Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else intreagued by this game but wary about it because of what happened with Age of Conan

1235»

Comments

• viditorumviditorum Member Posts: 60

From what little is out there I like what I see and due to the title and the general lack of information out there is refreshing . At time I rather miss the " Hey whats this game " moments when a new game would show up on the store shelves. Alas I am hopeful.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by viditorum

From what little is out there I like what I see and due to the title and the general lack of information out there is refreshing . At time I rather miss the " Hey whats this game " moments when a new game would show up on the store shelves. Alas I am hopeful.

I think with Ragnar Tornquist's fondness for secrets, mysteries and puzzles as he has shown in his former games The Longest journey and Dreamfall and in the ARG (Alternate Reality Game, see here) for The Secret World that he has played via forums and sites, that we won't have to worry about those revelatory moments in The Secret World.

In fact, he mentioned that there will be mysteries and secrets in game that people have to dig deeper, even outside the game, to find out what is going on.

He also mentioned that ARG events as have already happened will continue even when the game has gone live.

The ARG's perfectly captured the atmosphere of the secretive, conspiracy driven setting that The Secret World contains.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• elistrangeelistrange Member Posts: 157

I will most likely be getting this game when it comes out. I love games where you have mystery, and have to piece together things. I really hope that they emphasize the detective, and investigation aspect of the game. 

Currently Play: ?
    Occasionally Play: Champions, Pirates of the Burning Sea, WOW, EVE ONLINE

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Thats what i call evolution.

From an interview is saw:

The team creating The Secret World is different than age of conan.

Although they are willing to learn from the mistkes age of conan done.

So as long as they are willing to learn and correct things up im gonna give them a secont chance.

Furthermore i like mystery games and im bored of the same mmos again and again.

I want something different and i think secret world will feed my expecations.

But in the end noone can says until he tastes

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114

I wouldnt believe anything funcom claims to have implemented or buy into any of their marketing hype, don't read about the game or listen to any of the funcom BS. Play it with no expectations and you might be supprised, although imo I don't think they can pull it off, AoC still hasn't got some of things that were advitised on the box (though this could be caused by them rushing into developement of TSW)

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

It would not surprise me if Funcom had a FFxiv launch. " Let the buyer beware " with these folks.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • mudd4evermudd4ever Member Posts: 158

Count me among those intrigued by this game.

As far as AoC goes, I enjoyed my time in Tortage, got into a decent guild, and had a blast.  This was, however, after the initial 'fiasco' of a launch that I read about.  I joined late, once the dust settled from all that.

Even if The Secret World has a rough start, though one would hope similar mistakes aren't repeated, I'm of the opinion Funcom has the right talent aboard to turn it around.  Besides, Dreamfall: TLJ = really awesome game.  As I believe this is being worked on by some of the same writer(s), I'd be excited for the deep engaging storyline and general awesomeness that would be brought to this game.

pie.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by mudd4ever

As far as AoC goes, I enjoyed my time in Tortage, got into a decent guild, and had a blast.  This was, however, after the initial 'fiasco' of a launch that I read about.  I joined late, once the dust settled from all that.

Even if The Secret World has a rough start, though one would hope similar mistakes aren't repeated, I'm of the opinion Funcom has the right talent aboard to turn it around.  Besides, Dreamfall: TLJ = really awesome game.  As I believe this is being worked on by some of the same writer(s), I'd be excited for the deep engaging storyline and general awesomeness that would be brought to this game.

Same here. I also had a blast in AoC so I never felt that disappointment that some people felt with AoC.

And yes, the guy that was behind TLJ and Dreamfall, Tornquist, is game director for TSW.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

AoC at launch was horrible. It was so horrible that since then I've been wary of all new MMOs that looked promising to me. I think it's healthy to be a bit skeptical and not blindly believe all the hype surrounding a game.

That said, from what I've read, Funcom righted the AoC ship and is doing better now. Good for them.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Funcom has launched two MMORPGs so far. 

The first, Anarchy Online, was regarded for the better part of a decade as the worst MMORPG launch of all time. 

Then they launched Age of Conan, and that almost stole the crown of bad launch from AO. 

So yeah, not touching this one for at least a year after launch. 

• dzikundzikun Member Posts: 150

Originally posted by Nizur

AoC at launch was horrible. It was so horrible that since then I've been wary of all new MMOs that looked promising to me. I think it's healthy to be a bit skeptical and not blindly believe all the hype surrounding a game.

That said, from what I've read, Funcom righted the AoC ship and is doing better now. Good for them.

Same with me.

As it goes for TSW... I liked the trailer movies... I don't like what i read and see about the gameplay and graphics.  Kinda lost interest by now.

I've been uplinked and downloaded, I've been inputted and outsourced. I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading.

I'm a high-tech low-life. A cutting-edge, state-of-the-art, bi-coastal multi-tasker, and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond.

I'm new-wave, but I'm old-school; and my inner child is outward-bound.

I'm a hot-wired, heat-seeking, warm-hearted cool customer; voice-activated and bio-degradable.

RIP George Carlin.

• deltiordeltior Member UncommonPosts: 50

Yes Funcom has trouble during the start of each of their 2 MMORPG. But anyway, AO and AoC are probably among the best MMORPG I have ever played.

So I will play "The Secret World" because I am pretty sure that they will provide something great and with Ragner Tornquist as director, the game has the potential to have one of the best content ever created (regarding the storyline and such)

• jetfacejetface Member Posts: 18

What do you mean what happened to Age of Conan?  According to Funcom, working as intended.  Craig can do no wrong!

Yeah, I'd be wary.  Funcom has a long way to go before they become a professional company.  They put together a great game and then failed miserably thereafter.  I'm sure Secret World sounds awesome and, as a single player game, will be awesome.  They have the technical skill to make great games.  What they lack is any kind of direction and understanding of what it takes to maintain a game.  With funcom at the helm, SW will rapidly disintegrate into a world full of exploiters and bugs.  I've heard AO was known for this, cheaters still run rampant in AOC, and SW will be no different.  Funcom cares about one thing, money.  They will say whatever it takes to get you to buy the game and keep you there.

Examples:

DirectX 10, still not a fully functional feature of AOC, promised at launch (almost 3 years ago).

Massive pvp sieges, actually they are 24 v 24 and really unbearable due to lag (despite the patch that improved siege performance!)

Objective-based pvp, instead they gave us Bori, which is a zone where you mine rocks for pvp xp.  Seriously, that is funcom's idea of pvp.  Crafting.

Classes in AOC are balanced for group play.  Despite that fact that a team of the most powerful classes easily destroys a team of distributed classes.

Hackers and exploiters are dealt with immediately.  If by immediately you mean 3-6 months.

And many, many more.

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

Well all I can say is I hope they have REALLY Good lawyers because if the game goes south So does that famous SciFi/Fantasy writer guy (Name eludes me atm)

And I know he'd rake the ENTIRE company over the hot coals should they ruin his rep.

• mudd4evermudd4ever Member Posts: 158

Originally posted by cyphers

Same here. I also had a blast in AoC so I never felt that disappointment that some people felt with AoC.

And yes, the guy that was behind TLJ and Dreamfall, Tornquist, is game director for TSW.

Yes, that is who I was trying to think of.  Thank you for clarifying, and that he's the game director for TSW.

I wish I had tried the original "The Longest Journey".  I probably should just say "Dreamfall" for the game I did buy once.  The game box said Dreamfall The Longest Journey, so I tend to think of it by that full name.

Anyway, TSW is a game I'm definitely keeping an eye on, among others.  Let's see how it shapes up.

pie.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I betaed and played Anarchy Online and the same for Age of Conan. I will also do the same for this game because I believe Funcom has great ideas and they had something wonderful in Anarchy Online and I am willing to support them.

Chamber of Chains
  • GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by cyphers

Yes, that is who I was trying to think of.  Thank you for clarifying, and that he's the game director for TSW.

I wish I had tried the original "The Longest Journey".  I probably should just say "Dreamfall" for the game I did buy once.  The game box said Dreamfall The Longest Journey, so I tend to think of it by that full name.

Anyway, TSW is a game I'm definitely keeping an eye on, among others.  Let's see how it shapes up.

Yeah Tournquist is the major factor in TSW they can't make a character Sneeze in game w/o him okaying it.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

I think it will be somewhat different. Funcom went into few rounds of layoffs, then opened a new studio in Montréal. We'll see if it has any impact on the quality of their releases.

For me I'll give it a try; me living in Montréal has some to do in it. image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Funcom is just terrible at delivering playable product at launch; based on what they have proved time and again, any bugs or issues present in Beta will still be there in spades 3 months+ after launch. On top of that, Funcom has never demonstrated even the basic ability to manage a large launch smoothly, being plagued by download and connection issues early on.

With that said, the concept of TSW is intriguing enough that I will be watching. I will NOT pre-order, nor will I buy at launch under any circumstances; but I will watch and probably check out the game at launch +90 days or launch  +180.