Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THIS - is the way to do F2P.

2»

Comments

• anwaranwar Member UncommonPosts: 108

Originally posted by jusomdude

The only thing that sucks for me is that they don't offer monster play for free :(

Probably the problem there is that monsters (creeps) can be made by anybody at level 10 and the creeps are instantly at top level, while the freep side (free peoples) is your normal charactor.  Having the monster play free at first would mean a huge number of creeps at max level playing a few freeps still leveleing up.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I really feel that f2p ruined the game. Seeing TP ads on every window, 'unlock now!' as you will, really ruins the setting and the initial feel of the game. I find it rather disheartening that the developers spent time on this rather rather than improving the oft clunky combat system or fixing radiance. They really have done a great job up until this point. 

As someone with a background in economics and finance, I can appreciate the need for a better revenue but that should be at the expense of your core product or its premises.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by zephermarkus

Lotr far from f2p and it cost more no to get access to everything then it did before they went to so called f2p.

Well, this is a boldfaced lie.  Subbing to the game unlocks everything but the expansion packs and seeing how when you are subbed you get free points plus the points you get in game you can buy those without spending any extra money.

So if you want to be technical about it if anything it is actually cheaper now than before.  Unless you're one of those impulsive buyers that has to have everything immediately regardless whether you can even use it yet.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• LolusLolus Member UncommonPosts: 29

It's more like Free2Pay, games going this way will be more expensive than those with monthly quota unless you want to feel left out, next thing will be selling gold officially

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Originally posted by zephermarkus

Lotr far from f2p and it cost more no to get access to everything then it did before they went to so called f2p.

Well, this is a boldfaced lie. Subbing to the game unlocks everything but the expansion packs and seeing how when you are subbed you get free points plus the points you get in game you can buy those without spending any extra money.

So if you want to be technical about it if anything it is actually cheaper now than before. Unless you're one of those impulsive buyers that has to have everything immediately regardless whether you can even use it yet.

Exactly. I would save a ton going back to a sub but I didn't HAVE to pay for anything. I guess I get a shopper's high because I continue to stay free and pay for...mainly fluff...in the LOTRO store. I also like the idea that once I buy all premium content...quests...storage of all types..classes...it's there for always or at least until the game shuts down. I'm glad to support them as long as possible so my personal investment remains available to me as long as possible. It's a good game..so I have no problems. I can even move on knowing I certainly put my fair share of support into it's continued existence.

• PrinceZarokPrinceZarok Member Posts: 17

Seriously this is one of the best f2p models out there. The tp reward system makes it  all the more unique. And with the upcoming november update level cap restrictions will be removed for f2p players making it all the more f2p.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by PrinceZarok

Seriously this is one of the best f2p models out there. The tp reward system makes it  all the more unique. And with the upcoming november update level cap restrictions will be removed for f2p players making it all the more f2p.

That was one of the few complaints I had about their model.  I'm glad to see they are removing that for f2p players.  It benefits everyone far as I'm concerned.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Originally posted by Methos12

Originally posted by thexrated

You have to pay for Classes, Gold Cap and Content (Quests and such). If you need to buy those, it's not F2P. A F2P doesn't limit users away from Content unless they pay. Real F2Ps will give you access to all it's content at no cost, and rather focus on fluffs or slight bonus to enhance the experience, without making them necessary for one's success.

If you are locked out of content, like it is the case in LOTRO, than it is not F2P.

Here is the thing.  

If you're doing to do ALL THE CONTENT and play ALL THE CLASSES in LoTRO, then the game actually is F2P.  Because by the time you do ALL THE CONTENT on ALL THE CLASSES that you get free, you'll have enough free TP to buy all the other classes and all the other content.

On the other hand if you're just going to do enough content to level, you're also given that free.  

Free to play just means that you CAN play - forever, for free.   Which you can.  Whether you choose to, is up to you.  

Stuff like trait unlocks and gold unlocks are really cheap.  I'm not exaggerating, but I had enough free TP to buy lone-lands questpack and unlock an extra traitslot within 1 hour of starting to play.   This is with no grind whatsoever.   Within a week, I had enough to get rid of the gold cap, although I didn't really see the point, since I didn't get over 5g for another 2 weeks after. 

If you want to argue semantics, no game offers "EVERYTHING" for free.  All games have stuff that you can only get if you buy it.  With TP being earned in-game, LoTRO actually provides players with the opportunity to get virtually everything free.  Albeit, it is very hard, but if you're the sort of person that needs to do EVERYTHING, then it'll be easy.  

My only concern with LoTRO atm is that eventually, I expect them to actually add NEW  questpacks, rather than selling new people the same old ones.   I really hope that the influx of people and the opportunity to sell new questpacks gets their development team to crank out new stuff faster.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ziifnabziifnab Member UncommonPosts: 53

It is not, if you have to pay for content to advance. Micro-transactions do not always mean mid-session content. In fact, often they just mean about paying for beneficial buffs or items.

You don't need to pay a dime to unlock everything that LotRO has to offer.

You have to pay for Classes, Gold Cap and Content (Quests and such). If you need to buy those, it's not F2P. A F2P doesn't limit users away from Content unless they pay. Real F2Ps will give you access to all it's content at no cost, and rather focus on fluffs or slight bonus to enhance the experience, without making them necessary for one's success.

If you are locked out of content, like it is the case in LOTRO, than it is not F2P.

Everything you mentioned can be unlocked via Turbine Points. How many times do people need to mention that TP can be earned for FREE in-game? That means you don't HAVE to pay for anything... according to my dictionary this means free.

95% of all percentages quoted on the internet are made up on the spot 50% of the time.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by ziifnab

It is not, if you have to pay for content to advance. Micro-transactions do not always mean mid-session content. In fact, often they just mean about paying for beneficial buffs or items.

You don't need to pay a dime to unlock everything that LotRO has to offer.

Everything you mentioned can be unlocked via Turbine Points. How many times do people need to mention that TP can be earned for FREE in-game? That means you don't HAVE to pay for anything... according to my dictionary this means free.

I agree with this. Everything in the game can be unlocked without having to pay a dime. It might take a little longer to get those points but they definitely come.

And I agree it is the way to do f2p.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

If the model is so great, tell me what do you expect a capped veteran to pay for on regular basis to keep the game going? Stat tomes, the most dumb cash shop offer I ever saw in any game, selling power in the most raw form for excess prices without added fun or without actually giving you noticeable power? On permanent basis?

Or is the model so great because you can sub for one single month and circumvent large part of the very model itself?

Selling content? That works fine for skirmishes, but for quests not so much. They did not reduce Lone Lands from heavily discounted to next to nothing because it worked oh so well. You buy quests when you are new (did you just have revelation, years after the game was introduced?), and not even all of them because there is clutter of 40-50 from days where leveling was slower and some of those quests reek of time sink and are pain without swift travel and barely bearable with it.

It is good AAA MMO, it is very generous offer, sure, it is easy to make generous offers when your product already turned profit and is nearing end of its original life cycle. It is incredible free trial and good sub game, but nothing indicates the F2P model itself is actually good and fits. Contrary to DDO, where similar model, but not the same, is fitting very well; but DDO is special in many regards.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Didn't want to start that debate again but, it's not F2P. A real F2P allows you to play from the beginning to the end-game and have access to all it's in-game content without ever spending a dime.

What LOTRO offers is an Unlimited Free Trial Area. If you want to advance, buy content or sub. That is not to say that this model is bad, in fact, I greatly support it. But is it a Free To Play MMORPG? Hell no.

100% correct - good post!
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Tsssk , back to WoW...fanboy...tssk!

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

Oh I just realized something about the stat tomes.

DDO has stat tomes too. But DDO lets you respec your character, it can cost a lot of money  but if you are attached to your character yet want a change, you do not have to re-roll, you can just change the class and whatever, there are quite some items in shop that aid you in this. The stat tomes are crucial part of it because some classes are quite demanding on stat distribution.

LOTRO does not have any respecs in cash shop at all, they omitted this classic F2P offer that makes money and makes people happy. They copied over stat tomes that serve no good purpose here, and are permanent so either they keep pumping out more (they already started, introducing +50) or the income will dry out.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Tyrrhon

Oh I just realized something about the stat tomes.

DDO has stat tomes too. But DDO lets you respec your character, it can cost a lot of money  but if you are attached to your character yet want a change, you do not have to re-roll, you can just change the class and whatever, there are quite some items in shop that aid you in this. The stat tomes are crucial part of it because some classes are quite demanding on stat distribution.

LOTRO does not have any respecs in cash shop at all, they omitted this classic F2P offer that makes money and makes people happy. They copied over stat tomes that serve no good purpose here, and are permanent so either they keep pumping out more (they already started, introducing +50) or the income will dry out.

There's really not any point in doing so.  All people of the same classes have the same basic stats.  There are some small racial adjustments, but they don't warrant a respec.

Deeds are really the only things worth changing and you CAN change them, as often as you want, by visiting a bard.

• UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by gordiflu

Free to play or not, I don't care. Really. No-cooldown pots that you can only obtain via the item shop? Buying stat boosts from the item shop? No thx. Not for me.

I do endgaming content regularly and I can tell you that both items are not required and do not change significantly the gaming experience. Especially the Stats tomes are pretty useless at higher levels, as your main stat is capped at 650 anyway.

Never felt I had to buy them and the game is still very enjoyable.

To be honest, aside from a few minor details, the switch to F2P or whatever you want to name it has been a success. Now what we need is some high level content, especially in terms of Raids and Instances. But I'm confident they will deliver it

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by caelach

It is great to see soembody making a game F2P game with honest intent. Turbine has given an awesome playing experience to the masses using a business model that allows for money to be made, yet does not trick or gouge the player. Of course the setting of the game is beyond compare as it is based on the epitomy of what the genre is. Everything from the graphics to the music to the gameplay and on and on are outstanding. It is hard to find fault with this experience. It is immensely enjoyable without spending a dime. But I plan to throw some money their way despite that. They do have to pay some bills after all. Finally, some people just trying to make an honest buck arrive on the F2P scene.

Overall I feel it is the best representation of what free to play can be but I don't expect that most people could or would follow this model like Cryptic for instance, I don't know that this model would transalte well in the content light games they make.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....