Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is a Serenity/Firefly game?

Man that IP didnt get the luving it deserved.

A MMO based on it would be a great way for either the much vaunted sandbox system that is clamored for here, or for an open world(s) themepark. Either could use space as a flight sim with PVP in contested sectors. You have Alliance vs the Browncoats, and Reavers besides. A whole criminal element for a 4th faction to top it off.

Hey Devs....yes this means YOU. Get this game done. If not, then give us a good SPG based on the IP. I bet the original cast would do VO rather cheap as a thank you to the fans ala their contributions to get Serenity made. You can tell them I said so. Hah!!!

Sorry.....juet feeling nostalgic today. Back to your original programming.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Comments

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Chirp says the cricket?

Nobody else enjoyed the IP around here? I know Firefly 2003 did.

Anyways for those of you clamoring for a sandbox, this is a tailor-made IP for ya.

If you have no clue about it, I suggest you check the series out. Was some good Sci Fi.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I was deployed for the original airring but have since then LOVED the DVD.. many times.  Wore my brown coat to the movie release.  Yea.. I'm one of them.    Loved it.  I think that Joss should DEFINITELY continue to series... did the movie not make enough!??! I thought it did.

This universe would be AWESOME ... 3 factions ... full on warfare ... BAM

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

The Firefly game has been put on the backburner while the studio moves forward with a Buffy the Vampire Slayer mmo...  sounds like i'm joking, but i'm not.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

The universe is pretty solid, but the real reason the series/movie were awesome was the script and characters tbh.  Thus far MMOs have come nowhere near portraying that level of storyline.  Even a singleplayer game would have a very hard time pulling off what makes Firefly awesome.

That said, the cult following are certainly willing to overlook a lot simply to participate in the same universe as the characters they liked.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by mmogawd

The Firefly game has been put on the backburner while the studio moves forward with a Buffy the Vampire Slayer mmo...  sounds like i'm joking, but i'm not.

I know you're not joking image

Here's the press release about it> http://www.multiverse.net/press/pr20080902buffy.jsp?cid=6&scid=9

Almost at the end of the pr we can read > In related news, Fox's plans for the development of the previously announced Firefly MMOG have been delayed, but Fox looks forward to continuing its collaboration with Multiverse on this endeavor.

Unfortunaly that was news from September 3, 2008

Also the anouncement of the Firefly MMO was back in 2006 http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/08/0358216 image

• SpasticolonSpasticolon Member Posts: 178

I know I clicked this link with trepidation, knowing that it would bring back sad feelings, and it did, but godamnit if Firefly isnt one of my favourite Series. Sad how it got treated, but im happy that there was some conclusion with the films, however a few extra series to flesh out the world some more, and give it the treatment it deserved.

As an MMO im unsure how it would play out, will your PC be a privateer? Or just a normal guy trying to make a living. Would it be set before the War, after the war but before the exposition in the Film, or after those events? Align yourself with the Alliance for extra cushy jobs and security, or work the outer planets for high profit/high risk work within range of Reavers. I dont so much see Faction based in this, and Reavers should just be Reavers, NPC mental looney tunes who will Strip your Flesh, Rape you, then Kill you, but not always in that order, I see it more as a factionless game, where you gain and lose rep with towns/planets by your previous actions and who you work for.

Damn, im going to have to get the series again.

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

I liked the series, the movie was ok, but the mmo they announced didnt get me to excited. I think it could be good, but if the dev of the Firefly mmo decided to go ahead with a Buffy the Vampire slayer mmo first...Well, to be honest, i dont expect good things. From either.

Sad really.....

If a good developer picked up the IP i might gain some intrest.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

3 factions -  the feds, the resistance, and the lawless. Have a new resistance break out on the outer planets due to poverty etc. have alignment between fed - lawless fluid but difficult to change.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by astoria

3 factions

This type of thinking is why I'm glad there isn't a Firefly MMO. 

Firefly was about freedom. Drifters taking any job they came across to survive and prosper in a harsh universe. Not about factions, like WoW or SWTOR. 

Originally posted by TheHatter

3 factions

Firefly was about freedom. Drifters taking any job they came across to survive and prosper in a harsh universe. Not about factions, like WoW or SWTOR. 

No factions like Fallenearth or Eve. Like I said, but you quoted me out of context.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

3 factions

No factions like Fallenearth or Eve. Like I said, but you quoted me out of context.

lol sorry. I literally read "3 Factions" and stopped reading. 

Even if your version would be good, it's still the reason I'm glad there isn't one. Most people still think like that. 

3 factions

lol sorry. I literally read "3 Factions" and stopped reading. 

Even if your version would be good, it's still the reason I'm glad there isn't one. Most people still think like that. 

You might be right about that. It has worked out much less dynamically in FE than EVE, in large part to player choices rather than game mechanics.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

3 factions

See I counted at least 4 factions in OP....

Alliance

Browncoats

Reavers

Undergound/criminal

You could also have planetary factions.

If a company put 100M into this game, it could be golden.

I was in the group that had no clue about the IP until well after Serenity had already been at theatre. I discovered the movie on HBO, then went on to buy it and the series.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

The same place the show went. Now if that were still on air and popular you bet your ass there would be a game.

Originally posted by Moaky07

3 factions

Alliance

Browncoats

Reavers

Undergound/criminal

I was in the group that had no clue about the IP until well after Serenity had already been at theatre. I discovered the movie on HBO, then went on to buy it and the series.

Reavers are mindless, they would have to be NPC. 

They are basically zombies, with enough function to use tools. 

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by Moaky07

3 factions

Alliance

Browncoats

Reavers

Undergound/criminal

And fly ships.  Have you met many mmorpg players?  They'd make perfect reavers.

Originally posted by mmogawd

And fly ships.  Have you met many mmorpg players?  They'd make perfect reavers.

lmfao