Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fitness for Gamers

Over the past five years or so, I packed on about 35 lbs. I used to be a lean 165lbs at 5'10" At my heaviest a year ago, I weighed just over 200(!) lbs.

I attribute it to a sedentary lifestyle, getting married, and not really giving a shit. I decided being fat was horrible in every possible way; I had no energy, lacked self-confidence, and was just pissed off about being out of shape. So, last year I made a resolution that I would get back in shape, but of course when Jan. 1st comes around, and you're fighting a soul-crushing hangover, things get ignored or pushed to the side.

A few weeks ago, I decided, once again it was time to change, and I ordered P90X. Holy. Shit. My first foray into it was awful. I couldn't get through an entire DVD if my life depended on it. I decided as a precursor to going full swing into the program that I would do the DVD's but at my own pace. There's this one workout in particular called Plyometrics, which is roughly translated as, "You are going to die."

It's been a big struggle to get through these workouts, and I figured I'd seek some motivation from my fellow nerds. I was thinking about setting up some sort of "leveling system" to keep me motivated lol. Like right now, I'm a level 1 noob, with no idea what the hell is going on, but maybe in a few months I may level up. You can take the nerd out of the game, but you can't take the nerd out of the nerd... or something.

Surely I can't be the only gamer who is sick of being out of shape. Let's hear your experiences with getting back in shape!

Comments

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Some of the most in shape people I know, can't make it through a single P90X DVD their first time. I know people who can run 2 miles in 13ish min, do 90ish pushups in 2min and 90ish situps who have taken 2 weeks to work up to be able to make it through a P90X video. It's because of the type of exercise it is, the muscle confusion is extremely effective and very different than anything else you can do to work your body.

So, don't let it get you down that you can't make it through a DVD yet. You'll get there, if you keep at it, you will be able to work your body up to the level you want it at using P90X, faster than anything you can do short of getting your own personal trainer. 

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

I bought the Cellucor weight loss system. So far I went from 222 lbs. to 207 in one month. That was without any lifestyle changes at all. When I do my second cycle of the Cellucor weight loss system I will incorporate an actual work out plan. I'm pretty excited to see how this next cycle will go.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

Fitness for gamers?

Put the phone in the other room so you have a little ways to walk when ordering your pizza

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I wouldn't guage your fitness level by weight.  Do it by energy, and how well you like the shape of your body.  Muscle weighs 4 times more then fat.  Even if you weigh over 200 lbs. you can still be extremely thin.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Thanks for the replies.

@Hatter: I know P90X is pretty tough, but I guess I didn't take into account that it's hard for people who are already in shape. It absolutely destroys me every time I do it. I feel like a bit of a puss doing Yoga and shaking uncontrollably. I figure it's only 90 days, and if anything it will give me a great foundation for a healthy lifestyle.

@Seabass: That's awesome! Grats on trying to become healthier.

@Cleffy: My biggest struggle right now is figuring out how much I should be eating. At 177 lbs. and wanting to cut fat, their nutrition plan suggest I eat around 2500 calories per day, which sound like a lot to me. After only a few weeks, I have a lot more energy, so I think that's a good thing.

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Zookz, buy a nice scale. One that does, BMI and stuff like that. It will tell you about how much caloric intake in order to maintain the weight you are at. After that all you have to do is shoot to be under that number. It usually costs about $50 for a nice scale.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by seabass2003

Zookz, buy a nice scale. One that does, BMI and stuff like that. It will tell you about how much caloric intake in order to maintain the weight you are at. After that all you have to do is shoot to be under that number. It usually costs about $50 for a nice scale.

BMI is not a good number. It only goes by the numbers and no other assumptions. I need to get my ass in shape, but I have a lot of muscle under my unwanted pudge. I have weight to lose, but when my BMI is listed at 40+ for my height and weight, I laugh. I have a lot of muscle and I am most definately not toned, but that BMI does not account for muscle mass.

I've dropped cable, so I have no excuse to sit in front of the TV, my GFX card went caput on my PC and I am not buying a new one until I get into shape (so no FO:NW or COD:BO for me) and I do not have any games for my Xbox which I feel the need to play. Fuck technology, it's time to get my ass back to moving.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by Dekron

Originally posted by seabass2003

BMI is not a good number. It only goes by the numbers and no other assumptions. I need to get my ass in shape, but I have a lot of muscle under my unwanted pudge. I have weight to lose, but when my BMI is listed at 40+ for my height and weight, I laugh. I have a lot of muscle and I am most definately not toned, but that BMI does not account for muscle mass.

I've dropped cable, so I have no excuse to sit in front of the TV, my GFX card went caput on my PC and I am not buying a new one until I get into shape (so no FO:NW or COD:BO for me) and I do not have any games for my Xbox which I feel the need to play. Fuck technology, it's time to get my ass back to moving.

I've just been following what the nutrition guide that came with p90x says. 2400 calories per day. 7 servings of protein, 3 servings dairy, 1 fruit, 4 veggie, 1 fat, 1 carb. I would chop off my legs to eat half a pizza right now. I really don't care about the scale, or numbers. I just want to look and feel like I did when I was in great shape. I was in the military, so I hear ya on the no excuses thing. I decided next Monday would be my offical P90X start. I've been using and modifying it to get me in some semblance of fitness before I dive in head first.

Random note - I did Plyometrics yesterday and I have to go down the stairs on my ass today because I'm so sore.

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

Just eat less, that's how I lost weight. The funny thing is am telling the truth lol.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.