Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yahoo Games ; Biggest flops of 2010

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

That list is horrible. Star Trek Online should be on there too. They put Iron Man 2 on it? Really? O.O

Must be another article from a console gamer.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

" FINAL FANTASY XIV -- It might be one of the strongest, most beloved names in gaming, but when Final Fantasy goes wrong, it goes really wrong. Online role-playing game Final Fantasy XIV was pretty much a disaster, getting slammed by critics for its bad interface, boring quests and broken mechanics. "

Ouch that's gotta hurt. 

Maybe next time they'll try making a game people want to play. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by elocke

That list is horrible. Star Trek Online should be on there too. They put Iron Man 2 on it? Really? O.O

FFXIV is even more disappointing then Star Trek online. So i am not surprised. SE makes Cryptic look like Picasso in comparison.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

Originally posted by Paradoxy

FFXIV is even more disappointing then Star Trek online. So i am not surprised. SE makes Cryptic look like Picasso in comparison.

No, my point is that STO should be on the list WITH FFXIV. I found both equally disappointing and complete flops this year. Much more so than some stupid game based on a movie, of which I have yet to see EVER a great game come.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

I would have to agree with the current state of the game being a flop, but if SE gets their act together and sticks with the planned patches & fixes, it could be in a much better state for PS3 release (which is what SE really wants).  Sadly enough the PC users are being used as beta testers, and was released when it was for obvious reasons (get PC box sales in before Cataclysm and other big name PC MMOs are released).

But, I wouldn't consider this blog an "official" statement that the game was a flop.  That article is from a user generated yahoo blog, which means it could be anyone that wrote it.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

No, my point is that STO should be on the list WITH FFXIV. I found both equally disappointing and complete flops this year. Much more so than some stupid game based on a movie, of which I have yet to see EVER a great game come.

Obviously, it's not an MMO-centric list.  FFXIV belongs there.  STO probably belongs there.

If they were to include only one MMO on the list, APB belongs there more than either, though.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

APB, Global Agenda (wasn't it launched in 2010?), and STO belong on there more than FFIV.  I'm still playing FFIV.  Once you get used to the UI, you can anticipate and make it work easy.  Plus it helps if you don't have the basic requirements.  Some of my friends have the basic GT8800 that's required.  Thier UI works alot worse than my GTX480.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

Dunno, a yahoo games blog isn't exactly a source worth listening to.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

I read the title of this thread and thought "yeah, that sounds about right".

Just to come in and find out they were talking about FFXIV. lol

(I saw it on Recent Posts)

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

*ahem*

• "It's Yahoo. Who really takes Yahoo seriously anymore?"

• "Is anyone surprised? This game sucks!"

• "Doesn't even sound like they played the game. It's not a bad game once you get used to it."

• "I agree with this list.

• "I disagree with this list"

The end.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I agree it belong on the list tooo (STO) but I don't think they said anything that wasn't true, especially if one is looking across all games universally (Iron Man2) was a pretty bad game.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• SelpharesSelphares Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

*ahem*

• "Doesn't even sound like they played the game. It's not a bad game once you get used to it."

The end.

I would agree that it kind of fits the discussion together. Not get me wrong but should that not be under the sticky with the reviews?

Edit:

Oh checked the link,  this is not even a review, aside of that Miles sort of sums the whole discussion up.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Originally posted by Selphares

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

*ahem*

The end.

I would agree that it kind of fits the discussion together. Not get me wrong but should that not be under the sticky with the reviews?

Definitely. I'm just saying this is what I expect this entire thread to become. Basically "I think the game is fine and everyone else is wrong." vs "I think this game isn't fine and if you can't see this you're a zealot."

Hoping I'm wrong, though.

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Originally posted by Gravarg

APB, Global Agenda (wasn't it launched in 2010?), and STO belong on there more than FFIV.  I'm still playing FFIV.  Once you get used to the UI, you can anticipate and make it work easy.  Plus it helps if you don't have the basic requirements.  Some of my friends have the basic GT8800 that's required.  Thier UI works alot worse than my GTX480.

If the server numbers released last month were any indication of population of FFXIV then GA is actually doing much better then FFXIV.  I also find GA to be an awesome game, with great UI, fun combat and an active community.  :shrug:

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521

How is it flop when everyone expected it to be terrible and Atari actually made a profit on this?

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Well APB was basically broken and up and died.

FFXIV technically worked, but it was a stretch to find anything to do in the game. Yeah there's crafting, but it sucked. Watching colors and moving gauges isn't interactive. It's dull and repeative.

It's a big flop because it has big expectations and basically they launched a sorta working beta build and charged people to play it. I think it's worse video game purchase I have ever made, and that's saying something.

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

The Riddick FPS games are actually pretty bad ass. Best melee in a game like that, probably ever. No one button instant elbows of death or anything. You actually controlled combos and could swipe the enemy's gun from their hands. It has it's problem (being mostly liner with some pacing problems) but probably the best movie tie in game made.

Unless we can count the classic X-Wing vs TIE Fighter.

• SelpharesSelphares Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Darkheart00

How is it flop when everyone expected it to be terrible and Atari actually made a profit on this?

Well I guess there are kind of seevral views if something is a flop I guess. For example someones personal opinions and expectations. On the other hand for example if somethings creates enough money for the one that produced it. THan I would they the general reputation a product create. I am sure all know as well one or two games that  were actually great by design and idea but not created enough money.  Or something seems to have a good base but needs further improvements.

Some of the points are objective arguments while the other ones depend on a personal view about things.

Anyway I still think this is something that is better  discussed in the reviews threads around here that are made for it.

Originally posted by theartist

The Riddick FPS games are actually pretty bad ass. Best melee in a game like that, probably ever. No one button instant elbows of death or anything. You actually controlled combos and could swipe the enemy's gun from their hands. It has it's problem (being mostly liner with some pacing problems) but probably the best movie tie in game made.

The Riddick games aren't movie to game adaptations the likes of Iron Man 2 or Transformers or Harry Potter, etc. They are spinoff games which are a different thing altogether.

A lot of times, these movie games come out as part of the marketing scheme for the movie. I almost wonder why they waste the money and developers on these games. I've never seen one garner great reviews or become game of the year.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

I agree.  Riddick games were massively underrated, even if they weren't rated that badly to begin with.  Good graphics, sound, atmosphere, and gameplay.  Can't really get much better of a movie tie in game than that. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• ShqipShqip Member Posts: 61

Well APB was basically broken and up and died.
    FFXIV technically worked, but it was a stretch to find anything to do in the game. Yeah there's crafting, but it sucked. Watching colors and moving gauges isn't interactive. It's dull and repeative.
    It's a big flop because it has big expectations and basically they launched a sorta working beta build and charged people to play it. I think it's worse video game purchase I have ever made, and that's saying something.

I agree and that's my opinion too, but I will give them a chance to fix it and complete it. Everytime I login the visuals amaze me and if they change UI/gameplay this game will rock like everyone thought.

P.S. most people bash all games released so far cause they're hyped about GW2 I'm actually not even going to test that game. Tried GW and couldn't play longer then 1 hour, and Ffxiv at least I played 2 weeks before I said enough. I don't even compare any Korean mmorpg with ffxiv, no matter how much ffxiv sucks atm Korean mmorpg to me are way worst.

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521

Originally posted by Selphares

Originally posted by Darkheart00

Well I guess there are kind of seevral views if something is a flop I guess. For example someones personal opinions and expectations. On the other hand for example if somethings creates enough money for the one that produced it. THan I would they the general reputation a product create. I am sure all know as well one or two games that  were actually great by design and idea but not created enough money.  Or something seems to have a good base but needs further improvements.

Some of the points are objective arguments while the other ones depend on a personal view about things.

Anyway I still think this is something that is better  discussed in the reviews threads around here that are made for it.

Definition is a flop is a heavily hyped/expensive product that does not live up to expectation,  STO was a cheap MMO cranked out by Cryptic which is rather small devoloper. After CO which was heavily criticized no one expected STO to be critically acclaimed. So i do not know how anyone can call STO a flop when seriously no one expected to even survive for a year, the only suprise is that it sold 300k and still has active playerbase of around 50k (Ironically FFXIV barely has more players than STO).

In other hand FFXIV was devoloped by SE one of the largest game devolopers and final fantasy is the biggest game franchise out there and has recieved very good reviews. The game itself is supposedly the most expensive MMO devoloped to date (KOTOR will shatter that). So when it is ciritically hammered and has a active player base barely over 100k a month after release, company stock has fallen and CEO is apologizing (won't be suprised if he is fired which is rather rare in Japan). Know that is a Flop.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by Rohn

Obviously, it's not an MMO-centric list.  FFXIV belongs there.  STO probably belongs there.

If they were to include only one MMO on the list, APB belongs there more than either, though.

Was STO a 2010 launch, or was it late 2009?

• TemeritTemerit Member Posts: 27

Check what they said about Alan Wake. 

This list has nothing to do with quality of a game, just how well it was received. Which, honestly, means nothing. 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Emeraq

Originally posted by Rohn

Was STO a 2010 launch, or was it late 2009?

STO launched in Feb of 2010.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

This discussion has been closed.