Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boycott SE

1235»

Comments

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Here is a pretty nice post done by MMORPG.com headliner STRADDEN about how to go about organizing a boycott and some examples of why it is effective...

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Stradden/112009/5038_Speaking-With-Your-Wallet

" Personally, I think what’s happening is that people aren’t necessarily making their voices heard in the most effective way possible: by making it unprofitable for companies to ignore them. "

" My friends, there’s only one way to effectively give your say when it comes to voicing your displeasure with a game company’s decision. Stop giving them your money. "

" In the end, it’s the bottom line stuff that companies are going to listen to. That’s why most MMOs ask you why you’ve cancelled when you cancel your sub. It’s not because they enjoy reading the large number of profanity-laced responses, but because it can give them an idea of what needs changing should a pattern develop. "

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• Colossus1979Colossus1979 Member Posts: 125

well, in this case i'd think we would all agree that a pattern HAS developed, the question still is how many if any at all would go along? even if it did suit their interests by improving the game and the complaints people have...you'd still have to get a large number of folks who, even though they enjoy it would do without for the greater good. that could be a battle in itself.

i just think doing boycotts and even having it as an idea, would be alot easier if the cash they lost from the boycotting of the game would cause a wave and not a ripple so to speak. i just think they have alot of different interests in alot of places making them alot of money, so even if the game was to fail the only real concern to them would be the tarnishing of the FF fanchise name, not necessarily the money lost. i'm not saying they can take the hit to reputation by any means but i'm guessing they had to have braced for a little loss money wise at this point.

Played:FFXI, WoW, LOTR,EQ. Playing:FFXIV.
    Looking Forward To:DCU, SWTOR.

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

This thread is funny. Square Enix released a bad game. It happans. They have also released some of the best games of all time? Does that not count for somthing? Final Fantasy 2,6,7,8,10,13, Star Ocean 1-4, Chrono Trigger and Cross. These are all amazing RPGs they deserve praise. God forbid they release one bad game.

• mengdezmengdez Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by mudd4ever

lolwut?  Criminal?  Really??

Was someone holding a gun to your head when you bought the CE?  Didn’t think so.  Was there no > 2 week Open Beta just prior to launch to get a very good idea of what the game was like, but still leaving time to cancel preorders?  Oh wait, there was.

You may not like the game, and that is fine.  Heck, when I stop having fun I'll quit too.  But calling what they did criminal?  That's quite an accusation there.

Just saying.

Amen.

+10 for this post.

• dwani2dwani2 Member Posts: 6

I personally agree.  I had already decided to make this game my last SE product I ever buy, based on how bad it was and how bad previous games were.  Enough is enough.  How many more shitty games that look great at first and should be great if any real work went into them, do i need to waste my money and time on?

• Colossus1979Colossus1979 Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by Serenes

This thread is funny. Square Enix released a bad game. It happans. They have also released some of the best games of all time? Does that not count for somthing? Final Fantasy 2,6,7,8,10,13, Star Ocean 1-4, Chrono Trigger and Cross. These are all amazing RPGs they deserve praise. God forbid they release one bad game.

the difference in all those games you mention.....i'll blurt it out, as a person who's playing XIV even now as we speak.

"UM.........STORY?!"

ok, the fact they have those leves (which are basically like wow dailies imo just with a shorter CD time) are nice, but frankly other than the main "questline"they give you...which you can only do in intervals of whatever level or rank you're on, is just a big WTF PHAIL! i'm all for rep quests, and dailies to get money or recipies...but frankly that's all it seems to be at the moment.

if it wasn't for the community i found...which i'm so sorry to say outweighs the ones on the last 2 games i've played (once lotr went F2P it started getting just....bad), i'd be one of the ones who say this is unsaveable. there are alot who are like me...who will play but have litteraly given the timetabe of december..or even march for the sony launch to say "we gave you more than enough time."

bottom line is...they DID release a bad game....under the flagship banner of their best of the best....alot of folks are pissed.....rightfully so......and they either got make right by them or deal with the comeuppance.

Played:FFXI, WoW, LOTR,EQ. Playing:FFXIV.
    Looking Forward To:DCU, SWTOR.

• OrtisaiOrtisai Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by Zookz1

Originally posted by bloodaxes

I don't have 5-10 seconds delay maybe 1-2 seconds rarely but 5-10 seconds really?

[Edit]

Ah yes selling items well it's not delay that is like SE made it. Selling an item 1 by 1 will obviously be slower then being able to sell many things together or without a window showing only 1 item at a time.

Yes it's slow but what can you/I do? I won't stop playing a GAME because it takes me more then a minute to sell my stuff.

It pretty much remains the same for crafting, or pretty much everything outside of combat. It doesn't help that you have to confirm everything like 5 times before the game lets you continue.

Please select your items one-by-one out of your un-sortable inventory while fighting UI lag.

Please select main hand or off hand.

Which item would you like to craft?

Are you sure?

Are you really really sure?

Positive?

Okay, you can craft now.

Seriously, whoever came up with the ridiculously overburdened menus needs to rethink his career as a designer. Did they not have internal play testers? I simply can't imagine anyone thinking the UI and the lag associated with it was okay. Evertime I think about the state of the game, my mind melts; it baffles me how they could let this game out the door as is.

Sorry but if your still having UI lag, your PC must SUCK DONKEY BALLS

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

To the OP.

Why boycott, how about next time listen to people telling you the game is horribad.

You chose to spend your money... your fault.

Its called being a wise consumer, don't blame others for your inabilities.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

I buy SE-Games exclusively at Gamestop nowadays so that i have a guarantee that i can get my money back when the game is turning out to be a turd. Been doing that since FF X-2 and i brought back every single SE-game within 3-5 days since then. I turned in FF XIII the day i bought it and didn't even buy FF XIV after having experienced the beta.

• d00fbysanchod00fbysancho Member Posts: 219

I think people are funny sometimes its the suits sometimes make game developers rush the game whatnot maybe they should of delayed the game but if you can come up with the money could you make a better game?

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by d00fbysancho

I think people are funny sometimes its the suits sometimes make game developers rush the game whatnot maybe they should of delayed the game but if you can come up with the money could you make a better game?

6 months after release ff14 will be a bad game.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by d00fbysancho

...but if you can come up with the money could you make a better game?

I often wonder when people use this argument if they're able to type it out completely before they burst out laughing, or if they have to pause several times in the midst of trying to type it.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by Clubmaster22

I buy SE-Games exclusively at Gamestop nowadays so that i have a guarantee that i can get my money back when the game is turning out to be a turd. Been doing that since FF X-2 and i brought back every single SE-game within 3-5 days since then. I turned in FF XIII the day i bought it and didn't even buy FF XIV after having experienced the beta.

WoW that is a pretty good point.  That is one method to boycott the company I suppose.  Trial the game through GameStop and just turn it back in if you figure out it's not worth the money.  Then you are able to fully see what the game offers and are able to stop the company from gaining your profits and using them to develop more games with the same failings. 

I wouldn't think you could do this with MMO's though because of the obvious cd-key issues yes?  I haven't bought any MMO's through GameStop besides a copy of EQ2 + all the expansions for $10 LoL..  best $10 I ever spent!  xD  Plus it came with 60days free through an offer!  It was a great game but even if it wasn't there wasn't much risk for the $10.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• lynxielynxie Member Posts: 103

[Mod Edit]

And can't mods stop this kind of topics?

People take it way over the top and it is very annoying. I am a long time member around here, but I notice I come less and less, it has way to much negativity. Sharing opinions and stuff is fine, but there must be a line in how far people can go in this.

I really hope some mods can take some actions.

Thank you very much in advance.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

This thread has run its course many times over. Please remember to read the RoC before posting. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.