Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Elemental Invasion

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Events leading up to the release of the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm expansion are underway. "Cataclysmic" events are beginning to take place with earthquakes, nefarious Twilight's Hammer agents showing up in major cities and now elemental spirits are making their presence known around Azeroth.

Wayward fire spirits have engulfed Orgrimmar, threatening to reduce the proud Horde capital to ash. Across the Great Sea, a sudden influx of earth spirits has rocked the foundations of Ironforge, pushing the once-indomitable dwarven bastion to the brink of collapse.

Even so, a glimmer of hope has come in the form of ancient tablets recovered in Northrend. These mysterious artifacts are believed to hold clues concerning Azeroth's tormented elementals -- a claim that can only be validated once the artifacts are delivered safely from the northern continent. The gifted shaman Thrall has also begun his own efforts to shed light on the disasters befalling the world. Of great concern, however, is whether anything will be left of Orgrimmar and Ironforge by the time answers are found....

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I think the invasion is more annoying than anything else, the elementals only attack the NPCs and of course if you need to talk to a specific NPC they are sometimes off fighting the elementals or dead from doing so.

• abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68

WAAAAAAH! Something is even slightly inconvenient although it makes sense within the game world. WAAAAAAH!

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Rift !!! anybody??

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• DestructhorDestructhor Member Posts: 88

The Invasion is ok, IMHO it could be done a bit better, but at least it is something different.

p.s. I totally Miss the Zombie event, that $h!t was fun!

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by abyss404

WAAAAAAH! Something is even slightly inconvenient although it makes sense within the game world. WAAAAAAH!

While I don't know if I'd put it that way... I agree with the sentiment in principle. It's cool that the world isn't always under our control, and that there's events out there that affect players whether they like it or not.

Just wait till Deathwing comes and starts ganking everyone in random zones. Looking forward to that (seriously).

• elsurionelsurion Member Posts: 24

I love the "evolving world" and story line and Its been a blast getting to be a part of it. Blizzard IMO rocks.

• ZarkanarZarkanar Member Posts: 55

ROFLMAO this is totally just poking fun at RIFT. I love Blizzard when they're jerks like this, what I mean is, I love Blizzard. Too bad they totally screwed up all the classes of the game, else I'd still be playing.

------------------------
    Everyone on this site:
    1: MMORPGs are DOOMED, and I have the answers to save them!
    2: THIS game's gonna kill WoW!
    3: I wish things would go back to the Golden Age of MMORPGs, which only existed in my mind...

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

Originally posted by snoocky

Rift !!! anybody??

LOL!  I was thinking the same thing LOL!  Now I know that some WoW Fanatic will think that RIFT was ripping of  WoW for the idea LOL!

p.s. Whin I said  " WoW Fanatic" I do not mean every WoW fan, but we all know the type.  ;)

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Rift !!! anybody??

There were elemental invasions in vanilla WoW, in fact.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Rift !!! anybody??

Exactly. It happened during patch 1.4.0 back in 2005. I just think this is a way for Blizzard to slap Rifts with the big donkey ---- in the face while saying: "Hey! You're welcome for the game idea, good luck!"

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MyrathiMyrathi Member Posts: 94

Heh. New feat of strength, gained during this event, is "Tripping the Rift". ;)

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Rift !!! anybody??

Exactly. It happened during patch 1.4.0 back in 2005. I just think this is a way for Blizzard to slap Rifts with the big donkey ---- in the face while saying: "Hey! You're welcome for the game idea, good luck!"

They did this in Ultima Online in 2000 when Minax invaded right before the release of Trammel.  It's not like Blizzard invented the idea.

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Originally posted by abyss404

While I don't know if I'd put it that way... I agree with the sentiment in principle. It's cool that the world isn't always under our control, and that there's events out there that affect players whether they like it or not.

Just wait till Deathwing comes and starts ganking everyone in random zones. Looking forward to that (seriously).

Won't happen. It'll be like the Scourge Invasion of Org or SW...off in the corner where few travel. Like if he hit Westfall...it'd be at the dock by the lighthouse.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by fodell54

Rift !!! anybody??

They did this in Ultima Online in 2000 when Minax invaded right before the release of Trammel.  It's not like Blizzard invented the idea.

They also did it 2 years later with Planes of Power for EQ, but we're not talking about who invented it now are we? But pray tell us, with some key people at Trion Worlds coming from Blizzard as well, what recent version of this scenario do you think most of those people have experienced? A 10 year old version or a 5 year old one?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

After closing 2 elemental rifts, and then spending 3 hours waiting for a third one to open, only to see the mobs kill the elementals before I can fly over there on my nifty 310% speed mount, I logged out and let my game time lapse.  By itself it wasn't annoying enough that I won't play again, but it highlighted all the other stuff about the game that's just annoying...trading obstacles you can learn to overcome with timed walls you can't cross (until the timer goes off).

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Hammer32Hammer32 Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by fodell54

Rift !!! anybody??

Yeah, UO was actually a fun game then. at least now there is a PVP server they are testing out. kinda makes UO worth playing again. No care bears, no guards!!!