Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow PC / cpu / gpu max performance

alex6665alex6665 Member Posts: 4

hello guys, I'm about to buy a new PC. I was wondering if I should go on a i7 950 or i5 760?

performance increase is significant? Not considering the price.

I choose a single GPU (6870).

Ram 4 Gb 1600 mhz G. skill eco

Mb: Asus P7P55D-E 1156

""?CPU: i5 760?""

What do you think of this system?

---------

What is currently the best system to play ONLY in world of warcraft and not to other games?

Comments

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Just world of warcraft?  You are overkill with the system specs stated(unless you are on a 2560x1600 monitor in which case you are just about right).

The best simple thing you can probably do to improve your experiences with a new pc for just wow is to remember to get an SSD drive. 

• Whiplash931Whiplash931 Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by alex6665

hello guys, I'm about to buy a new PC. I was wondering if I should go on a i7 950 or i5 760?

---------

What is currently the best system to play ONLY in world of warcraft and not to other games?

If your gonna spend the money on a new pc get yourself an i7 860 min for processor, you wanna get a mobo that supports triple channel DDR3 RAM, I dunno about the new ATI 6870 haven't heard anything. I'm sure it would handle wow more than enough.

• alex6665alex6665 Member Posts: 4

SSD sure..

I play 1920x1080 with all details set to ultra

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Just for WoW?... euhh go buy a used dualcore machine for um..$100 ? (dualcore machines whit a low/med end videocard can play about any mmo on high . its new single player games you might wana use a Icore machine for..)

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

If you're certain that the only game you're ever going to play on it is WoW, then you might as well save some money and get something cheaper.  An Athlon II X2 ($60) processor and a Radeon HD 5670 ($80) video card has plenty of power for WoW and are well over the system requirements.

I think it would be a mistake to buy a computer assuming that you're not going to get sick of WoW in a year (or maybe a month), quit, and want to play some other game.  But if you really want to go that route, then get a platform that's easy to upgrade.  A modern Socket AM3 motherboard with an AMD 870 chipset (and SB850 southbridge) will let you replace just the processor and video card a year or two from now when you decide that building just for WoW was a dumb idea, while keeping the rest of the system intact and have a powerful gaming system then.

Are you building the system yourself, or do you have to hire an OEM to do it for you?

• kamikkazekamikkaze Member Posts: 83

to Run WoW maxed...a Pentium 4 HT with 1GB (512 if using WinXp) and a radeon 9xxx or geforce 5200

hehehe, just kidding....but with this spec you really should consider play guild wars 2 instead wow...it just doesnt deserve a machine like that

LOTRO player

I play wow for 4 years.

Wow is not to be underestimated in terms of requirements if you want to play with everything max at 1920x1080 with 60 fps everywhere fixed

Personally I'm building pc, not oem

Usually when I play I would also like a variety of applications in the background eg. ventrilo / windows media players, etc. ..

Recently introduced DX11 AND:

Graphics

* Improved water and lava rendering system (Video Options - Liquid Detail on the Graphics Panel)

* Dynamic Sunshafts effect (Video Options - Sunshafts on the Graphics Panel)

* Multi-monitor support (Video Options - Monitor on the Graphics Panel)

* OpenGL Hardware Cursor support for Windows (Video Options - Hardware Cursor on the Advanced Panel)

* Experimental support for DX11

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Perhaps it would be best to ignore WoW and build the best gaming machine you can on your budget.  Speaking of which, what is your budget?

Also, are you in the United States?

I'm in Italy

my budget is about 1500 € / 2000 $

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Alex, if you build pc's you should know that a medium dual core machine can very eassy handle wow at max super duper setting at that resolution.  before my financial sinkdown I had a 3ghz dual core whit a ati 3870 and a 24" screen same res. it had np running any game on max settings. 

anyway whit that amound you can buy some realy nice hardware.  tho If i were you seeing the political crisis over there, the high unemployment rates and general europian economics I would save some of that and just keep waht you have now or so a moderate upgrade.

else you could end up like me, having to sell off your machine and a year later get someting egual/lesser then you have now ;)

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

There are some good points here.  We do not know what kind of system you have, so please share that with us.

Using an Intel E8600 overclocked to 4GHz and an HD 3890 X2 I got over 200 fps in a few places.  After logging in, in Dalaran I got about 35 fps when the inn was packed with players and 100+ people were in the city.  After switching to an HD 4890 factory overclocked I got a few frames higher in the inn at very busy times, but the most important change was much more smoothness in the packed inn with the HD 4890 [ a single GPU].  Outside of the inn when 100+ people were in the city my frame rates were between 45 fps and 78 fps.  With fewer people in Dalaran I got almost 100 fps in places.

Contrary to what some people believe, CPU speed does make a difference in WoW.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by centkin

Just world of warcraft?  You are overkill with the system specs stated(unless you are on a 2560x1600 monitor in which case you are just about right).

The best simple thing you can probably do to improve your experiences with a new pc for just wow is to remember to get an SSD drive. 

I have HD5870(which is a bit better than 6870) and Phenom II 965 (which is a bit slower than i5 for WoW) and have drops in fps with 8xMSAAand shadows set to max. If drop shadows just a bit I get rock solid 60 fps(vsync). That mean even WoW can benefit from 6870 if set everything to max.

Also Cataclysm will be more GPU hungry so if can spend money for 6870 you will not make a mistake.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

Originally posted by alex6665

---------

Two of the most important components of a computer are the power supply and motherboard.
    Seasonic and Antec are a couple of good name power supplies, other people here can provide more good brand names.  Make sure the power supply has enough connections for your use.
    Whatever power supply you purchase make sure it passed the requirements on this test site http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.aspx

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card