Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about playing, some questions

DymasiusDymasius Member Posts: 27

I am currently looking for a new mmorpg to play and I found Everquest II. I want to try the free trial and see how it goes (the trial is still there? Or is the trial the free to play server?), but I've got some questions. I would be glad if someone could answer.

1.How is the leveling? Hard, moderate, easy? How long does it take to reach level 50 and beyond?

2.Which server is populated? (I don't want to play on a free to play server)

3.I heard Everquest II's community is made up by elitists and there isnt much room for new players. Is this true? How are my chances to find players in the lower/mid level zones? Will I find a guild who takes in new players and who will guide them along?

4.How are the dungeons? Fun, challenging? Are there dungeons for low-level players or only for those at max level? And if there are, how hard is it to find players for low/mid level dungeons?

5.I am playing alone most of the time (I just don't have a close friend who plays mmorpgs and who I could play with), so I want a class that can solo. But, I also enjoy playing as a healer. Can healers solo in Everquest II and if yes, which healer class would you recommend? Which is fun to play and which is the most "straightforward" healer/the most desired healer for dungeons and raids?

So many questions, sorry about that. I hope someone will take the time to answer, thanks in advance to anyone who does ^^

Comments

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Dymasius

I am currently looking for a new mmorpg to play and I found Everquest II. I want to try the free trial and see how it goes (the trial is still there? Or is the trial the free to play server?), but I've got some questions. I would be glad if someone could answer.

I believe there is still a trial, if not, I can probably arrange for an "invite a friend" thing for you.  PM me if you don't find trial.

1.How is the leveling? Hard, moderate, easy? How long does it take to reach level 50 and beyond?

level 90 is cap.  It's been done in 24 hours of playtime, but that was with massive buffs and a lot of help.   If you're deadset on getting to 90 asap, it'll probably take about 80-100 hours of play.

2.Which server is populated? (I don't want to play on a free to play server)

Antonia Bayle.  Although a whole lot of servers are getting merged soon, i think all except 3 regular servers are getting merged (I don't mean all into one, i mean in pairs).

3.I heard Everquest II's community is made up by elitists and there isnt much room for new players. Is this true? How are my chances to find players in the lower/mid level zones? Will I find a guild who takes in new players and who will guide them along?

It's complete BS that the community is made up of elitists.  But as any 6 year old game, you'll find more veterans than new players, except on the new free servers.   Most servers have low and mid-level guilds, but really, if you're trying to get to 90, you're better off soloing for most of it and then finding a group closer to 90.   EQ2 makes is extremely easy for new players to catch up and get in on the endgame action.  

However, it is expected that you do catch up.  If you're level 85 trying to get into a group for a level 90 zones, it's not elitism that won't let you in, it's that it's perfectly easy to find a level 90 for that zone to make the group's life easier.  But nothing stops you from getting to 90 and then joining.

4.How are the dungeons? Fun, challenging? Are there dungeons for low-level players or only for those at max level? And if there are, how hard is it to find players for low/mid level dungeons?

Dungeons (especially group or multi-group instances) are great and the best thing about EQ2.  There are dungeons for low level players - lots of them.  The problem is that it is a 6 year old game, so there aren't that many low level players and SOE over the years has made a lot of the dungeons easier or even soloable in order to help people level up faster to the more populated levels.

5.I am playing alone most of the time (I just don't have a close friend who plays mmorpgs and who I could play with), so I want a class that can solo. But, I also enjoy playing as a healer. Can healers solo in Everquest II and if yes, which healer class would you recommend? Which is fun to play and which is the most "straightforward" healer/the most desired healer for dungeons and raids?

All healers can solo and most can solo well in terms of being able to kill tough mobs, however most do this killing very slowly, so when the majority of solo quests call for killing multiple easy mobs, it'll be slow. 

Most desired healers for dungeons and raids are (top 3 in approx order):  Defiler, Templar, Inquisitor, Mystic, Warden, Fury.

Healers in order of how much damage they do (again, very approx):  Fury, Inquis, Mystic, Warden, Defiler, Templar.

If you play solo a lot, a Fury is a good choice due to being able to kill relatively quickly as well as getting druid portals to help in travel and good runbuffs.  It is the least wanted healer in groups and raids though.   An Inquisitor is a good choice if you want to do be sort of "middle of the road".

So many questions, sorry about that. I hope someone will take the time to answer, thanks in advance to anyone who does ^^

there ya go.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO