Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Single player RPG's vs. MMORPG's poll

HolySaint333HolySaint333 Member UncommonPosts: 24

Would you guys/girls like to see more single player RPG's that are good or MMORPG's that are good? Remember, games like Chrono Trigger are still played on DS and are loved.

If you ask my opinion I'd have to wait for my turn! :)

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

I'd like a new good one of both, but voted for SPRPG. I doubt we will get an MMO an time soon with the same feel any of the classic RPGs gave.

On a related note. Anyone know of any current gen turn based RPGs other than Lost Odyessey?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

No contest.

MMOs are around ten years behind single player Rpgs in gameplay and now with online services and strong co-op play MMORPGs are even starting to lose the advantage of community that they used to have.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I voted MMORPGs because I would like to see more good ones. However, as far as which has more value and replayability (what goes further), I'm going to have to go with single player RPGs because the changes are optional. In an MMORPG, if the current developers decide to change something about the game that you like, you have no recourse. In a single player game, you can use mods or refuse patches and DLC if you wanted to.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Single player RPGs are the past. MMOs are the future. We need just quality ones

• mmogamer1mmogamer1 Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Single player RPGs are the past. MMOs are the future. We need just quality ones

I agree...even I voted for MMORPG ..... obviously good MMORPGs. Multiplayer RPG Games are special! Unlike single player games the link that’s formed between the player and the game becomes so strong that after a while the former will be inclined to turn a blind eye towards the latter’s flaws and to defend it against any kind of criticism.

Check out exciting online MMORPG games and their reviews, single player game lovers might start liking multiplayer RPGs more.....

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

I'd voted rpg, just because I haven't had any mmo as good as a couple of the older rpgs.  I'd kill for a great Star Ocean MMO though. the fantasy/scifi mix and various races appeal to my tastes almost exactly. Even if the last star ocean felt a bit run of the mill. realeasing with just two worlds out of the dozen in the games would be a great start release.

• lhsmithlhsmith Member Posts: 3

i like MMo better coz its more realistic than single player games.

enjoy MMORPG:)

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Why no option for both, I don't have a personal stake either way I loved my first mmorpg experience in SWG but I also loved old games like the FF series (before the Squaresoft and Enix merger),Phantasy Star, Baldurs Gate etc..

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

I voted MMO, because if an MMO is a good RPG it can recreate an entire world, a living breathing world, and that goes alot deeper than any single player game full of npc's filled with predertemined actions and speach lines.

The problem nowadays is that good MMORPG's ceased to exist, and games like Anarchy Online or DaOC gave place to "action" games like WoW or Aion, where the gear is important and not the world, the people, the comrades we meet and customization of our own character on that world.

We are living dark days on this genre

PS: Most people who vote single player think MMORPG is WoW and the likes, if this were to be true, I would also vote SP

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Voted MMO because,  ultimately I want more sandboxy open world games. Obviously you can make single player sandboxes, but i don't care about a sandbox where I can't knock down or steal someone else's castle.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• GithernGithern Member Posts: 79

I voted for single player. I love the looks and gameplay of modern single players like Fallout 3 (dated), ME2, and DAO. MMOs are wonderful, don't get me wrong. But having to wash yourself in player comments like "OMG I pwned him, lol." and other such trash I just have to say that single player will always win out because of that garbage. MMO's have a long way to go before they are good or even close to a single player rpg. I will say that I also like instanced RPGs and wish you had added that as an option. RPGs like Guild Wars, Diablo 1-3, NWN 1-2. Technically though they count as single player but many players played them online exclusively (except guildwars which isn't quite an MMO but isn't quite single either).

• ReadOneReadOne Member Posts: 4

MMORPG image simple because its fun, hilarious and etc.etc image

• ExploriumExplorium Member Posts: 395

MMORPGs are light years behind singleplayer RPGs, and even have devolved. 

Games like Ultima Online and Asheron's Call were amazing...especially UO. Horizons (now Istaria) was amazing. Anarchy Online was amazing. SWG was among the best MMOs. Tabula Rasa/Auto Assault were tons of fun till NCsoft canned them. Especially AA, I loved that.

Todays MMOs have devolved from oldschool MMOs.

Two exceptions being Vanguard Saga of Heroes...HUGE open world, amazing crafting, great community (rare in this age of MMOs)...but its dead in the waters. And waves are slowly sinking it to the great ocean beyond. Only good modern MMO out. If only SOE paid more attention to it. And EVE Online, even though I'm not big into EVE, its still an amazing MMO compared to a lot of other modern MMOs.

Singleplayer RPGs are where its at now. I'm having way more fun in Oblivion (and Nehrim Total Conversion mod), Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Red Dead Redemption (too bad its console only)...even other genres or types of games, Anno 1709 Dawn of Discovery...Dirt 2 (and soon to be Need for Speed Hot Pursuit when its out in a few days)...DWARF FORTRESS (amazing game)...Fable the Lost Chapters...Divinity 2 (where you can be a dragon)...Dragon Age Origins. X3 Terran Conflict...So many more...

And well, as you can see in my quote below my name...Minecraft is better than most MMOs, and it was made by one man.

Check out my nature/animal/relaxing music channel on Youtube!

My game channel on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/vendayn

• penguin33penguin33 Member Posts: 7

I voted for single player RPG's because it seems that MMO's are way behind RPG's in content and an immersive story line. I've always found that what is considered a good MMO is focused more on how nice the graphics look and other visual things like that. RPG's are usually focused on having great amounts of content that is enjoyable and also having a good story line to back it up. So I go RPG all the way.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

MMORPGs even though there has been a trough of good titles lately, players breath life into the game world eg faction PvP makes the forests and hills festering with the "enemy" : D

• TahamtanTahamtan Member Posts: 232

I go with MMORPGs over RPGs mainly bacause there is more variety in MMORPG World over RPG World and for the same reason there were more MMO titles I liked compared to Role-Playing.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Ok MMO offcourse , you cannot in a roleplaying thread discuss whats beter ,

Singleplayer RPG is like for roleplayers , FUN but scripted FUN , it has a outcome you can predict .

Good MMORPGS when people roleplay , has no set outcome , yes you can try to push your way there .

But thats boring like hell , its going with the flow , not knowing what to do , what to write .

What to respond and improvise , that sets MMORPG on a higher level in roleplay .

This is like argueing , PVE is best action PVP players want .

Honestly While i understand OP question , people want games like SWTOR , City of Heroes going rogue .

Where you make the choices yourself and it affects the outcome like in Singleplayer Games .

This is whats lacking , the choices you make has no consequences , people dont want to fail or even make choices anymore.

Failing they feel dumb , what happens with choices in life ?

There is a saying , the more you did wrong the more you learned , the more you did right in life , the more arrogant you become.

Both are real life lessons neither is wrong or right .

Sorry i want choices in a MMORPGS , but unlike Singleplayer , you cannot quicksave and reload .

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

RPGs (single-player) can be good, but when the story is over, the world is ended. At least with an MMORPG, you can finish a story (may not be as neat as single-player) but at least the world carries on, imo.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

After playing MMOs single player games just feel too empty and dead.

This is not a game.

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

I voted for single player RPG.

I'm sick & tired of playing quests grinders with a bunch of ADHD FPS'ers & RTS'ers that don't know any other way to play a game but to race to the top so that they can mesure their e-peen on the scoreboard. They've wildly infiltrated the genre since WoW came about, as its now a "in" thing, & completly destroyed what was there in the process because, now, the devs only dream about the money that that hoard represent.

Man, I can't wait til they finaly make a CoD( or whatever these guys like) MMOFPS so we can finaly go back to the good old full blown RPG with depth & community building as its main attributes.

• kirbytsekirbytse Member UncommonPosts: 9

Really depends on my mood. Sometimes I don't want to put up with m***er f***ers online and just want to crash with a good RPG like Golden Sun. Most of the time I prefer some form of human contact in my sad little world I call a life.

• QuasiRainQuasiRain Member Posts: 125

Both, but I did vote for MMORPG.

I'd love to play good RPGs since they usually have excellent storylines and gameplay. For MMORPGs, it's for the social thing and the bragging rights. Not only that, MMORPGs have a (though I don't know if it should be called this) "replayability" factor, or something that makes you want to stick around more. RPGs usually have a definite (and very satisfying) end to the story, as well as sidequests.

Anyway, both are good. ^_^

<TBA>

• The_UnholyThe_Unholy Member Posts: 9

I picked mmorpg only because i tend to get a little bit bored playing single player games for long periods of time. Although I am starting to turn to sing player rpgs because most of the online ones are starting to get a bit old.

Make 150-200$ a month with real online surveys at-homejobs.org

• dale25phdale25ph Member Posts: 24

I vote mmorpg because with this you can guage your rpg abilities with other players. How well you design and uplift your characters with other the feeling of competitions not just in finishing the quest but also in character customizations and built. Unlike in single rpg there is also character customization and built but there is no comparison and competition to talk about as long you finished your quest with your character build up is good as ever. Also there are lots of people to mingle with in mmorpg as we all say if a game have lots of player within the game is alive...

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I could not decide. I love both options. So I went for toilet paper. I am very sorry o.p but you can not give me that kind of window.