Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Game I ever played 10/10 rating

NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

I have been playing various MMOs for the last 10 years including some of best pay 2 play and free 2 play games on the market but none of them have matched Vindictus for what this game represents. Vindictus takes the best action from platform games and combines it with the replayability and social context of a MMO. What other MMO features hack and slash combat physics and a fully destructable environment. Vindictus takes all the unfun parts out of MMOs and repackages the good parts without the drudgery of solo'ing forever or spending hours LFG.

In Vindictus it is possible to get a perfect group within seconds because all combinations of characters work. You don't have to wait around for a tank or healer because Vindictus features action based combat where you the player is the characters' most important stat. It is not what you play but how you play it that counts in Vindictus. I have seen what is beyond the first boats. Some missions require you to kill the boss without wearing any armor at all. Vindictus rewards players for doing more with less. This is the total oposite of WoW where all that matters is gear score. No, the good players in Vindictus don't brag about their gear score. They brag about hard stuff they killed while wearing nothing.

Advancing through Vindictus reminds me of playing through Goldeneye back in the day and trying to get through all the 007 missions. Those missions were done because they were genuinely hard and players did them because they could and other lesser players could not. It is not such a big deal in a single player game because nobody cared if you beat all the 007 missions but in a MMO this is huge. Social gaming in MMOs means having power over other players to drive advancement. Every MMO out there has a power over others mechanic and most pull it off through either long level grinds or tedious gear grinding and farming. Vindictus doesn't require that type of time investment. A player who plays 1 hour a day can be just as good as the player who plays 12 hours a day. In fact I would wager the player who played 1 hour a day and got all the missions done is better than the player who for player 12 hours. This why Vindictus is the best game ever. It puts the casual and hard core on a truely even field.

Comments

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

The even field you're talking of is ruined by the cash-shop, which will give advantage to those players willing to spend lots of money on the game.

• EtherniaEthernia Member Posts: 104

I guess if you enjoy having to do the same instance over and over, its a great game.

The missions aren't difficult, the harder modes aren't even hard, even when you do it with less people then recommended.

Theres no real challenge to it, comparing it to goldeneye is a pretty big insult to goldeneye. In saying all this, it's still a good hack n slash instanced game, but calling it the best game you have ever played.. wow :|, not even in the top 10 or even 30.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by jrs77

The even field you're talking of is ruined by the cash-shop, which will give advantage to those players willing to spend lots of money on the game.

If your worried about an even field then don't PvP. Other then that, who cares?

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by Ethernia

I guess if you enjoy having to do the same instance over and over, its a great game.

The missions aren't difficult, the harder modes aren't even hard, even when you do it with less people then recommended.

Theres no real challenge to it, comparing it to goldeneye is a pretty big insult to goldeneye. In saying all this, it's still a good hack n slash instanced game, but calling it the best game you have ever played.. wow :|, not even in the top 10 or even 30.

Considering Hero Mode isn't even available, there is no way of knowing if it doesn't make it harder unless your Korean and if so then why you even here? Also most of the people who I know claim the game is no real challenge never even got to White Tyrant. The 2nd easiest boss in the game. We havn't even gotten to see the hard bosses yet, so claiming the game is no challenge just means you haven't seen what the game will have to offer in the future. Even so, as far as MMOs or Online games are conserned I would have to agree at giving this the best game ever played certainly the best free to play game.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

There is no pay 2 win in vindictus. There are only two things sold in the cash shop. Temporary costumes / wigs and boat tokens neither of which effect the ballance of game play. Boat tokens are used to run more missions more often. The big spender is not going to be any better off than the free player other then to brag about having played longer. The cash shop is non-factor in Vindictus advancement.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Novusod

There is no pay 2 win in vindictus. There are only two things sold in the cash shop. Temporary costumes / wigs and boat tokens neither of which effect the ballance of game play. Boat tokens are used to run more missions more often. The big spender is not going to be any better off than the free player other then to brag about having played longer. The cash shop is non-factor in Vindictus advancement.

Silence! All F2P games are pay to win because the angry mob sayeth so!

It's either picking on the genre, or lynching minorities - which would you rather see?

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Vindictus still in Beta?

What makes you think it won't change when it leaves Beta? Do you really think the game could survive and turn a profit selling the items you mentioned? Because, if you do you're simply living in a fantasy world. 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Do the characters gain any power advancement from running boat missions?

If they do then the statement in red is BS, to be frank.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by TheHatter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Vindictus still in Beta?

What makes you think it won't change when it leaves Beta? Do you really think the game could survive and turn a profit selling the items you mentioned? Because, if you do you're simply living in a fantasy world. 

This is the content of the Cash Shop based on what I know and what is in the Korean version. Also, all of Nexon's games contains the same Cash Shop as the original version, with prices adjusted to the NA market. Just quoted what I wrote in a different thread.

'Vindictus Cash Shop will mostly contain Avatar Items, Platinum Coins, Item to revive yourself in Dungeon (works like Platinum coin, you buy a certain amount and can use them until you run out), possibly Potions that offers temporary bonuses to Stats, more Storage Slots, Dyes (I'm not quite sure wether this will be Cash Item or not), possibly an item that let's you reskill your points (not sure either about this one).

This is just speculation but possibly Personal Shops, and players might be allowed to sell their Cash Shop items to other players through in-game currency (Avatars, Dyes, potions) like it is the case with DFO and Mabinogi.'

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Originally posted by vesavius

Do the characters gain any power advancement from running boat missions?

If they do then the statement in red is BS, to be frank.

Vindictus allows players to run 9 boat missions for free everyday with dailly quests to gain 2 more missions by fishing mini game and 3 more missions by turning in seals detication. That is 14 missions for FREE everyday. That is more than enough boat runs for most people. Not to mention off-line AP leveling for casuals.

I say again: The cash shop is non-factor in Vindictus advancement.

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Vindictus allows players to run 9 boat missions for free everyday with dailly quests to gain 2 more missions by fishing mini game and 3 more missions by turning in seals detication. That is 14 missions for FREE everyday. That is more than enough boat runs for most people. Not to mention off-line AP leveling for casuals.

I say again: The cash shop is non-factor in Vindictus advancement.

A few things - Firstly, getting enough seals for three missions involves a lot of rezzing/babysitting low-levelled players, to the point where it's simply not practical to count on, on a daily basis. Secondly, the off-line AP levelling is ridiculously slow, to the point where I'm not quite sure why they bothered including it. 1AP/hour? Even the cheapest, most basic skills cost 30AP. Thirdly, part of "advancement" involves getting somewhere faster. If you can play more missions/day, you can reach the higher levels faster, and have access to better gear and skills. So while I doin't particularly object to the initial suggestions on what cash shop will look like, calling it a "non-factor" is a little ignorant.

And I find it almost suspicious that there's no mention of the gear enhancements in the cash shop inventory. It's almost unthinkable for such a thing to not show up for purchase. Time will tell on that front, I suppose.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

Originally posted by Mehve

Secondly, the off-line AP levelling is ridiculously slow, to the point where I'm not quite sure why they bothered including it. 1AP/hour? Even the cheapest, most basic skills cost 30AP.

It's actually faster than that as your character grows stronger. Raising Meditation also reduce the time by 2 minutes, and intelligence also reduce the time between AP bonus. Sure 1 AP per hour isn't a lot, but it really helps . When most of your skills cost over 90 AP,  that extra AP bonus gained while offline really helps.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

The biggest flaw with this game are the missions ( outside tokens - there is a reason arcades died in the US ) .. They are just way way to short. Grinding 8 minute missions isnt something I want to do.. These action online rpgs ( not an MMO sorry ) need missions that can last up to an hour and the ability for players to join ( or drop out ) in the game at any point. Add that to the token system and you can see why the missions are so short.

I rememer playing PSO where I could start up a game and begin to play by myself and before I got to the Forest Dragon the game would be full. Even if people dropped out of the game someone else could come in and continue through the Caves , Mines and Ruins.. This was 10 years ago and here we are now with Vindictus a game that is full of ridiculously short missions where a party has to be had before even launching the game ( if you want to play with other players ). Not just PSO either..

Going from the Forest all the way down to the Ruins would take hours.. A game that costed me 50$ with the ability to do play as much or as little as I wanted. To get the same amount of play time with Vindictus compared to a single play through of PSO I would have to pay for Plat Tokens which would eventually end up dwarfing the 50$ I put on PSO.

• TyrranosaurTyrranosaur Member UncommonPosts: 284

So, given that this game apparently has a cap on the  free missions per day, would be it a good choice for players with limited time to play? I can manage a couple hours once or twice a week, wondering if that's sufficient; as it stands, I've messed with the game for a few hours and so far haven't encountered any cap in the number of missions, but then I'm only managing a few at a time. Just curious.

Current MMOs: Rift, GW2, Defiance
    Blog: http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com (old school tabletop gaming and more)

Originally posted by Tyrranosaur

So, given that this game apparently has a cap on the  free missions per day, would be it a good choice for players with limited time to play? I can manage a couple hours once or twice a week, wondering if that's sufficient; as it stands, I've messed with the game for a few hours and so far haven't encountered any cap in the number of missions, but then I'm only managing a few at a time. Just curious.

The cap is not per day.  The first area in Vindictus (Perilous Ruins) has no Token fee, meaning that you can run the dungeon over and over again as long as you want. All areas beyond Perilous Ruins (Hoarfrost Hollow, Ainle, and future areas) cost Tokens. Players receive 50 Silver Token every Monday, Thursday and Saturday (Although your total amount of Silver Tokens will never exceed 50). When you run a certain amount of missions, the cost in Token increases by 1, this resets everyday. The basic cost is 2 Silver Token. After 6 missions, the cost is increased to 3 Token, and after 13 missions 4 Tokens.

On to your question, if you have limited play-time, games like VIndictus, Dungeon Fighter Online or Dungeon&Dragon Online are great as they allow you to log in, complete a few dungeons very quickly and log out while still having accomplished something other than just raising your XP bar by 5%. The party system also helps so that you don't end up waiting in town for 2 hours to find just 1 more player :P

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93

Dropped this game when it was imposible for my friends and I to do party missions together because non of us have the 100MB connection apperently required to host a game without lagging to hell and back.

I'ts god damn Borderlands all over again, atleast there's no Gamespy this time, but that still doesn't make it much better.

• ShqipShqip Member Posts: 61

Not even going to read the thread cause the title is enough for me to comment, I checked all info about the game and found out that its not an ongoing world but many small instances that you enter to fight and that is the main let down and made me decide to not even try the game.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Why does it matter if they advance faster?

Guys, in PVP, all stats are standardized, as is gear, so no matter what, you'll be on an equal footing, depending on skill. Nothing in the cash shop can affect PVP.

And in PvE? So what? That means your Team mate will be better. Beyond that, it's been out for months in Korea, and so far there is nothing you can buy that gives you an unfair advantage at all. =/

There are no weapons, no armor, no skills, nothing like that in the Cash Shop, it is purely cosmetic with the exception of Inner armor, which is time-limited, and adds +100 armor, and +10 luk. Do you know what that means? Nothing, you can run this game nearly naked and it doesn't matter. +10 luck? That adds up to a 10% more chance to get a rare item. Boo hoo.

So far nothing game-breaking, and Nexon plans to keep it that way. It is not pay to win. I'm a Lv.38 Lann.  Member of Guilty Pleasures on East, this is the fansite for it:

http://www.xvindictus.com/

And to anyone complaining bout VIndictus not being open world?

Check out the update Korea just got:

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Originally posted by Mkilbride

And to anyone complaining bout VIndictus not being open world?

Check out the update Korea just got:

The video doesn't say much in terms of Open World. In fact it doesn't say anything, there's only a glimpse of what appears to be the world beyond Colhen, but it doesn't last very long.

That said, few things I noticed that I wasn't aware of: Jumping, Crafting Gear by yourself, and the massive AP bonus from 100 to 1000, which is great since 100 is a little low anyway.

Jumping is an emote. You can jump in XE, but XE is much easier, despite being called "Xtreme Edition".  Also, the open areas are open in the sense of a town;' people can wnder around and do stuff int hem, but no combat.

But yes, there alot to do. Some armor can only be crafted, same with weapons.

Originally posted by Mkilbride

Jumping is an emote. You can jump in XE, but XE is much easier, despite being called "Xtreme Edition".  Also, the open areas are open in the sense of a town;' people can wnder around and do stuff int hem, but no combat.

But yes, there alot to do. Some armor can only be crafted, same with weapons.

Doesn't seem like an emote at all to me since the player (Fiona) at 2:23 in the video, jumps and does an air combo attack.

Well then they must be talking about the XE version; I didn't see said attack in the video though.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Not a masively-multiplayer game, which gives it a 0/10 for me.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

MMO? No.

RPG? Not really when player skill replaces the character skill.

At the end of the day, its just an action game and in the world of action games.... there are indefinitely better titles out there.

I was at the Vindictus E3 event/booth. Even got some free shirts and such for the game. Played it before it was out. They definitely are pushing the marketing side of it and trying desperately to push the quality of these f2p titles... but its still just that and they have a long ways to go.