Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My verdict on this game.

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

Hi, today is the first time I ever really played Everquest 2, I played the full retail version with every expansion because I want to play an female Iksar and so here is my verdict on this game.

Where do I begin, well first of all lets talk about the graphics, it seems like the graphics are really screwed up here, had no choice but to set it on Balanced settings. But the main problem I have are the quests, the quests all make no sense, the only quests I completed are killing Parrot men and relics on the floor. The interface looks confusing as well, it's simply not simplified like how it is in World of Warcraft or most other MMO's of today. I don't know what possessed me to play this game, well I've tried it now and I'm not planning to come back to it.

Sorry SOE, your game is just not good enough for me.

UPDATE: Ok, ok everyone, I admit I did not put more effort in playing the game so I'll go play the game again. Please, no more bashing comments.

Comments

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

let's talk about your review for a HUGE MMO that you made in only 2 paragraphs....1) i am not a grammar nazi but is english, and punctuation, your 6th language? and 2) you made a 2 paragraph review on an MMO.......my lawn still needs to be mowed, see you in the morning!

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

EverQuest II is offered free-to-play for a reason.

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

EverQuest II is offered free-to-play for a reason.

I know, that's £40 down the drain...

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

i lawl'd

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by TheMinn

let's talk about your review for a HUGE MMO that you made in only 2 paragraphs....1) i am not a grammar nazi but is english, and punctuation, your 6th language? and 2) you made a 2 paragraph review on an MMO.......my lawn still needs to be mowed, see you in the morning!

he didnt make a review, he stated an oppinion.

One concise and to the point. The game is not for him. He didn't scream "burn the evelopers at stake", he said 'not good enough for me".

It doesn't get more fair than that.

I still think we should burn the evelopers.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

heh really rudy...really...      could easy had played EQ2x if this is how fast you d decline a game, and well if you dont like gorowynn try one of the other n00b area´s - tho personally never played EQ2 for their quests, other than the main questlines (prismastic, peacock and claymore questlines) and HQs....rest of the time were doing dungeons mainly, up till RoK that got to be the worse leveling experience ever, if you do the solo questing line.

• ErindalErindal Member UncommonPosts: 54

Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

Hi, today is the first time I ever really played Everquest 2, I played the full retail version with every expansion because I want to play an female Iksar and so here is my verdict on this game.

Where do I begin, well first of all lets talk about the graphics, it seems like the graphics are really screwed up here, had no choice but to set it on Balanced settings. But the main problem I have are the quests, the quests all make no sense, the only quests I completed are killing Parrot men and relics on the floor. The interface looks confusing as well, it's simply not simplified like how it is in World of Warcraft or most other MMO's of today. I don't know what possessed me to play this game, well I've tried it now and I'm not planning to come back to it.

First of all eq2 landscapes and graphics overall are no match to wow (tho I don't like eq2's characters drawing style)

Second thing is very intuitive questing system where almost any NPC can lead you to your objective through the "lightning thread" and almost all things are shown on the map (not like half-done wow questing system, guess eq2 has the best standard questing system since meridian 59 to date).

The whole gui is very similar to wow because wow in fact copied eq's interface.

So let me assume that you're suffering from some kind of brain infection that prevents thinking and information traffic that goes through your eyes.

Than more people than more opinions, but you can't be that wrong. Its like a man enjoys a strawberry infront of a man who enjoys a piece of sh.t and telling that this sh.t is so delicious so I refuse to eat your strawberry.

Tho... thats pretty normal for some ppl, so I'm not judging :)

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Member Posts: 96

I seriously question any gamer's expereince when the first thing they do is compare something to WoW....

Broaden your horizons people....

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

The real question, is why you felt you needed to share this.  I have to question your comments on the interface, and graphics, though.  The graphics I have to imagine you would have seen, I don't know, somewhere on the internet or on the their website, assuming you didn't buy a box.  What about the interface was so daunting?  As another person pointed out, the interface is basically the same as WoW's.  How'd you get confused?

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by Erindal

First of all eq2 landscapes and graphics overall are no match to wow (tho I don't like eq2's characters drawing style)

Second thing is very intuitive questing system where almost any NPC can lead you to your objective through the "lightning thread" and almost all things are shown on the map (not like half-done wow questing system, guess eq2 has the best standard questing system since meridian 59 to date).

The whole gui is very similar to wow because wow in fact copied eq's interface.

So let me assume that you're suffering from some kind of brain infection that prevents thinking and information traffic that goes through your eyes.

Than more people than more opinions, but you can't be that wrong. Its like a man enjoys a strawberry infront of a man who enjoys a piece of sh.t and telling that this sh.t is so delicious so I refuse to eat your strawberry.

Tho... thats pretty normal for some ppl, so I'm not judging :)

FYI- EQ2 and WoW came out a couple weeks apart, and both of their interfaces were not new ideas when they were released. As for the rest of your rant, you call the poster an idiot that likes the taste of shit followed by "I'm not judging". Right.....

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

If someone buys a full game including all the expansions because of a desire to play a particular character but then dismisses it after what sounds like little more than a single short session then that doesn't fill me with great confidence as to the validity of his opinion on the game.

As to the detailed comments, the UI is both pretty intuitive to any MMO player as well as being fully customisable. The graphics are quite superb on full settings but I'm guessing that the OP has a low-end rig. I'm also guessing that's he's pretty young and has only played WoW before. That isn't a criticism, but it puts his opinion in perspective.

I'd be a lot more impressed if someone played the game longer and then gave more detailed comments on it.

Originally posted by Shadewalker

If someone buys a full game including all the expansions because of a desire to play a particular character but then dismisses it after what sounds like little more than a single short session then that doesn't fill me with great confidence as to the validity of his opinion on the game.

As to the detailed comments, the UI is both pretty intuitive to any MMO player as well as being fully customisable. The graphics are quite superb on full settings but I'm guessing that the OP has a low-end rig. I'm also guessing that's he's pretty young and has only played WoW before. That isn't a criticism, but it puts his opinion in perspective.

I'd be a lot more impressed if someone played the game longer and then gave more detailed comments on it.

Well I think the real probelm is the quests, they often give you quests that make no sense of what you have to do, no indication of where to go. I feel stupid now not to use Extended instead. =(

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Well I think the real probelm is the quests, they often give you quests that make no sense of what you have to do, no indication of where to go. I feel stupid now not to use Extended instead. =(

The quests in EQ2 all give detailed enough explanations of what to do and where to go. From the description you gave, with the birdmen, I've quested through and out of that area already and it's not at all a difficult area to get around in. The quest dialog will typicaly give you some combination of an area name, what creatures or objects you're looking for, a location on the map and/or some kind of geographical description. Based on that info, it's really not difficult to work out where you need to go. Of course, that's assuming you read the dialog and pay attention to what it says.

Sounds to me like you were expecting the typical approach MMOs these days take where they leave nothing to the player to figure out for themself, leading them by the nose to each point along the way. Like WoW and myriad other MMOs trying to copy it, EQ2 has gone a bit too much in the direction of coddling the player for my taste as well. However, in EQ2, some thinking and effort is still required on the player's part.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

All the starting area quests are in front of your nose. I never have any trouble finding them and I disable all quest helper functions because I want to do some stuff for myself.

How long did you spend in EQ2 and what level were you when you stopped? 

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230

Originally posted by Erindal

HEHE, best sentence ever!!

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Try the extended, the starting place called New Halas has a pretty good 1-20 level quest line, all the places you need to go will be marked on the map as a light blue.   And also for 20-30 in butcher block, after that you have a pretty good understanding for the game.   Plus the population is just getting started, very few people over level 50 on Extended still, you could catch up and grind up to level 20 pretty fast in New Halas.   

When you get to level 50-60 things get more fun because you pretty much are a full charector and earning gold is pretty easy.   I make a few platinum a week from just selling loot.   And that is on a live server,  Dont worry you didnt waste money if your going to Extended because all the purchases you made for Live content will count for Extended, the level 80-90 content.   Thier are restrictions but you could get rid of those with an gold sub, about the same price as Live.   Me Im still making it ok on a silver sub for extended.

I have been playing this game casually for years now and I still havent leveled up a toon to max yet, still having fun exploring all the content on the way up and thier is alot of it.   Now with server merges coming I expect to be playing more on my live account but I still level toons on Extended.

All the starting area quests are in front of your nose. I never have any trouble finding them and I disable all quest helper functions because I want to do some stuff for myself.

Pretty much the first 1-3 levels I think. Maybe I should try the game again while my sub is still on.

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150

no plz dont...

Originally posted by Raxxo82

no plz dont...

???

• bandontcarebandontcare Member Posts: 72

Originally posted by JohnnyCache

I seriously question any gamer's expereince when the first thing they do is compare something to WoW....

Broaden your horizons people....

Just curious, did you play WoW at all or past level 20? No offence, it's just most people making those comments haven't even played WoW.

To the OP, you played till level 10 and you decided the game was not for you. I can understand that you didn't like the graphics and engine/interface so those can be judged in the first 10 levels. But your comments on quests quality are hard to take seriously. Most introductory quests are kill this and collect this etc. This is common to MMOs. Whether they pick up later on in the game is another story. But you can't tell cause you couldn't even be bothered to get to level 20.

• xcopydavexcopydave Member Posts: 12

Sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay.

Eq2’s quest system is not that appealing to the newer gamers. It is very common in eq2 to have to read up/research online the finer details of a quest.

This system derives from the early mmo days.

Some see past it and some just don’t.

If I may suggest:

Make a good/neutral aligned character and have her start in HALAS, it is the most current and perhaps user friendly zone in my opinion.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I tried it again on the freebie server, and the gfx looked pretty decent for its age, IMO.  The snow was a bit blindey, would be my only complaint.  It has aged pretty well compared to some other games, many of which came after it.

I eventually get bored with the combat.  Couldn't seem to find any synergy or strategy for using my skills, though I didn't seem to need any, anyhow.  While quests were moving me further and further toward battlefronts, setting and combat didn't really seem to change, get more engrossing... I just didn't feel any compulsion to keep playing.

Originally posted by xcopydave

Eq2’s quest system is not that appealing to the newer gamers. It is very common in eq2 to have to read up/research online the finer details of a quest.

That's possibly true for some people on later Heritage Quests, especially if you don't have the Quest Helper enabled and EQ2 Maps installed, but are you claiming that as a fair defence of difficulty questing from levels 1-3 as in the case of the OP? Surely not!

To the person who referred to some here not having played WoW - that is as problematic an assumption to make as it is when people dismiss someone struggling with a MMO as being a "WoW player". For the record, I have played WoW (and pretty well every other MMO since 1998), although it is in any event a pretty irrelevant point.

While past experience of MMO's (including WoW) will doubtless help someone new to EQ2, the game has been so dumbed down over the last 2 or 3 years that it is by no means essential.

• ZarkanarZarkanar Member Posts: 55

Schools still exist right? Books, too? This guy's on the internet, yes? How did this happen?

------------------------
    Everyone on this site:
    1: MMORPGs are DOOMED, and I have the answers to save them!
    2: THIS game's gonna kill WoW!
    3: I wish things would go back to the Golden Age of MMORPGs, which only existed in my mind...

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Pretty much the first 1-3 levels I think. Maybe I should try the game again while my sub is still on.

if you give the game another try --

try starting a character in Halas (the newest starting zone)

you may reconsider the game