Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long will this setup last me before I need to upgrade?

jakebaker13jakebaker13 Member Posts: 55

I custom ordered my first Gaming PC last week after using consoles all my life. (Well, I did play Diablo 2 and Guild Wars.) I have spent the last month researching the components I wanted to have built into the machine and looking at benchmarks. The only information is what the average lifespan is for these. How long do you guys/gals think it will be before I have to upgrade anything and what would it be that I needed to upgrade first. (Yes I know I have entirely too much RAM.)

CAS: * Azza Solano 1000 Full-Tower Advance Cooling Case w/ Dual 230mm Fan + Extra 3 Fans [+53]

CD: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive  (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: [Special] Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366

CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case (Blue Color)

FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System  (1 x System)

FAN: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 240MM w/ Dual Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclcking Performance + Extreme Slient at 18dBA) 

GEAR1: Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Mouse Pad - Speed [

HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD  (Single Hard Drive)

KEYBOARD: Razer Lycosa Black USB Gaming Keyboard 

MEMORY: 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+144] (Corsair Dominator ])

MONITOR: * 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre E246W-1080P (23.6" Viewable)(Black Color) LED Backlight, Built-in Speaker, DVI, HDMI Input 

MOTHERBOARD: * (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI [+42]MOUSE: Razer Deathadder 3500 DPI High Precision 3.5G Infrared Gaming Mouse 

POWERSUPPLY: * 950 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-950TX 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready 

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

TEMP: NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Touch Screen Fan Control & Temperature Display [

VIDEO:  2X AMD Radeon HD 6870 in CrossFireX

There Are other things like neon lights and free games (Star Trek Online and Black Tango Down I believe.) but I didn't think they would be worth mentioning. Hope to hear some feedback!

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

On your budget, you should wait.  How long it will last you depends on what your standards are.  But it will probably last you an extra year or so if you wait two months before buying something much better with the same budget.

Sandy Bridge will launch in about two months, and offer far better processor performance than the two year old processor you list there, and likely be cheaper, too.  Cayman (Radeon HD 6970) should launch in about two weeks, and will likely be the appropriate video card for your budget.  If nothing else, it will probably drive down prices on the GeForce GTX 580 that launched today, as Cayman cards should be much cheaper to build than GF110-based cards.

Also, you should get a good solid state drive.  Otherwise, you end up spending $2000 or whatever on a machine that is just painfully slow.  Load the OS and your main applications on the SSD and they'll be fast and responsive.  If you need more capacity, then you can also get a slow hard drive of whatever capacity you need.  There are some rather bad solid state drives out there, too.  I don't care to give a long explanation, but if you get an SSD from OCZ, Mushkin, G.Skill, Crucial, or Intel, it won't be a bad one.

Skip the hard drive cooling system.  Hard drives actually function better at significantly above room temperature.  If the ambient temperature inside your case is hot enough to be a problem for your hard drive, then it's hot enough to be a bigger problem for your motherboard, processor, video card, and power supply.  It looks like you're getting plenty of case fans, so that shouldn't be an issue.

$19 for a mouse pad?  Really?  Unless the surface you're going to use it on is reflective or transparent, that's a waste of money.  A decent modern mouse will work flawlessly without a mouse pad.

If you want to pay a lot for a mouse, have at it.  But do be aware that beyond about 1600 DPI, higher resolutions are just a dumb gimmick.  It will round to the mouse pointing at exactly the same pixel on the screen anyway.  You may well have to pay a lot if you want a peculiar shape or button configuration.

I don't see any real advantage to spending a fortune on a keyboard, either.  Does it have some special functionality that you need?  Sticking "gaming" in the name is usually just marketing ploy.

Yes, you do have too much memory.  If you're dead set on getting 12 GB, make it three sticks of 4 GB each, not six of 2 GB each.

A 950 W power supply is rather overkill for a system that will top out at maybe 450 W under an artificial stress test.  You could save some money and get the Corsair 750 TX and it will still be overkill for your system.  You do need a good quality power supply, though; anything Corsair makes except for some of their CX ones are good enough.  

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

It will last you 3 years or more.  It may last you 4 years or more depending upon what you want to do with it.

DX11 will be around for a long time and that computer will run DX11 games.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

I would gauge this to be atleast 3 years but the hardware race is getting pretty mean this year we have seen 2 upgrade version in GPU so its hard to tell

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

Good system

What about mine?

2x Radeon HD 5770 1gb w/ hdmi output to my 720p tv next to my desk =)

intel i5 750 quad core 2.66

4x best  1gb ram (dont remember brand name)

1tb hd

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

Ill give your a year or two :)

How long it will last you depends on your standards and your budget.  Some people today play games on computers that weren't that great five years ago.  Others buy a high end system and upgrade it every year as new hardware releases that is faster than the old.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

This setup will last you 2 years tops. 

The reason you are going Crossfire is for extreme performance in gaming. 

The thing about the latest cards is that while the performance exists on ATI, this 6XXX series is more like a new "Hardware" update to the 5XXX series. It would be wise to wait, but you aren't getting any younger. The other thing is that we pretty much are beyond the half-life of Quad Cores themselves. 

This isn't because of their performance. They are solid performance, but at the rate companies are bloating their programs, the time will be accelerated when a user will be forced into Hex Cores, Octal Cores as well as CPU/GPU Hybrids as a processor. 

Also, from gaming standpoints...

The next generation of Engines are slated to launch in 2012 - 2014. Unreal Engine 4 is a prime example as well as the latest Doom/Quake Engine in the works. The Next Generation Physics Engine is set to launch along the same timeframe. Basically a time is going to come where in a Six Month Span we are going to bombarded with so much groundbreaking technology on all fronts that our performance is going to go downhill fast..

Think of it like during the time when Doom 3 came out, that RTS and MMOs were also getting a massive graphics overhaul..and new engines were being released and from all sides a time came relatively fast when our hardware wasn't enough to render a good framerate. 

Originally posted by Shinami

This isn't because of their performance. They are solid performance, but at the rate companies are bloating their programs, the time will be accelerated when a user will be forced into Hex Cores, Octal Cores as well as CPU/GPU Hybrids as a processor. 

The coming FUD war between Intel and AMD over how many cores Bulldozer-based processors have may well kill off the notion of a number of cores before that happens.

Quad core processors are going to be good enough for gaming for several years to come.  The bigger reason that Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer are going to be such a big deal is improvements in instructions per cycle, which lets you get more performance out of each core.  Amdahl's Law will limit performance improvements from scaling to more cores, but there are no such drawbacks to IPC improvements--or at least none that we know of.  Yet.

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

I still give Jake 3 + years for gaming.  If the day comes that he needs more graphics power he can purchase a new video card, or two ...

RE: travdoty, your computer will last a long time, especially if you keep the resolution at 720p.

I am still running an E8600 and an HD 4890.  The games I play run fine on my 32" HDTV-monitor, including the original Crysis.

When people were dumping them for Core i7, I thought about purchasing an QX9650 SLAWN (C1) at ~ $230, however my computer still works fine for everything I do and could not justify spending any money to fix a computer that is not broken.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by Shinami

If you like Amdhal's law and computer sciences...I was one of those people who challenged it years ago. I stated that while Amdhal's initial statement and hypothesis is correct, the equation of his proof no longer is. Due to this it becomes a hypothesis with visual proof, but no accuracy to measure the level of improvement. Due to this it becomes theory, rather than a Law. :) I got very good reception and input from Computer Scientists on both side of things. I did manage to find a function that works for the AMD Athlon 64 series of processors, but that function was broken with Phenom when I tested them. (I test technology from all camps)

What I bring to the table is an above average well roundedness in many areas in computing, with a specialization in parallelism over brute force algorithms. (Hey, someone has to keep that kind of coding alive!) 

I like AMDs plan on its next generation processors...But I don't blame AMD for the human condition. Take the next processors launching. Say we run two 1.6ghz cores along with a built in GPU. You and I are not "normal users" but the average users out there are going to buy into the Security Panic. 

The average user out there spends more than half his total performance running all the security, on top of fully bloated Shell under max looks (rather than performance), on top of an ever slowing registry combined with drive fragmentation along with poor, unoptimized programs, You get a Quad Core computer, that feels like a single core computer from ten years ago. 

To me, Linux is my main Operating System and for the games that do not work on Linux, I run them under Windows 7. 

What do you think? 

I think you are Off topic, better for you to start a new thread with all this theory, the OP was asking about his computer and how long will it last updated for gaming.

To the OP: Ib my opinion your computer looks awesome. There is always more stuff coming but if you want it now, buy it. It will last you a long time. There is always room for improvement in computing, but your looks good to last a long time. Just and advice buy a good antivirus program and maintain the system clean and updated.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

I guess it depends on the use of the computer. New games come out that will always make top of the line hardware seem antiquated, it's a vicious cycle.

It seems to me as long as you keep the same monitor your computer should last at least 2 years.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

@Alakram

Your post could have been written as "Your comp is good, but be wary of the future" instead of posting two paragraphs of nothingness and taking a stab at me without the education to back it up. 

Sincerely,

~Shinami 

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

4 years on that setup and ad another 2 if you upgrade your GPU... so 6 years..

• bkerensabkerensa Member Posts: 2

Systems have a short half life

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by bkerensa
    Systems have a short half life

.. What? I think you misunderstand what Half Life means. :D

Your post could have been written as "Your comp is good, but be wary of the future" instead of posting two paragraphs of nothingness and taking a stab at me without the education to back it up.

He's right, really. Your post is very offtopic and now you took at stab at him. This isn't about education, it's about staying within the topic at hand.

I personally wouldn't build anything right now. Sandy Bridge will bring new power to the table, as well as the release of the 69XX series will bring price cuts to current graphics cards.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

If his computer is radioactive, maybe that's why it doesn't last very long?

Also, I don't think that User Deleted is coming back to read this.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Quizzical

Also, I don't think that User Deleted is coming back to read this.

That's unfortunate...

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• kamikkazekamikkaze Member Posts: 83

2+ year

and as hardcore, I would put watercolling system on it XD

LOTRO player