Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting off-site poll

There is an interesting off-site poll running on what people think of the game.

It's interesting because it's taking place on a site that is not a fansite or a specific gamer site but has a high degree of traffic.  It's not biased towards perma-fans or towards those that hate the game.  It just asks a simple poll and people answer.  This is a pretty decent way to get the feel for what people think about the game without predjudice. 

Here is a few replies they left:

More details of the poll can be revealed after it's run it's course.  There is no end date set so this is just after 1 day. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
"The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

Comments

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

While I agree with your topic, doesn't this belong in the review section?

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by Benthon

Meh....it's not really a game review, but rather he's passing along interesting information to the community as a whole. The poll isn't a review, even though some of the comments could be contrived as a review.

Back to the OP. First, can you please provide the link to the site you found this poll? It would be nice to see the source material first hand.

Secondly, I find this poll to be somewhat revealing. While the results could be easily swayed by people who just want to troll the game, you did mention that it's simply a high traffic site that isn't solely focused on FFXIV. I really hope that there are people at Square-Enix who are looking at these polls. FFXIV seems to be a huge mistake coming from a company that had been previously known for unquestionable quality.

It would seem that SE's games are on the decline. The past two stand alone games were probably the worst received Final Fantasy titles created, but to also completely flop on a mmorpg. Personally, I'll have to wait for reviews before purchasing SE titles. I used to buy games based on the SE (or Squaresoft) name alone.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by Kaneth

Meh....it's not really a game review, but rather he's passing along interesting information to the community as a whole. The poll isn't a review, even though some of the comments could be contrived as a review.

Back to the OP. First, can you please provide the link to the site you found this poll? It would be nice to see the source material first hand.

Secondly, I find this poll to be somewhat revealing. While the results could be easily swayed by people who just want to troll the game, you did mention that it's simply a high traffic site that isn't solely focused on FFXIV. I really hope that there are people at Square-Enix who are looking at these polls. FFXIV seems to be a huge mistake coming from a company that had been previously known for unquestionable quality.

It would seem that SE's games are on the decline. The past two stand alone games were probably the worst received Final Fantasy titles created, but to also completely flop on a mmorpg. Personally, I'll have to wait for reviews before purchasing SE titles. I used to buy games based on the SE (or Squaresoft) name alone.

Certainly, the link can be provided after the poll has run more than just 1 day.  Also, the point of having an "off-site" poll is to prevent peoples opinions/grudges whatever from contaminating the data.  Once I supply the link, obviously the data is going to be useless for discussion for obvious reasons.  I just added peoples posts as a kind of small justification of their voting choices.  They aren't meant as a review.  They just show people replying that aren't the typical "troll" or "fanboi" type of gamer as used to describe people around this particular site we are on now.  They are just gamers giving an opinion without an "agenda". 

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/863088-vote-your-opinion-finalfantasy14-please.html

It really is an interesting off-site poll. The part I find interesting is the avatar of the opening poster on it. I seem to remember one just like it on these forums not too long ago, just before I signed up here. It has been changed here now of course, but I'm sure some people will recognize it too huh. Guess the saying 'one man can make a difference' really is true afterall. Whats the idea here, if you spread the campaign out to enough locations you can generate your own supporting facts?

• StoogeMonkeyStoogeMonkey Member Posts: 185

You guys sure?

• [Mod Edit]

Why?   You don't want people to hear how serious overclockers with beefy systems and the knowledge to make their computers run well can't get good graphics performance out of the game?

And there are at least two rather glowing posts in that thread (extremely fanboish IMO).  So how is it misleading?

Finally the thread in that forum is not initially negative.  It solely consisted of a solicitation of opinions. 

How is the poll not genuine?  He made one on that forum.  People voted.  You think he made a bunch of accounts to pad it into the that 80% unfavorable its currently at?

You might want to watch out about the throwing of stones might break your glass house.    This guilt by association BS is just that BS.   

You don't like his point of view fine, argue against it but what you are trying here is BS.  Whining about someone you think is negative.  Throwing baseless accusations in an attempt to quiet them and censor information.  Its disgusting.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by gestalt11

Originally posted by taus01

[Mod Edit]

Why?   You don't want people to hear how serious overclockers with beefy systems and the knowledge to make their computers run well can't get good graphics performance out of the game?

And there are at least two rather glowing posts in that thread (extremely fanboish IMO).  So how is it misleading?

Finally the thread in that forum is not initially negative.  It solely consisted of a solicitation of opinions. 

How is the poll not genuine?  He made one on that forum.  People voted.  You think he made a bunch of accounts to pad it into the that 80% unfavorable its currently at?

You might want to watch out about the throwing of stones might break your glass house.    This guilt by association BS is just that BS.   

You don't like his point of view fine, argue against it but what you are trying here is BS.  Whining about someone you think is negative.  Throwing baseless accusations in an attempt to quiet them and censor information.  Its disgusting.

I am sorry,

I never said it is not genuine.

Answer me this: Do we need more threads that tell us how bad the game is? It seems everyone here got the messge. Can we now talk about the game and post help, tutorials and the like? Is that not what a game forum is supposed to do?

Please correct me if i am wrong but thats what i think a forum for a game is for.

Make a sticky and post all the negative things there, make sure everyone sees how bad the game is by making the post stick at the top. I am fine with that.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by StoogeMonkey

You guys sure?

100% both users host their images they post in the threads under the same account on vpforums.com (Virtual Pinball Forum). The user in question also used the same avatar here some time ago.

Don't get me wrong, that does not invalidate the Poll. It's an interesting poll. It's just a little weird if you do that, or i personally  think it's a little weird to do that kind of thing just to keep the "80% players hate the game" argument alive.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Originally posted by ScribZ

>>>>  Yes it is.

>>>>  This part made me laugh  xD 

>>>>  There is some evidence to support this. 

>>>>  Some folks can't help themselves.  That's what the block button is for.

The poll is about honest opinion.  Not about a comparison to other games or any other such nonsense.  Just a question on whether people will buy the game after trying it. 

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by cyphers

Originally posted by choujiofkono

Heh. Right. Giving off the impression that the poll is from an uncolored third party source while you created it yourself, isn't that sort of "reverse shill" activities, not campaigning for but against a game/company? image

Nice find, ScribZ. I looked up the link. Although it's evident that the creator of the poll is the same as the OP poster here and he'll probably have created it to be used here as another 'source' for an anti-FFXIV agenda, I must say that I found the comments in the poll thread to be pretty balanced and to the point: criticisms and likes were mentioned in a rational way with far less of the emotional coloring and bias to the extreme negative or positive side that you so often see on the mmorpg.com forums. So while the intentions of the poll creator might be dubious, the comments in that thread seem to be refreshingly concrete and sensible. Nothing wrong with those.

Oh yeah, nothing wrong with the poll or the posts in it. Both sides are represented, and very little in-fighting in the thread. I have no issue with it and agree with both sides there actually. I just found it funny that the OP here played it off as 'someting he found' and was just making us aware of it for our benefit, and well thats not exactly what he was doing from the looks of it. Shadey to say the least huh.

Not sure why he didnt just come out and say 'Hey, I started a poll on Overclock.net to see what people on a non-MMORPG site had to say about FFXIV, and this is what they came back with". Why couldnt he just be honest and up front about it? Thats all I was wondering anyway.

Originally posted by cyphers

Heh. Right. Giving off the impression that the poll is from an uncolored third party source while you created it yourself, isn't that sort of "reverse shill" activities, not campaigning for but against a game/company? image

Although it's evident that the creator of the poll is the same as the OP poster here and he'll probably have created it to be used here as another 'source' for an anti-FFXIV agenda, I must say that I found the comments in the poll thread to be pretty balanced and to the point: criticisms and likes were mentioned in a rational way with far less of the emotional coloring and bias to the extreme negative or positive side that you so often see on the mmorpg.com forums. So while the intentions of the poll creator might be dubious, the comments in that thread seem to be refreshingly concrete and sensible. Nothing wrong with those.

>>>>> don't put words or opinions into peoples mouths.

I don't need to argue the validity of past threads with you or anyone else.  The individual threads and topics posted provided ample opportunity to debate the topic merits but you and some others choose to resort to veiled and not so veiled insults with every reply.  It turns every topic into a discussion of personal dislike because our opinions differ.  This is not at all how normal folks debate intelligently.  Join me in changing that habbit right now and post rebuttles without using abrasiveness towards individuals. 

>>>>>  That was the point.

On first glance it appears that aproximately 80% of the people who have played the game and have taken part in the poll decided they won't buy it or sub to it.  Which is the only vote that counts. 

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

@OP: this is a forum. I say things how I see them and also look at context. People who create threads and post should expect others reacting upon their posts, positively and negatively. Isn't that how forums work?

Besides that, I'm all for sensible/constructive debate with as little polarized debates, namecalling and flame wars as possible. I found the replies in that poll thread as far as I've read them a good example of how this can be done, a good balance with people commenting upon their criticisms, likes and dislikes in a reasonable and moderate way.

Personally, I'd like it if all discussions in forumsections here on mmorpg.com as the AoC, WoW, SW:TOR, FFXIV ones and others could be held like that.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

I do not know, while the information can be debated, the way it is posted appears somewhat...different. What makes the people on the reported site any different than anyone else? A fast rig? Mommy buys a kid a top end rig and all of a sudden she is qualified to provide information better? So, if they have a high end rig they are somehow...better players who know more about gaming? And how do they differ in opinion with an expensive PC? Non bias? I think not.

• StoogeMonkeyStoogeMonkey Member Posts: 185

Originally posted by seabeast

I do not know, while the information can be debated, the way it is posted appears somewhat...different. What makes the people on the reported site any different than anyone else? A fast rig? Mommy buys a kid a top end rig and all of a sudden she is qualified to provide information better? So, if they have a high end rig they are somehow...better players who know more about gaming? And how do they differ in opinion with an expensive PC? Non bias? I think not.

The point is the poll was made on a forum where the people that frequent it shuold in theory have no alterior motives besides their honest opinion because having a fast rig has little to do with judging the game rather than polling mmorpg and people claiming bias.

That said OP sounds very shady, the fact you didn't mention you started the poll etc. just feels dodgy, and regardless of all that noone is discussing this anymore, we've all come to an agreement that the game is in shambles, even their CEO thinks so.

The die hard believers are busy enjoying their game, and the rest of us are have moved on to drooling over Rift/GW2/Tera/SWTOR. So OP should just rack off.

The point is the poll was made on a forum where the people that frequent it shuold in theory have no alterior motives besides their honest opinion because having a fast rig has little to do with judging the game rather than polling mmorpg and people claiming bias.

That said OP sounds very shady, the fact you didn't mention you started the poll etc. just feels dodgy, and regardless of all that noone is discussing this anymore, we've all come to an agreement that the game is in shambles, even their CEO thinks so.

The die hard believers are busy enjoying their game, and the rest of us are have moved on to drooling over Rift/GW2/Tera/SWTOR. So OP should just rack off.

1. If the OP would've said he started the poll, it would've come to the same conclusion we are at now. Heck, even if nobody found out the same thing probably would've happened

2. Having a fast rig does have something to do with judging the game. If the game can't run for sh!t on your fast computer wouldn't that play into your judgement of the game?

Yay Christmas colors.

• Tharia_KantoTharia_Kanto Member Posts: 11

Oh I sort of liked the post from Frost on that page there ^_^

I really enjoy this game, it is extremely fun, and there is way more to do during battle then just stare and watch ur character swing. there are quite a bit of things not working correctly or still missing, but I believe SE will do there part in due time.

I have never been disappointed with their games(except FFXII's storyline, battle was fun tho). I played FFXI for 4 years, the only reason I quite that games was due to conflicts with my LS, and not wanting to continue without them.

As far as the people who complain about FF games sucking since square took on Enix, I call that total crap. FFXI alone was a HUGE success for SE(yes SE not SquareSoft). FFXI is still running even today, and that game began with Enix in it.

The only major complaints I have with the game, is the lack of performance tuning for high end graphics, and the lack of an AH or some sort of AH type system. However, I believe this is no where near enough reason for all this ruckus and anger towards them. I think if people would just give them time to get out a few big patches, things will get better.

The games design keeps you having plenty to do. There are many classes, and each one has its own uniqueness. The more classes you rank up, the more abilities you have as a whole. The crafting system is somewhat confusing at first, but it is chalanging and worthwhile, plenty of EXP to gain from doing local leves. The partying system is a bit screwed up right now though, no looking for party option. However the group skill gain & EXP bonus is fantastic when done properly.

This is not everything but I always end up typing way to much more than ppl want to read.

Probably where the 3% came from LoL   xD 

I expected there to be more people who bought it that didn't play the beta, it was surprising that she was the only one if that's hers. 

Maybe word of mouth had an effect of that, hard to tell. 

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

Internet polls are a dime a dozen. They provide little to no real information.

That being said, I don't see an option for my opinion.

Played beta thought it sucked, bought it anyway.

Still think it sucks, won't subscribe.

---

Honestly though the game has a certain something, but it has more of something else =/

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

Originally posted by terroni

Internet polls are a dime a dozen. They provide little to no real information.

That being said, I don't see an option for my opinion.

Played beta thought it sucked, bought it anyway.

Still think it sucks, won't subscribe.

Always trust your gut. :)

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

What's interesting? only 32 people voted it's not like thousands.. sorry but when will this ongoing hate on SE go from you? it's getting stupid.

People posting opinions on the game can be found everywere and many are similar in why they leave.

Well quoted her because in the opening where only the negative responses. I mean it is fine since there are around but to make it fair the positive ones should be there as well.

Aside of that not exactly really a new thing ehre since it is a poll in a forum and discussions like in this forum. Ok they propably are friendlier to each other there.  ^_^

I guess it is partly because aside of some few they are not directly connected with a passion like or dislike to the game like around here.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

[Mod Edit]

Whoah... Finger off the report button there a moment taus.

You're complaining about it because the results lean decidedly toward negative.

Were they leaning more toward a positive outcome, would you be as quick to ask the mods to close the thread? Given your own personal post history, I'd wager you wouldn't.

He also held back from providing the link so the results would be more "honest" and less tainted by people from these forums going there to skew the results - on either side. Seems like a pretty honest approach to it, to me.

The conclusion *I* come to is that you want this thread closed because it casts FFXIV in a negative light - something you've been decidedly against for some time now. In fact, I'd argue that you asking for it to be closed demonstrates more dishonesty than what you accuse the OP of.

If you can't abide negative threads, then don't read them. Simple as that.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

1. If the OP would've said he started the poll, it would've come to the same conclusion we are at now. Heck, even if nobody found out the same thing probably would've happened

2. Having a fast rig does have something to do with judging the game. If the game can't run for sh!t on your fast computer wouldn't that play into your judgement of the game?

Yay Christmas colors.

1. True

2. I said there was little to do with it, not nothing at all 

My point still stands though, this guy went to so much effort to beat a dead horse, its the essence of trolling, He didn't just post a link to 'an interesting poll' he went on to a separate forum account on a separate forum, created a poll and bumped the shit out of it until he got enough respondents, and came back here to tell us something we already know? Its pathetic.

A lot of conjecture in that last paragraph that I'm wondering if you have any way to prove.

Most polls only allow a given member to vote once. If you're implying he created a bunch of sock accounts to pad the results, well... I'd like to see some proof. Else, you're throwing around empty accusations and nothing else.

And, yet again... what if the results came back more positive? Or perhaps more evenly split? Would you be here complaining?

So many people here complaining that it was all a setup to allow the OP to feed into a negative campaign, yet none of you acknowledging the fact that - as the OP stated - it's from a non game-specific site and so the results shown are far less likely to show bias either way, as such a poll on this site - or a FFXIV specific site - would.

Again, I'd say some of the responses he's getting are more dishonest than his posting results from a poll he started.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Ah no agression here, I think if someone does have certain doubts about the topic and some intention a person should be allowed to report if tehre is a reason. After all there is the function for that reason. In the end we can normally trust that the moderators consider the situation and decide of their facts to that situation. Anyway it is normally good manner to call a soruce or someone could for example just use some photoshop for example and make a really personal chart for voteings.

I think what taus1 bothers in that acse is that tehre is a lot posted about that the game is disliked by the people, while it is actually not a big news and just let that discussion move in circles. It sure maybe fun and entertaining for some but it si not exactly well informative. For example in other topic there is actually critic about the game from taus1 as well.

I admit that someone that like sthe game most liekly would report that thread instead of someone that not likes the game. While the same would propably happen the other way around as well.

this again is for what the clear forum rules are and indepenend moderators to decided about topics.

Anyway I would love to see if there are not avoid that many negative threads in this forum that at lest one could work along without both sides always jump at each other throats and argue with to much emotions behind. ^_^

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

>>>>  Yes it is.

>>>>  This part made me laugh  xD 

>>>>  There is some evidence to support this. 

>>>>  Some folks can't help themselves.  That's what the block button is for.

The poll is about honest opinion.  Not about a comparison to other games or any other such nonsense.  Just a question on whether people will buy the game after trying it. 

You've been getting no small amount of shit for very fairly stating your thoughts on Final Fantasy XIV, eh Chouji? Create a more nuanced poll that this one, try for at least 6 but no more than 8 possible answers, and ask people to explain why they voted the way they did. I did something very similar when Blizzard decided that completely nullifying privacy was a good idea for their customers and I received some really, really good feedback. By no means take down the poll you have there, just put one up here as well. I look forward to seeing it. ^^/

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.

This discussion has been closed.