Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Henrik's latest words on Mortal, and my comments

2»

Comments

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Originally posted by Qunitillian

Originally posted by Destai

What I don't understand is why people bother with a game like this, after such a long period of neglect. It is obvious their priorities are displaced and in my opinion that it should be on the market. Give up, let the game go and move on to better pastures.

I guess people bothered with the game because the game design on paper is really, really good. In a way MO has been positive in this respect; that is it has set the gorund in terms of ideas for what is wanted by the playerbase. Hopefully these ideas can be picked up and better executed by others, this is my sincere hope.

@ Destai:     Hate to say it, but I'm really not clear where you are coming from.

"their priorities" --  who are they? the devs or the complainers

Two potential interpretations:   1 "What I don't understand is why people spend their  time complaining about a game like this so long after they have decided not to play it.  Their need to continue complaining is displaced and they should leave it to the market to decide the fate of this game, instead of mounting a crusade to kill it. Give up the crusade, let it go and find something you DO enjoy." 

2  What I don't understand is why people bother playing a game like this, after such the devs have neglected obviousflaws for so long. It is obvious their development priorities are displaced and in my opinion that it should [not] be on the market. Everyone currently playing should give up, let the game go and move on to better pastures.

@Quintillian:    I mostly agree with your point.  MO (and Darkfall and EVE) have shown that a significant portion of the MMO playerbase are looking for something very different from the more theme park style of most mmos.  Hoefully those ideas can be picked up and better executed by others, but the only game on the horizon that I think has a reasonable chance of doing so is  WoD, which is still at least a year from release.  In the meantime, I look forward to Starvault continuing to improve their execution of the intended game design

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987

Originally posted by osmunda

@Quintillian:    I mostly agree with your point.  MO (and Darkfall and EVE) have shown that a significant portion of the MMO playerbase are looking for something very different from the more theme park style of most mmos.  

What do you consider this "significant portion of the MMO playerbase" that MO has shown are looking for something very different?  I agree EVE has done so.. Darkfall I would really doubt has had much impact playerwise... but MO?  Do you really think that the MO playerbase is a significant portion of the MMO playerbase?   This isn't a knock on anything or anyone but given the population numbers and the shortfall in subscribers openly admited to by the CEO... I think it's a stretch to say that MO has had any impact at all on the overall MMO playerbase.   I don't think you can draw any conclusions at all about the general MMO population from what is seen in MO...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Originally posted by osmunda

@Quintillian:    I mostly agree with your point.  MO (and Darkfall and EVE) have shown that a significant portion of the MMO playerbase are looking for something very different from the more theme park style of most mmos.  

What do you consider this [object Window]significant portion of the MMO playerbase[object Window] that MO has shown are looking for something very different?  I agree EVE has done so.. Darkfall I would really doubt has had much impact playerwise... but MO?  Do you really think that the MO playerbase is a significant portion of the MMO playerbase?   This isn[object Window]t a knock on anything or anyone but given the population numbers and the shortfall in subscribers openly admited to by the CEO... I think it[object Window]s a stretch to say that MO has had any impact at all on the overall MMO playerbase.   I don[object Window]t think you can draw any conclusions at all about the general MMO population from what is seen in MO...

I think DF overr time will make a bigger impact than what folks are going to give it credit for.  The devs do get it and I think DF2010 will give us a real viable game in DF that should entice more into playing who might have been scared off before.  MO though is still way to early to say.  I wish they would sell the game to a better development company to take what is there and make it great but in the hands of this team I just cannot see a bright and shining future because they do not get it.

DF is as big as its ever going to get. Most people do not like full loot or forced PvP.

• nmalthusnmalthus Member CommonPosts: 98

It was set to fail before launch and it's on the course to fail with flying colors. They should just shut the servers down until it's ready or do what S-E did and give everyone free time until this on the verge of epic fail is fixed.  It won't be long before it ends up like Archlord.  Interestingly enough 95% of the f2p games have much better looking female character models. Take Perfect World, Jade Dynasty, Soul of the Ultimate Nation, Granado Espada etc.... and beyond that, forced pvp has proven to be a failed formula with a couple exceptions.

• jimbo775jimbo775 Member Posts: 30

Mortal was a good idea, nothing more.

Starvault's mentality is way too small for a project like this. They should start by developing iPhone and Blackberry games, not with MMOs.

Starvault fails hard, Mortal fails hard, i hope they realize this soon and shut the whole thing down, and never try to develop a game again.

Mortal Online is like a prostitute that tells you she loves you so she can get more money out of your horny pocket.

• ange10ange10 Member Posts: 307

People predicted that darkfall would be gone within a year, its still around.

If darkfall is around then the chances of mortal dying is like 0.

give it up already, nothing you do will change the fact that mortal is mortal and that its king of its regime.

trying to remove the team who created the game is like trying to keep a old nations princples in another nation.

it just does not blend or  work well.

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by nmalthus

forced pvp has proven to be a failed formula with a couple exceptions.

MO ruleset has NOTHING to do with its failings!!!

I fully support PvP centric games,  I just find MO to be a poor game overall.

The "forumla" doesn't fail, its the inexperienced/inept developers that taint the genre.  The right team could easily pull off a "successful"  PvP mmorpg. 

I win!!! LOL@U

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Im not sure what false promises SV  have made to make people think all that is listed in this update will not be eventually added to the game.

But from release tindrem wasnt in which was promised :( but im willing to wait for it since another npc town isnt needed in MO right now.

Desync has been annoying, it was there at release and made me unsub from the game for about a month. However i did come back and the desync seems to have coemback as a result of the last major update from epic games. But no where near the extent that was release. the game is completely playable.

Right now in MO features are the problem theres just not enough to do. Bugs always need fixing and devs are always promising new things in an MMO thats because an mmo is never finished i honestly cant believe some developers charge for new content to a game people are all ready paying a subscription to though thats just a low blow.

and at least SV  try to listen to their fans. That last "expansion" to darkfall just proved that they dont care 1 bit about their own player base they didnt listen what so ever. SV try to deliever what the palyers want to keep them happy.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• nmalthusnmalthus Member CommonPosts: 98

Originally posted by HanoverZ

Originally posted by nmalthus

forced pvp has proven to be a failed formula with a couple exceptions.

MO ruleset has NOTHING to do with its failings!!!

I fully support PvP centric games,  I just find MO to be a poor game overall.

The "forumla" doesn't fail, its the inexperienced/inept developers that taint the genre.  The right team could easily pull off a "successful"  PvP mmorpg. 

Actually it does because pvp centric games will never have the paid player base of a game that caters to all then they are forced to go f2p like Archlord. Only ones to pull it off really is NCsoft.  Lineage II has pretty rough penalties for pking and Aion gives you optional means to avoid pvp if you don't feel like pvping. Yeah MO is a poor game overall but it being pvp centric and p2p doesn't help it any.  Darkfall is pretty bad too but just because it's still around doesn't say much.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by jkun666

Too bad DF is for the WoW generation. It is a theme park MMO filled with annoying kids. I'll stick to MO, a true immersive sandbox that actually requires skill and use of the players brain.

Immersion is in the person, not the game. The only use of your brain I could find in this game is learning when you're being burned by amateurs. Mortal Online promised much and delivered little. All Henrik is there for is to blind those who still listen.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's get back on topic, this is a forum for discussing MO, not DFO. Also, lets cut out the baiting. Thanks.