Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Describe your perfect TEXT-BASED MMO!

Describe your perfect text-based MMO game!

For me, it would be a strategy game, a game that ACTUALLY requires proper thought and skill, not just logging in, clicking upgrade and logging out every couple hours, but a game that's like a huge really complicated game of chess with hundres or maybe even thousands of people playing together. Some sort of warfare game where you have to carefully plan everything, I guess a bit like the board game "Risk", just not as simple..

Does anyone play textbased MMOs anymore? Or is it a dead genre?

(By the way, with MMO I don't just mean traditional Dragon and sword RPG but any form of text based browser game where hundreds/thousands people play together)

Comments

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Text based browser games are a dead genre. Flash games have completely taken over. 

The perfect Text Based Browser game was TDZK, but it doesn't exist anymore. I could describe it, but it would make for a very long post. It was more like a MUD version of EVE, than a browser game. You moved around space, by clicking the different sectors, there was strategy in building your ships and taking out other player's planets, there was a kingdom management type system in that all the players of a guild could work help with in the form of the planets, and there was alot of PVE and no PVP, except for trading goods to make money and level up. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Legend of the Red Dragon

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by kevin_123

Describe your perfect text-based MMO game!

For me, it would be a strategy game, a game that ACTUALLY requires proper thought and skill, not just logging in, clicking upgrade and logging out every couple hours, but a game that's like a huge really complicated game of chess with hundres or maybe even thousands of people playing together. Some sort of warfare game where you have to carefully plan everything, I guess a bit like the board game "Risk", just not as simple..

You perfect game actually does exist! http://battlemaster.org/

Have not played that game for years though, but player it for 2 years. Only one other game (web-based or 3d) managed to capture my interest for this long. You have a lot of choice in this game, but it does discribe your perfect game. Although it is casual and turn based, might not what you meant, but doubt you find anything closer.

• kevin_123kevin_123 Member Posts: 52

So, attempting to make a textbased MMO and expecting it to be 'successfull' would be a total waste of time?

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

So, attempting to make a textbased MMO and expecting it to be 'successfull' would be a total waste of time?

Define what you would consider personal success in this sense.

• kevin_123kevin_123 Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by Jimmac

Couple hundred people online at all times, around 1000 at peak times, making at least a couple thousand $ a year..

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

scribblenauts

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by Jimmac

Couple hundred people online at all times, around 1000 at peak times, making at least a couple thousand $ a year..

Yeah... even in the days when Text Based games were big, those numbers were very hard to achieve. 

TDZK had an extremely dedicated fanbase and it maxed out at 400 online once. The most successful games were only pushing about 2,000. 

Not to mention, Text Based games are PHP and PHP is very server intensive, requiring a fairly expensive server. I know that TDZK received several thousand a month in donations and ads, and it shut down because they couldn't afford to keep the servers running any longer. 

Do flash or a well done java applet, run most of the stuff client side and you'll get away much cheaper.