Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Progressive server and Beastlords?

meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

If this server releases expansions every six months that means no beastlords?  Or does it mean just no Vah Shir?

Comments

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I think it means no beastlords till it progresses to that expansion.  As well -- no bazaar, no guildhall/lobby, no loyalty vendor, no defiant.  It might be they start with kunark though so maybe there will be Iksar.

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

If they do it more or less like last time, only with time locks, the classes and races that were in expansions won't be available until the unlock of the appropriate expansion. You'll have to check the official forums or eqplayers.com for details as they are available, but there were no iksars, vah shir, frogloks, drakkin, beastlords, or berserkers at release of the previous Progression servers.

(... I feel like I am forgetting something in that list.)

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Hmm, that means we would have to be a 1/2E Ranger (me) and WE Druid (Her).....or maybe I will be a warrior instead.

When BST are released I can be a Barb BST and she a Barbie Shaman......is there some overlap and redundancy with these classes?

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

They'll cast similar buffs yes, with shamans having better buffs, and bst has a couple specialty class buffs.  They both also have slows, debuffs, etc.. that are similar.  Main differences are shamans can heal and heal very well, while BST is a dps class with a pet.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

So a BST and druid would be better or a shaman and ranger, right?  I like ranger and druid but think that will be too similiar, but perhaps it is not. 

Problem is, we want to be the same race and I don't think Rangers and SHaman share a common race.....

If you guys are set on those 4 classes, then yeah only way you can stay the same race would be beastlord + shaman or ranger + druid.  The advantages to the beastlord + shaman duo would be having access to the best buffs/debuffs ingame and slow.  The advantages to ranger + druid combo is having access to tracking, evacs/teleports, and a tad higher dps.

Honestly both duos should do fine given you absolutely want to be the same race.  So pick the 2 that you two are most interested in.

Ok, so which would be better for DPS and buffs/debuffs. Ranger and Shaman or BST and Druid?

Even though there is overlap, I can see a lot of utility in either a shaman/beastlord or ranger/druid combo, if you want those classes.  The shaman's stat buffs and slow complement any melee class, including beastlord.  A ranger/druid combo would be pretty good for tag team kiting. 

I would advise that you play what you want. Only a few combinations are really awful without mercs (say, wizard & rogue, for example), and there are probably some strange and determined people out there who make those work. (Any duo is viable with mercs... Just call me Captain Obvious.) If you're not worried about efficiency, any healing class + any melee or hybrid class will work. 

Originally posted by meleemadness

Ok, so which would be better for DPS and buffs/debuffs. Ranger and Shaman or BST and Druid?

To actually answer this question:

If it were me, I would go BST/druid, out of those two choices, if you're not sure you're in for the long haul, since I think it would be more fun in the first half of the game. The beastlord can use its little slow and get in there to fight while the druid can heal,  throw the damage shield on BST and pet, and maybe toss some nukes and dots... And/or snare/root/evac if things go badly.

Rangers have some neat tricks, like tracking, but (from my observation and listening to ranger friends), they only get really good later in the game, when they have more AAs and levels. Some people seem to have a lot of fun playing them all the way through, though, so if you like the idea of being a ranger, go for it. 

Picking from the four classes you've mentioned, I think I'd choose BST/shaman, BST/druid, Ranger/shaman, and Ranger/druid, in that order.

Thanks Lady, We will probably go BST and Shaman.  My wife likes healing and ranged damage and having a pet and she can get one as a shaman.  I love melee and having a big pet too!

btw, does the shaman pet do any damage or anything?  Also, if she was Vah Shir (spelling) what pet would she have as a shaman, still the wolf?

Shaman pets are wolves regardless of race, but beastlord pets change according to race.  Vah Shir would give you a tiger.  Shaman pets are fairly weak, can't tank anything and dies if mobs do aoe or enrage.  They give you a slight dps boost.