Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maybe it's time for MMORPG.com to become multiple sites.

Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Premise: MMO =/= RPG

This site covers MMORPGs, but it lists many games that are not RPGs in nature. Likewise, there are more and more games that are MMO, but not RPGs. I think it's time for this site to go the way of Planet(insert -genre).com. Rather than having the pissing and moaning about what does and doesn't belong here, as well as the endless arguments over what constitues "Massive," the site needs to have sister sites devoted to MMOs of other genres. Given, there's alread MassiveFPS and MMORTS.com, but these sites don't have the polish, budget, or cred that this particular site has. Hell, you can just take the CSS from this site and rework it for whatever other genre you like. At the very least, you could put sections for other genres on this site so that we can acknowledge that MMO is more than just RPGs.

Who knows, some of the people on this site may learn a thing or to about  what the players of other genres are really looking for in an MMO. Sure it's all about grind and character progression for RPG fanatics, but not so much for FPS, RTS and brawler fans. By giving us multiple sites under the same umbrella, you allow people the choice of news and discussion that is catered to their preferred genre. As it is, you have people like me that want to know about MMOFPS, MMORTS and MMO-fighting games, coming to a site that is geared toward RPG players. If you're going to cover and discuss other genres, then you need to do so in a way that is relevant to those that play and perfer those genres.

Comments

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

EDIT: Changed the title so that the subject is more clear.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

no thanks.

i want one destination that has more information not more destinations with less information.

sorry to say but this is just a bad idea.

• robert4818robert4818 Member UncommonPosts: 661

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

no thanks.

i want one destination that has more information not more destinations with less information.

Agree, 

Though that's not to say that I don't think that MMORPG might not do well with a website Re-org.

The OP brings up good points.  And a better organization of the site (perhaps with pages dedicated to other MMO genre's) could help out tremendously.  IGN does a fairly good job in its categories.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I just want to echo what's been said. MMORPG.com is basically a one-stop shop for all your online Games. Even if MMORPG.com only stuck with MMORPGs, I'm sure someone would find something else to nitpick about.

When I want to read about a particular MMORPG, this is the site I go to. Except WoW. I go to mmo-champion for WoW related information. This site is nothing but a breeding ground for hate against WoW unfortunately..

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I have to agree with some others, I like that it's one stop info for a variety of online games. I also like that they have small stories on related games such as Diablo 2 or Dragonage.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • srsh12345srsh12345 Member Posts: 61

no thanks.

100% agree.

What's the point to split up into multiple sites?  This would make sense if it was difficult to find the info. you wanted but it's actually pretty easy to find info. for whatever game you want.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

The "more MMO" advocates will troll on the RPG site and vice versa. Nothing will change except people who want information will have to go to more than one site, lol.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Its just time for people to stop worrying about the little things that dont have any impact on them and simply enjoy the stuff that makes them happy. IE if you want information on only MMORPG's its not that difficult to sort through and look at only the information that interests you. The scope of the site has grown over the years and many of the people who play one type of game play many types of games. Having the occassional reference or article to games that fall strictly outside of the MMORPG really is not that big of a deal.

In addition everyone has their own opinion of what MMO means and what RPG means. For many people if you are not strictly role playing a specific character and using only the communication open to that character and only communicating in a fashion that character would communicate you are not a role player and not role playing. A game which does not enforce such things would then not be a role playing game. This site would not have any games listed. For others RPG means more along the lines that you start with a basic character and "develop" that character through skills, equipment and or knowledge.

There are also several definitions of MMO. For some people having instances in which people are seperated out means the game is not massively multiplayer. For others if you can connect to a game in which a lot of other people(1000+)  are connected at the same time in their minds it is massively multiplayer in some form or fashion.

Overall this site takes a pretty broad view of what MMO means and what RPG means and leaves it up to the individual to figure out what they want to do with it. Occassionly they also include single player type games or normal multi-player type games in various articles. I personally don't mind any of that as I then get to decide what I actually look at.

• daffasdaffas Member Posts: 56

I think maybe just a redesign of the site is in need.  There is so much going on at the main page that it takes a while to load and its very crowded.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

I don't think this would be a good idea. Beside, while every game studios lobby that their game is not your good old fashioned MMORPG, this very website has some good guidelines on which game should be covered (Taken from their FAQs):

• The game should have the capability to support at least 500 congruent users on a single server. This is not a reflection of the game's current subscriber count, but rather reflects the capabilities of a game's technology.

• The game must include some form of common area where players can interact with one another inside of the persistent game world. This excludes lobby and chat room based interaction. Exceptions are made where logical (such as sports MMOs) that still fit within the spirit of what an MMO is.

• The game must make use of persistent characters. This means that you should be able to log in after logging out and find your character as advanced as you left them (or more).

• The game must contain some form of advancement.

Even if the developers are telling you it's a OMG, MMORTS, MMOFPS or MMOG, it's still newsworthy for mmorpg.com as long as it fulfills those points.... With very occasional news on other games like Civilization V, Dragon Age, Oblivion, ect..

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

no thanks.

Agreed. This site is my main stop for information about massively multiplayer online gaming. One of the best features of it is that it has evolved as the platform has evolved.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ReadOneReadOne Member Posts: 4

it will needing more money ,staff ,maintenance and etc etc, I can't Imagine what will happens if the main site linking with New site or sister siteimage, believe me they will lost theirs money, traffic ranking etc.etcimage.  if they smarts they will never build a new site, image

just my 2 Centsimage

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Haven't they?

I know I saw an advertisement for the laughable mac gaming site. (Apple's greatest contribution to gaming will ever be, Angry Birds.)

And some RTS site.

Seems like they're ahead of the game.