Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More job cuts from Fallen Earth

Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

http://www.massively.com/2010/11/08/more-job-cuts-from-fallen-earth/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Massively+%28Massively%29

Ohh, well. I played quite a bit this past year, but got so burnt on its' lack of player-centric and meaningless and redundent content.  I'm sure they'll continue with their niche following, but with so many over-sight possibilities that could have been wrapped within this title, it doesn't surprise me that they have to continue to cut whats left of a skeleton crew to pay the bills I guess.

Comments

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I'm far from a doom and gloomer, but you've gotta wonder when a dev team is already small, when is the "trimming" less about "losing the bloat" and more "getting scalpel happy".

In a recent forum post Archangel said they weren't burning printer paper to keep warm at Icarus...*sigh*.

I've always been a stalwart supporter of FE, but this actually upset me. Obviously things aren't great as far as financials go at Icarus, and the one thing that would bring subs back sharpish (as far as I can make out from the forums) is new content, the oft-promised (near mythical) S4, more stuff for capped players to do for a bit.

I don't know how quickly a smaller team can pump that out.

I've no intention of unsubbing, I'm not trying to claim the sky is falling or anything like that....as a player, I'm just bummed.

Wes, Dave and Jessica were all damn fine at what they did, and it sucks that they've lost their jobs.

Hopefully they'll all find new employers soon, but in the meantime FE (and things like the Letters to the Devs program)  is a heck of a portfolio.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

In a recent forum post Archangel said they weren't burning printer paper to keep warm at Icarus...*sigh*.

Well, I've been waiting a long time for the studio to flesh some content out and really add to the depth of game-play before I re-subbed. This just keeps me at a distance for a longer period of time.

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

Given how close this comes after the "reactivate your sub for $4.99" push, I'd say doom and gloom might be fairly appropriate.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Really is a shame.

I enjoyed my time in it.  Just wasn't anything there that kept me interested long term in the game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I was thinking about getting this game but after hearing stuff like this I don't know if I want to.

Jusomdude, try the free trial and see what you think. It's worth giving the game a shot.

This week (today?) we should see a State of the Game from Marie (Senior Game Designer) that'll give us a better idea where things are headed.

Judging from my time in the help channel in-game over the past couple of days, people are still trying (and buying) the game.

Yeah, there's doom and gloom abounding, but we had that in April as well. People (even me!) tend to forget just how hard the team at Icarus are working. I read over my blog yesterday and saw all the stuff that they've done, live events, contests and patches galore, and kicked my lousy doom-feelings into a corner.

If you try it, and like it, you'll have a blast in the Wastelands; if you try it and don't like it, nothing lost but the time taken to d/load and install.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Lack of a free trial = first nail in coffin.  Job cuts = second nail.

Why games like this don't offer free trials is beyond me.  How do they think WOW hit it's first 4 million subs?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• gorticgortic Member UncommonPosts: 115

Originally posted by Souldrainer

Why games like this don't offer free trials is beyond me.  How do they think WOW hit it's first 4 million subs?

um... there is a free trial

• DanbaccaDanbacca Member UncommonPosts: 247

It has a free trial. For quite a while I might add.

*cough* https://www.fallenearth.com/trial *cough*

In case you didn't believe the others....