back to the beginning once again...

When in doubt, get more explosives.

• SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

Honestly, as much as I'm craving something without elves and magic, I don't think I could do it. I could go on and into a deep involving post but simply put, I feel that it would do nothing but water down the MMO market with more crap and just help to further stagnate the industry.

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

I'm bumping it up cause of this:

Blizzard Officially Responds to World of StarCraft

^^

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Locking necroed thread.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.