Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

most original mmo

what in your opinion is the most original mmo?

Comments

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

imageThat is a very broad question....you need to be specific.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• BlizzagenBlizzagen Member Posts: 167

I don't really think he does. In your opinion, what is the most original MMO? What doesn't follow the Everquest mold, so to speak.

In my own view, EVE Online.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

In my opinion UO...no other game till this day have managed to achieve such depth...

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Probably ---> A Tale in the Desert

• diegofrgcdiegofrgc Member Posts: 451

Ultima Online, you wont find any other game similar to UO. Its simply one of the best MMORPGs out there.

Runner-ups:

DAoC
    EVE
    Guild Wars

• TranquilityTranquility Member Posts: 171

/agree on Ultima Online. I am still looking for a game with the same depth as uo had in the good ol' days. Eve is very original too, A Tale in the Desert was VERY original and so is second life. I dont think DAoC is very original though.

Oh city of heroes is pretty original as well imo. Guild Wars seems to be pretty original as well, allthough i havent tried that one yet.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

1)EVE

2)City of Heroes

3)Guild Wars

Although only the first one is actually a good game ::::39::

• NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

1. SEED:THC
    2. EVE-Online
    3. WW2O

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
    UO hands down. Every other fantasy MMO since has just varied the UO model.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Since UO was the "first" mmo, there is no doubt that it is the most original since it was the "first".

My opinion would be City Of Heroes and WWIIO for bringing FPS action into the MMO genre for the first time.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Originally posted by Naos
    1. SEED:THC
    2. EVE-Online
    3. WW2O

BLARG!
    Seed isnt out yet. But when it is it could easily be among the most original. (just hope it turns out as the devs expect)

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Second Life.

You can do pretty much whatever you want in that game.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402

def guild wars because of completely different play style and overall online handling style

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Originally posted by WizGamer
    def guild wars because of completely different play style and overall online handling style

Shows what you know about MMOs. Guild Wars borrows ideas from pretty much every MMO out there.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• jackman11118jackman11118 Member Posts: 399
    The most current original mmorpg is the matrix online. they have a new combat system, a actual story, a dev team that creates the story and plays as major characters and minor characters. insanely good graphics. the game may not be as original as UO, but that games old, MXO is new.

• ValaraukValarauk Member Posts: 303

Originally posted by xela501
    what in your opinion is the most original mmo?

This depends in large part on how you define “MMORPG”. If your definition is broad enough then the most original MMORPG would be one of the text based MUDs from back in the 70’s. “Zork” would be a good example of one of those (I’ve never played it before but it seems to have been one of the games that got things rolling). If you think of MMORPG’s in the more modern terms of a role playing game with 3d graphical interface than I think Meridian 59 which came out first in 96’ would hold the title of “most original”. Nexus was also released in 96’ and became a huge success in South Korea. UO (97’) and Everquest (99’) followed in Meridian’s footsteps. And every game since then has borrowed greatly from the ones who came before. There is more differentiation amongst the smaller number of successful sci-fi based mmorpgs like Anarchy Online and EVE who don’t borrow as heavily from pre-existing mmorpgs.

WARNING: Spelling and grammatical errors intentionally left in document to test for Anal Retentive Trolls.

"The key to wasting time is distraction. Without distractions it's too obvious to your brain that you're not doing anything with it, and you start to feel uncomfortable." - Paul Graham http://paulgraham.com/hs.html

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390
    UO

gamertag - Swaffle House

• Dantes77Dantes77 Member Posts: 106
    What about auto assault, coming out later on this year? That's original, no?
  • CloudinkCloudink Member UncommonPosts: 120

1. EvE
    2. Guild Wars
    3. UO

"It''s like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG''s NGE

I once prayed to God for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

"Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul."
    -Tycho

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

planteside.

no one else tried that before or will again IMO.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• RammurRammur Member Posts: 575

The Realms

Meridian 59

UO

the 3 first online games in the market. and all 3 are still around too.

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

EQ and UO.

UO was the first really MMorpg. It was skill based and heavy on PvP.

EQ was the first 3d MMorpg. It was class based and heavy PvE. It brought large scale raiding to the world.

Both were very unique because they were the pioneers of the market.

Of course, other game have brought much to the genre. I think DAoC brought the best PvP system to MMORPGs, along with siege warfare. It is a very user friendly type of PvP that appeals to the masses much more than full PvP and I am just amazed that no one has tried to copy it in their own game yet.

There are too many other inovations brought to the games to mention, but without UO and EQ I don't think the American MMORPG market would be anywhere near where it is today.

image image