Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disney movies...

EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

My son watched Pochontas and Pochontas two today and something struck me very odd when watching these two movies; and that's horribly inaccurate they were.

The first one has some similiarities to history, but the second movie was a slap in the face when it comes to history.

Captain John Smith is a direct descendant of my family. When I mean "direct" i mean he was literally my great great great grandfather from my mother's grandmother's side of the family. He helped to colonized Tangier Island in Virginia during exploration expeditions and shortly before he discovered Pochontas.

The second movie (if anyone ever saw it) had the following "things" in their movie:

1. I know Christians did bad things in the past, but they all didn't look like fat, bald people with curley mustaches.

2. Captain John Smith was not a class A environmentalist like the movies suggested. He had a love of exploration but at the same time he had a love of gold and women. During his travels it was noted that he slept with many women in the new country. Let's just say, that he was "busy" with other affairs while away from home in England and it did not have anything to do with singing with deer and trees or trying to save the new countries' forest to the invading englishmen

3. Captain John Smith fell in love with Pochontas and vice versa. The only reason why Pochontas married Rolfe was simply because she thought Captain John Smith was dead.

4. The Christians did not "set up" Pochontas in front of King James 1 to be an evil savage woman like the second movie suggested. He simply held a court audience with her only once. Only once because she died when she was 22 of tuberculosis.

Everyone has their own agendas I suppose; which is fine. However, is it just me or is the Disney Movies trying to get into politics? I mean, I dont see Bambi, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty having any hidden political undertones. However, everytime I see a Disney Movie now, it's so concentrated in political under and overtones that I could just scream.

Ah well, to each their own. If you have mega bucks to alter history in young people's minds, then you are truly a powerful person.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Gotta think though. It wouldn;t be much of a disney movie with sex and major violence. They only hide that in their movies, not openly show it. ::::02::

• gamingdudegamingdude Member Posts: 179

really who cares, kids wont care if the movies innacurate, you're completely right, but c'mon

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

well...

since He was a relative of mine, I sorta care with how they portrayed him

And the bottom line is, if Disney does this and no one cares, then where will the line be drawn? On Television shows? Movies? Textbooks?

Interesting discussion, nevertheless

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• vrtldavevrtldave Member Posts: 558

see the real problem is in pron movies.. its so inaccurate... the plumber always gets action in those movies but in real life that would never happen... rember kids in real life if your a plumber you dont get any... see the corruption has already spread to pron movies.... think of the children!...

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

disney movies suck after walt died.

that being said my first girfriend was obsessed with them and would look up the history behind them.

this being said i read a very interesting paper on the origins of mickey mouse, and all the majro characters.

but my favorite was how disney villains save the world..... a very interesting paper.

but she actually looked up the history on pocahantas and ya disney butchers history worse then any part of hollywood.

ya i dont like disney anymore best thing they have done in last 30 years is kingdom hearts.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

I was under the impression that there wasn't even any romance between John Smith and Pocahontas. That in truth he actually captured her, and from there they just grew fond of each other (and when I say fond; how friends are fond of each other).

And yes, it strikes me that Disney is trying their hand in politics; which isn't surprising. Corrupt the young minds to your will, and you control the world!

ok...Maybe not so dramatic or extreme, but that has truth.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

Originally posted by Finwe

I was under the impression that there wasn't even any romance between John Smith and Pocahontas. That in truth he actually captured her, and from there they just grew fond of each other (and when I say fond; how friends are fond of each other).
    And yes, it strikes me that Disney is trying their hand in politics; which isn't surprising. Corrupt the young minds to your will, and you control the world!
    ok...Maybe not so dramatic or extreme, but that has truth.

strangely enough my right wing Ex said the exact same thing......

that disney was merely an attemtpt to recruit people into the democratic party

i am not sure i dont automatically discount anything........

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

lol dont lie Vamp you have never had a gf...

Originally posted by vrtldave

lol dont lie Vamp you have never had a gf...

oh dave u oversimplify me.

i never bladantly lie, its the subtle ones u have to worry about with me.

if u want i can show u pics but im not really sure how to upload images but if someone will help me ide be more then willing.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

lol

Im sure Vampyr has had a girl friend....right, Vampyr? lol

Back to topic...Im not saying Disney is trying to convert people to liberalism or even a democrate. Im just talking about Politics in general....whether its right wing or left wing....it should be left out of entertainment if it has no bearing to thaty particular media.

Cartoons geared for children for example...has no place for politics; whether right wing, left wing, etc. Same goes for music concerts of popular singers. I just think mindless entertainment (watching a lobster sing for a red haired girl fish that looks nice is mindless entertainment) should not have political agendas or historical radical changes.

Im starting to become a staunch Dreamworks supporter. So far, Dreamworks really have no hidden agenda in their animation....well, for the exception of Shark Tale...but they didn't take it too far and it was still enjoyable!

its actually a communist regionm jsut to let you know... ow and http://www.villagephotos.com/ that place hosts... I dotn want to see any pics jsut letting yo unkow...

plus you know that the whole idea of anything is to get and idea across right... and even if they dont mean it there opnions will shift how a movie comes out and if they are lets say right wingest then their cartoontons will protray their ideas inadverntly... just beacuse there ideas become their work...

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Enigma makes a good point.

I remember alot of Disney cartoons very clearly even though I was little when I saw it.

I still remember going to the theatre to see Pocahantis (sp?) when I was a kid, and If it were slightly historically correct, I probably could have learned a thing or two.

Since we're on the topic of Disney, my brother has a ton of Disney DVD's and one of them had propaganda cartoons with Hitler in the WWII timeline, it's hillarious.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server

this quote of mine comes to mind, mind you im taking it out of context.

"please dont mix my reality with my fantasy in video games, its like mixing ketchup and yogurt(i had a friend who did that)"

anyway my friend was critizing me for not liking games like the political machine or that one game where you control a country and its super realistic.

but i think disney should follow that rule if you replace games and with cartoons.

anyway just saw hitchhikers guide to the galaxy perfect example of good fiction without reality.