Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Photorealistic Battlefield game in spring 2011'

From :  http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-11-08/ea_blows_up_online_pc_gaming_with_battlefield_play4free.shtml

From the makers of the hit arcade shooter Battlefield Heroes comes an all-new entry in the free to play market, this time featuring photo-real characters, environments, weapons and maps. EA just announced Battlefield Play4Free, a deep PC shooter featuring signature Battlefield vehicular warfare, sandbox gameplay and intense 32-player online battles. With its advanced graphics, polished production values, depth and realism, Battlefield Play4Free takes the genre to the next level and is positioned to compete with top console titles. The game goes live in spring 2011. Players who wish to get in the game sooner can register now for the closed beta at the Official Website which launches on November 30th.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
"The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

Comments

• alan0alan0 Member Posts: 50

here i thought this was about bf3 not a redo of bf2 o well

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Err..  it's not BF2.  It just uses some of BF2 map designs because they are awesome. 

It's a F2P Wargame combat MMO.  Sounds fun to me, I love the BF series. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

It looks like they took the BF2 code and reskinned it with some higher rez textures and thats about it.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Battlefield 2, released 5yrs ago looks more photorealistic. The one on top looks more like CoD4. 

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Originally posted by choujiofkono

Err..  it's not BF2.  It just uses some of BF2 map designs because they are awesome. 

Just to correct your missinterpeted statement, 32 players does not make it a mmo.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Photorealistic is the wrong choice of word. Does it look great? Sure! Does it look like it was taken with a camera? Not close.

Maybe the OP should have said  " More realistic Battlefield game in spring 2011'" or some other choice of wording.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by DevilXaphan

Just to correct your missinterpeted statement, 32 players does not make it a mmo.

What would you call it? Is Massive, its Multiplayer, and its Online. I personally rather see it as a MMOFPS. To me that makes more sence.

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329

Originally posted by Falcomith

What would you call it? Is Massive, its Multiplayer, and its Online. I personally rather see it as a MMOFPS. To me that makes more sence.

How is it massive?  It's your standard shooter with shoebox sized maps and 32 players.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by rendus

How is it massive?  It's your standard shooter with shoebox sized maps and 32 players.

i wouldn't say standard shoebox map. Strike at Karkand is fairly well sized. But its differently not massive.

And its BF2 engine highly modified. Not bad thing, BF2 > BC1 & 2

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Originally posted by Jimmy562

i wouldn't say standard shoebox map. Strike at Karkand is fairly well sized. But its differently not massive.

MMO= Massively Multiplayer Online.

Nothing to do with how big the gameworld is.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by busdriver

Then BF2 and BF Bad Company are mmo's..........

Originally posted by Frostbite05

I'm very excited to hear how you came to this conclusion as it defies any sort of logic.

Massive pertains to the amount of people who can interact with one another in the virtual game world..  32 is not massive.

What's the average mmo's server capacity?  2500, 5000, 10,000 people?  That's massively multiplayer.

I'm very excited to hear how you came to this conclusion as it defies any sort of logic.

I just can't get over how you can't see how that isn't an mmo in any way shape or form. Rather it is just an online fps

humor us and explain how a 32 player game is massively multiplayer.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

I'll take General Gaming for 400 Alex.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Reading the original article, the site tagged it as MMOFPS. As such, that is probably a pretty liberal labeling as well. I didn't see anything in the article about it being a persistent world. The only persistence I saw was the progression of combat skills and in-game currency to buy weapons, though the former doesn't really seem any different then any other FPS right now.

The write-up sounds like they are trying to hype the marketing speak for what sounds to be another FPS title. Can't blame them to some extent. Seems like there are no shortage of FPS games and dressing up the marketing a bit is one way to make it stand out.

Anyway, this post was made in the "General Gaming" section which seems appropriate until the 30th when the actual website for the game is supposed to launch. There will probably be a bit more info available then..

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

Originally posted by mklinic

Reading the original article, the site tagged it as MMOFPS. As such, that is probably a pretty liberal labeling as well. I didn't see anything in the article about it being a persistent world. The only persistence I saw was the progression of combat skills and in-game currency to buy weapons, though the former doesn't really seem any different then any other FPS right now.

The write-up sounds like they are trying to hype the marketing speak for what sounds to be another FPS title. Can't blame them to some extent. Seems like there are no shortage of FPS games and dressing up the marketing a bit is one way to make it stand out.

Anyway, this post was made in the "General Gaming" section which seems appropriate until the 30th when the actual website for the game is supposed to launch. There will probably be a bit more info available then..

Exactly its all part of a marketing gimmic I mean they say combat arms in an mmo but its just a Counter Strike clone

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

Massive pertains to the amount of people who can interact with one another in the virtual game world..  32 is not massive.

What's the average mmo's server capacity?  2500, 5000, 10,000 people?  That's massively multiplayer.

2500 ? :D  WoW cant handle 100 people in one place properly. If you say 2500 play on one server , you can say same about any fps shooter. Oh look over one week we got 10000 different players on this server woa how massive.

Most mmos ain't massive. Especially in pve nowadays youre not even 40 people grinding your static mob encounters.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

Originally posted by aleos

I'll take General Gaming for 400 Alex.

read post #8 and #11

Originally posted by Aison2

2500 ? :D  WoW cant handle 100 people in one place properly. If you say 2500 play on one server , you can say same about any fps shooter. Oh look over one week we got 10000 different players on this server woa how massive.

Most mmos ain't massive. Especially in pve nowadays youre not even 40 people grinding your static mob encounters.

Massive is how many people can play in a persistent world at once.

It hurts me of your lack of understanding of what an mmo is on a site dedicated to mmo's

Stop making yourself look even more stupid. It provides lols for a while, but in the long such idiocy might become contagious.

What your the one who thinks a fps is an mmo haha.

Where the fuck did I say that? Here's your very own quote, go get someone who can read it for you.

• StoogeMonkeyStoogeMonkey Member Posts: 185

so your saying counter-strike is massive?

Get real people, the acronym isn't the definition of the genre,

mmo's have all sorts of conotations that should (atleast mostly) be fulfilled, e.g. persistant world (non lobby based).

Battlefied an mmo?  this is getting rediculous

It means you have the potential to interact with 100s or even 1000s of people, not at a time obviously. duh

http://www.massively.com/2010/09/08/free-for-all-so-what-does-mmorpg-mean/

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

Massive is how many people can play in a persistent world at once.

Except that they dont, instances and the world itself ain't persistent. Come back until the next expansion and everything is the same.

Pi*1337/100 = 42