Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest MMO game world.

From what I have heard and read EVE has by far and Large the biggest game world out there, but there are a few others I am curious about. How much could I discover in the folowing games if I played for 3-5 hours a day? 

1: Fallen Earth

2: Age of Conan

2: WAR (If anybody could PLEASE send me a link showing me where I can find this game online I would appreciate it. Is it an acronym?)

4:  Aion

5: DarkFall

If you have any firsthand experience with any of these games please let me know and consider the added size due to expansions and patches. Also somebody PLEASE POST A LINK FOR WAR!

Comments

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

http://www.warhammeronline.com/

Warhammer is pretty small.

Darkfall is probably the biggest, but kind of empty.

You could easily traverse from the furthest south to the furthest north in all the games in less than 3-5 hours (never played aion though)

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

You couldn't traverse from the furthest south to the furthest north in 3 to 5 hours in darkfall.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

No, cuz you'd get ganked first =P

---

Agon's map says it is 32km x 32km which is 1024 sq km

It takes about 5 minutes to walk (not sprint) 1 kilometer in darkfall. 3.2 minutes to ride same distance.

Total travel time across agon in a straight line would be 160 min or 2.7 hours.

If you divide 32 by 2.7 you get about 12km per hour traveling speed.

The average person can walk about 6km per hour. That means the map is probably scaled.

So realistically the darkfall world is only half the size it claims to be. About 16km X 16km which is 256 sq km.

If you convert that to miles, its about 10mi x 10mi or 100 square miles

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• XiroXiro Member UncommonPosts: 118

darkfall prolly has the biggest next to eve ;P though fallen earth is pretty big too i think.. not sure about AoC 

• jakebaker13jakebaker13 Member Posts: 55

Okay Darkfall has the biggest, but which one has the most locations/dungeons to uncover?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Swg is the biggest. Each planet is about the size of darkfall and there are about 9 planets/moons to explore plus the space you can fly through above each planet/moon puts it easily larger than anything out there.

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

What about Telon from Vanguard?

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by terroni

No, cuz you'd get ganked first =P

---

Agon's map says it is 32km x 32km which is 1024 sq km

It takes about 5 minutes to walk (not sprint) 1 kilometer in darkfall. 3.2 minutes to ride same distance.

Total travel time across agon in a straight line would be 160 min or 2.7 hours.

If you divide 32 by 2.7 you get about 12km per hour traveling speed.

The average person can walk about 6km per hour. That means the map is probably scaled.

So realistically the darkfall world is only half the size it claims to be. About 16km X 16km which is 256 sq km.

If you convert that to miles, its about 10mi x 10mi or 100 square miles

That's pretty damn big, for Darkfall.

To compare: travel time in a straight line from WoW Kalimdor's north coast to south coast is calculated something about 45-50 min, same amount of time it would take to cross LotrO in a straight line as a bird flies from west end to Rivendell.

If you talk about big worlds, I think Fark & Light (now closed), Vanguard and SWG have the biggest ones.

In SWG each planet was said to work on a 6x6 miles grid, roughly as long as a WoW main continent is but then 3 times as wide.

Those other MMORPG's in the OP, they're pretty small in size. If you play 3-5 hrs a day you can discover most of its content and dungeons. Although the level grind in Aion will probably prevent you from reaching the endgame dungeons too soon.

edit: I can't say for Fallen Earth though, no experience with that one.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• aaradunaaradun Member Posts: 91

Biggest Game World, Asheron Call and Anarchy Online then maybe Fallen Earth.

Ages of Conan is not that big really. EQ1, EQ2, DAOC, WoW and a lot other games are wayyyyyyyyyyy bigger then AoC

• saddragon69saddragon69 Member Posts: 81

here is a litle help on some game worlds

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

True game world size is measured in "hours of travel squared", which is of course pretty damn hard to measure.  Still, EVE has copious amounts of empty space (it's space!) and likely wins even without that empty space just for the sheer amount of travel time involved in the game (which shouldn't necessarily be viewed as a good thing.  Travel time beyond what's necessary is a waste of players' time basically.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

After googling around it seems that dark and light had the largest landmass of any mmorpg. Next comes ac,vanguard,swg,and eq with all its expansions.

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

I don't even want to think about how long it would take me to visit every place in Everquest 1...it was a big world at launch and then they tacked on more and more continents.  a moon a few dozen planes of existanst..then they went underground, even better you can see a few of these zones in a different time.  It's litterally MASSIVE

• jakebaker13jakebaker13 Member Posts: 55

Any of you guys have firsthand knowledge of Fallen Earth's size and town/ dungeon count as compared to oblivion? just a guess would suffice.

• CostaniusCostanius Member UncommonPosts: 231

-World War II Online Battleground Europe: one seamless virtual world of Western Europe and Uk in scale 1:2 with 500 cities.

Walk, drive or fly in 1/2 realtime from the french atlantic coast across the continent to Germany.

-IVAO massive mutliplayer online flying network for FS2004 and FSX using the world of flight simulator 1:1 scale. Fly and land anywhere in that world.

-----------------------------------
    Life is too short to play bad games.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Thank you, SadDragon! I saw that image a while ago and have been tryingto find it again for a month now. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Lineage 2 has very big world with a lot points of interest. Check L2's map on google and see for yourself =]

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Its WW 2 omline @ half scale of Euorpe its the largest online world ......................period.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Foomerang

After googling around it seems that dark and light had the largest landmass of any mmorpg. Next comes ac,vanguard,swg,and eq with all its expansions.

Yeah, Vanguard is very big.

I have to plan  my play time accordingly as I might not have enough time to do what I want given the size of the world.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

I don't think you can count overly instanced games like AoC, that are just a series of hubs. Same with WAR.

The biggest in terms of real estate is between 

Vanguard

Darkfall

and Dark and Light. 

• MordeathMordeath Member Posts: 131

Who cares how big it is if you cant find anyone or anything to do?

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

How do you compare ground-based km to space-based lightyears?  What exactly is the metric for size?

Originally posted by maplestone

How do you compare ground-based km to space-based lightyears?  What exactly is the metric for size?

Eve is not a persistant world, the world kind of generates itself around the players. There's no fixed "space" 

Originally posted by Mordeath

Who cares how big it is if you cant find anyone or anything to do?

How is that relevant? There's TONS to do in Vanguard and Darkfall, far more than most games. 

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Originally posted by jakebaker13

From what I have heard and read EVE has by far and Large the biggest game world out there, but there are a few others I am curious about. How much could I discover in the folowing games if I played for 3-5 hours a day? 

1: Fallen Earth

2: Age of Conan

2: WAR (If anybody could PLEASE send me a link showing me where I can find this game online I would appreciate it. Is it an acronym?)

4:  Aion

5: DarkFall

If you have any firsthand experience with any of these games please let me know and consider the added size due to expansions and patches. Also somebody PLEASE POST A LINK FOR WAR!

Iam just playing currently Battleground Europe since iam bored and disappointed of the fantasy genre in the last months, btw they have removed their credit card requirement  so its f2p unlimited ....yaaih, I have to say this is probably the biggest mmorpg ever made. If you follow the wiki: WWIIOL online uses a ½ scale map of Western Europe with 30,000 km2 (11,583 sq mi)...so around 250x250km ingame ! lol. Not sure if you could just cross the game world in 3-4 days, if you would just walk.

Eve online is for sure a very big game world and i did enjoy it for a while, dont know about Fallen Earth..never played this.