Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game worth getting into?

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

Hi, the last time I tried playing Everquest 2 the graphics were really messed up like they would only appear best quality when your nearest to the characters. One of the problems I had was that even though I have the recommended hardware but the OS I used to use was a 32 bit version of Vista and it turns out that my machine is 64 bit compatible. So then I decided to upgrade into Windows 7, used a game compatiblity checker and now it shows to be all good and clear.

Now I like to ask, Is this game worth gettign into? How different community wise is it from WoW? Do newer players still play?

Other questions I like to ask is what's the best way to configure the graphics so that it runs well while still maintaining quality? How do I get the latest expansion? By the way, I don't own a copy of this game anymore, I figure I have to buy the digital download that has latest expansion as well. =p

Comments

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

Hi, the last time I tried playing Everquest 2 the graphics were really messed up like they would only appear best quality when your nearest to the characters. One of the problems I had was that even though I have the recommended hardware but the OS I used to use was a 32 bit version of Vista and it turns out that my machine is 64 bit compatible. So then I decided to upgrade into Windows 7, used a game compatiblity checker and now it shows to be all good and clear.

Now I like to ask, Is this game worth gettign into? How different community wise is it from WoW? Do newer players still play?

Other questions I like to ask is what's the best way to configure the graphics so that it runs well while still maintaining quality? How do I get the latest expansion? By the way, I don't own a copy of this game anymore, I figure I have to buy the digital download that has latest expansion as well. =p

People who like the game and play it will say yes those who don't will say no, I say boot up EQ2X and find out for yourself if you plan on actually subbing to the game.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

How do I get the latest expansion? By the way, I don't own a copy of this game anymore, I figure I have to buy the digital download that has latest expansion as well. =p

dont need the latest expansion until you want to level beyond 80

all players starting on the Extended Server have access to all under 80 content -- without buying anything

http://everquest2.com/free_to_play

if you rather play on the regular servers, older accts probably have access to all Kunark content and prior

(from the Living Legacy promotion 2 years ago)

http://www.massively.com/2008/06/02/soes-living-legacy-campaign-gives-you-2-free-months-in-eq-and-e/

• ShienShien Member Posts: 26

I asked the same question 6 months ago and now I'm still enjoying this game and still think EQII had the most complete content out of all the games on the market.

This game had been out for awhile and it does take little bit longer to getting pass the learning / re-learning curve, but once you get pass that, you'll find yourself immerse in huge amount of content and never lack things to do.  For a new player that doesn't have existing tide picking the right server is very important, I would suggest Antonia Bayle, or you could wait till nov 16 after the server merge and pick the most populated server. 

To me it's not about the existing community per say but the people you befriend with along the way and establish your own present, your own community, but over all EQ2 community it's pretty mature compare to other games. 

Since this game had been out for so long and pretty much majority of the population had already established muliple toons etc,  It's little bit tough to play EQ2 fresh because lack of low tier groups,  so it's very important for new comer to join a guild asap and learn the rope and hopefully tag along with veterans or new comer to ease some of the learning curve.

I would rather get the retail copy than download this monstrous of game, prices are about the same, maybe some retail store are even selling it lower than digital downloads, plus you get the hard copy in case your want to load it onto your other computers or reinstall the game....

• lancelot76lancelot76 Member Posts: 119

EQ2 is huge. Like others here, I would say maybe test it on the EQ2 extended server first, at least for the first few levels.

Having said that, there are @ least 3 titles launching next year that most likely will surpass EQ2 in both design and content. If you can wait, I would argue that you might want to see if you like Rift, GW2 or even SWTOR next year. Just food for thought.

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Then EQNext will come out a year after them!!

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

Well I've ordered a fresh copy of the game this time with every expansion and I'm going to just enjoy myself with with the game, female Iksars are cute, anthropomorphism at it's best. image

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Since it's free I just treat it like a big single player RPG.  I don't have any expectations about raiding and the high end crap but there's still a ton of places to explore and your own house to fill with loot.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• LiralLiral Member Posts: 5

I  try new games all the time and the one constant is EQ2. Nothing else keeps my attention at all. It' a very deep game that is well worth playing. Between it's guild halls, housing, live events, tons of quests, etc.. etc.. nothing keeps my attention like this game.

Some essential links.

These have prety much all the info you could ask for on quests, races, classes, etc etc..

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://eq2.zam.com/

This site allows you to get essential addons like EQ2 maps (get the autoupdate version) and custom UI's and othertr mods.

http://www.eq2interface.com/

The definitive place for learning about tradeskills and harvesting.

http://eq2.eqtraders.com/

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Liral is exactly right. This game is very much worth giving a try. It has an enormous amount of depth in terms of both content and game features. It is a very quest oriented so if you are used to something like wow that emphaizes solo questing for leveling then you will feel right at home. The lore is very strong. The world is huge. And features like housing, separate tradeskill leveling and alternate advancement will give you the feeling that the game could be played forever. If your are bored with what you are playing and are simply looking for a new world to explore then Norrath would be a very good choice.

The community is very good, very friendly and helpful, probably because it is a smaller playerbase and so those who play tend to be very loyal to their game and love the opportunity to "spread the faith". The guild interface makes finding a guild to join incredibly easy.

The down side is that it is a mature game and so the leveling experience will lean more toward solo questing rather than grouping for instances. The upside however, is that if you get into a good guild, the mentoring feature will allow people to mentor down to your level so they can help you run group content without killing your exp. Leveling is fairly quick, similar to wow or lotro in pace, unless you are  a completionist and you want to do all the content on one character, because there is A LOT of content.

I am not going to recommend, however, that you try the free version of the game. The pricing structure is very disappointing. If you end up loving the game and want to go for the full deal you will end up paying a monthly fee to play an essentially free2play game. What makes EQ2X  different from live, is the cash shop items. They have much more effect on the game. do you want to PAY to play a free2play game just because you want to play the full game? You cannot transfer your character over to the live game so if you want to play on more balanced servers with a more limited cash shop (mostly fluff items) and get a better deal for it in not having to sub a year at a time as well as getting veteran rewards based on your tenure, then go ahead and sign up for the real thing. I don't know if you can get a 14 day trial anymore. PM with your email address if you would like a friend-referral. At the worst, you can spend $19.95 online or at a store for the former expansion of the game. This will give you 30days of play and all but the last 10 levels of the game.

All die, so die well.

• bandontcarebandontcare Member Posts: 72

Originally posted by VikingGamer

Liral is exactly right. This game is very much worth giving a try. It has an enormous amount of depth in terms of both content and game features. It is a very quest oriented so if you are used to something like wow that emphaizes solo questing for leveling then you will feel right at home. The lore is very strong. The world is huge. And features like housing, separate tradeskill leveling and alternate advancement will give you the feeling that the game could be played forever. If your are bored with what you are playing and are simply looking for a new world to explore then Norrath would be a very good choice.

The community is very good, very friendly and helpful, probably because it is a smaller playerbase and so those who play tend to be very loyal to their game and love the opportunity to "spread the faith". The guild interface makes finding a guild to join incredibly easy.

The down side is that it is a mature game and so the leveling experience will lean more toward solo questing rather than grouping for instances. The upside however, is that if you get into a good guild, the mentoring feature will allow people to mentor down to your level so they can help you run group content without killing your exp. Leveling is fairly quick, similar to wow or lotro in pace, unless you are  a completionist and you want to do all the content on one character, because there is A LOT of content.

I am not going to recommend, however, that you try the free version of the game. The pricing structure is very disappointing. If you end up loving the game and want to go for the full deal you will end up paying a monthly fee to play an essentially free2play game. What makes EQ2X  different from live, is the cash shop items. They have much more effect on the game. do you want to PAY to play a free2play game just because you want to play the full game? You cannot transfer your character over to the live game so if you want to play on more balanced servers with a more limited cash shop (mostly fluff items) and get a better deal for it in not having to sub a year at a time as well as getting veteran rewards based on your tenure, then go ahead and sign up for the real thing. I don't know if you can get a 14 day trial anymore. PM with your email address if you would like a friend-referral. At the worst, you can spend $19.95 online or at a store for the former expansion of the game. This will give you 30days of play and all but the last 10 levels of the game.

Pretty much this. Just want to add that Sentinel's Fate can be bought for $10-20 (it's $8.99 on amazon!) and this gives access to all the xpacs in the game. Don't buy Shadow's Oddysey especially if it's $20 as the above poster said.

The EQ2X bit is debatable. Veteran players will tell you to go to their servers, extended players would recommend EQ2X ( makes sense of course). I would say if you want to raid, go to the lives servers. If you wanna level up and explore the world but don't care that much about raiding, live servers are the worse option. Pick Extended! You will have lots of players to group wtih throughout the content and you don't have to pay a sub. A sub on extended doesn't give you all 19 races and veteran rewards. If you are not big on races, then you wouldn't see any difference between gold and live servers. The veteran rewards are for hardcore players. The first decent reward is at 1 year+ and maybe more. So you will spend A LOT of money on subs. To qualify for 1 year vet reward you need to have paid 12 months worth of sub. You do the math if you want them.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

You actually don't have to have paid 12 months of subs for the rewards. I made an account over a year and a half ago, only tried the trial. Fast forward to last week, I decided to buy the 20$ expansion and give the game a try for 30 days... wow look at all my veteran rewards for being so loyal haha. It was a nice surprise, but that doesn't really help those who are trying it for the first time.

If you have ever played EQ2, even just the trial, make sure to use that account... tons of goodies await ;)

The server you choose really makes a huge difference. I almost quit last week when I joined Oasis. It was empty at lower levels. I decided to try AB and holy crap, I am almost constantly surrounded by 3-4 players in any given area (low level anyhow). I will definitely be sticking with it for 30 days... so far it's fun. I am waiting on Rift :P

• bandontcarebandontcare Member Posts: 72

Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

You actually don't have to have paid 12 months of subs for the rewards. I made an account over a year and a half ago, only tried the trial. Fast forward to last week, I decided to buy the 20$ expansion and give the game a try for 30 days... wow look at all my veteran rewards for being so loyal haha. It was a nice surprise, but that doesn't really help those who are trying it for the first time.

If you have ever played EQ2, even just the trial, make sure to use that account... tons of goodies await ;)

The server you choose really makes a huge difference. I almost quit last week when I joined Oasis. It was empty at lower levels. I decided to try AB and holy crap, I am almost constantly surrounded by 3-4 players in any given area (low level anyhow). I will definitely be sticking with it for 30 days... so far it's fun. I am waiting on Rift :P

These are rewards you get for purchasing the games up till Rise of Kunark (which was a promo where all trials who subscribed got everything until RoK). They are not veteran rewards. Everybody get these, even people on Extended.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Originally posted by bandontcare

These are rewards you get for purchasing the games up till Rise of Kunark (which was a promo where all trials who subscribed got everything until RoK). They are not veteran rewards. Everybody get these, even people on Extended.

image  Hey he was all excited thinking he got one over on the Man.   Dont be a Debbie downer.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

Even the ones like "Veteran - 1 year" I can't remember what is in the vet ones, but I know I have them.

Those are different from the Expansion ones are they not? If I look at my account status it even says like 490 days active or something like that, even though I only tried the trial last year, never subbed, then bought the game and added the serial to the latest expansion.

I don't think I am sticking it to the man lol but when it says literally "Veteran reward - 1 year" that means they think I've subbed for a year or at least been around a year... right?

I even have the title "The Loyal" -- please tell me you guys are joking cause that sounds like a vet reward lol. 

Googled around and found this:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=456139

So yes, according to that post you'd need to be subbed to get credit for your vet rewards, but maybe their system is currently jacked lol. As I have all up to that pirate flag one and I sure as hell didn't sub for a year lol. I literally have paid for 1 month, which was this month and thats it.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Even the ones like "Veteran - 1 year" I can't remember what is in the vet ones, but I know I have them.

Those are different from the Expansion ones are they not? If I look at my account status it even says like 490 days active or something like that, even though I only tried the trial last year, never subbed, then bought the game and added the serial to the latest expansion.

I don't think I am sticking it to the man lol but when it says literally "Veteran reward - 1 year" that means they think I've subbed for a year or at least been around a year... right?

I even have the title "The Loyal" -- please tell me you guys are joking cause that sounds like a vet reward lol. 

Googled around and found this:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=456139

So yes, according to that post you'd need to be subbed to get credit for your vet rewards, but maybe their system is currently jacked lol. As I have all up to that pirate flag one and I sure as hell didn't sub for a year lol. I literally have paid for 1 month, which was this month and thats it.

SOE vet reward system has been fixed recently, but yes if I created an account and a toon back when the game was launched I would get the vet rewards even though I havnt payed or played since then.   Gotta love SOE coders.   It is fixed so only payed time counts towards vet time.   Me I have toons from 2007 I think and have only payed and played for 3 months, but I do have three years of vet time.