Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are WoW's non-combat game features?

It looks like I will be trying WoW here in a few days and I was wondering... What kind of things can you do in the world outside of quests? can you collect materials for item making? farm? anything like that? how deep is the game in that regard?

Also, for someone starting out, which expansion packs would you reccomend purchasing? (That is of course if I like the trial.)

Comments

• ZaovrantarZaovrantar Member Posts: 85

Wow is a combat orientated MMO, like most of the bunch.

Even in EVE all you do is collect money and then spend it on PvP, with the risk of losing it and collecting again.

You can level on gathering professions since patch 4.01 at 40 Exp per per activity for a mid range character.

But I doubt you'll have the guts to go to level 80 with mining or picking herbs.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Well... lets see here...

Fishing - Not the most exciting thing in the world. :)

Herbalism - Picking herb nodes.

Mining - Picking rock nodes (Strange how picking can be used in both places).

Soon Archaeology

Crafting in general - Not the most in depth system out there, but it can be a fun little thing to do on the side. I hear they are adding a lot of recipes to the lower end as well to make it more worthwhile.

Achievements - There are so many little things you can accomplish in this area. Many of them involve combat, but many don't.

Seasonal events - Like Christmas, Halloween, Brewfest, etc. They have a bunch of these little things you can do year round.

Guilds - Soon guild levels.

I don't know what you mean by farm. If you are referring to farming mats for things, yes, this happens a lot in this game. If you are talking about LotRO style farming or FFXI style growing, then no, it has no system similar to that.

It's mostly a combat oriented game. If you don't like combat or getting gear, then this game is likely not for you. At least when compared to some other MMORPGs. This game is highly centered around PvE and PvP. There might be some really laid back guilds on the RP servers if you are interested in RP. You could go and check their forums for more advice on that.

• jakebaker13jakebaker13 Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Zaovrantar

Even in EVE all you do is collect money and then spend it on PvP, with the risk of losing it and collecting again.

You can level on gathering professions since patch 4.01 at 40 Exp per per activity for a mid range character.

But I doubt you'll have the guts to go to level 80 with mining or picking herbs.

HAHA no I was just curious if there where any worthwhile things to do outside of combat. When I played guild wars I really enjoyed collecting the items to make a new piece of armor. Can you barter with other players in WoW like in Guild Wars. 

Originally posted by jakebaker13

HAHA no I was just curious if there where any worthwhile things to do outside of combat. When I played guild wars I really enjoyed collecting the items to make a new piece of armor. Can you barter with other players in WoW like in Guild Wars. 

They have an auction house. And they also have a trade chat channel to make it easy to trade directly with people.

• MertzaSkertzMertzaSkertz Member UncommonPosts: 161

Originally posted by colddog04

Originally posted by jakebaker13

They have an auction house. And they also have a trade chat channel to make it easy to trade directly with people.

Ohhhh! So that is what trade chat is for...

Well I gotta be honest... I am really looking forwards to giving this a try. If I do like it and decide to buy it, should I buy any of the expansion packs?

Originally posted by MertzaSkertz

Ohhhh! So that is what trade chat is for...

Anal Searing Pain 

• RdlabanRdlaban Member UncommonPosts: 396

You have achivements! 

And professions as mention before. But check out engie as a profession!

• kaeljaerenkaeljaeren Member UncommonPosts: 20

It can destroy your social life. I wouldn't pick up WoW now. I played it three times in the past, frist time I made it to level 20 before I got sick of it, next time around to level 40 and third and final time twice to level 80. I realized that leveling was the only satisfactory thing in the game, once you hit level 80 the game is basically over. Then you spend all your time doing the same damn thing over and over again to get better gear, to what use? so you can get even better gear later. This just never ends. PvP is the same, you PvP do get better gear so you can PvP easier and get even better gear.

I would hold for GW2, go find yourself a girlfriend meanwhile.

Originally posted by kaeljaeren

It can destroy your social life. I wouldn't pick up WoW now. I played it three times in the past, frist time I made it to level 20 before I got sick of it, next time around to level 40 and third and final time twice to level 80. I realized that leveling was the only satisfactory thing in the game, once you hit level 80 the game is basically over. Then you spend all your time doing the same damn thing over and over again to get better gear, to what use? so you can get even better gear later. This just never ends. PvP is the same, you PvP do get better gear so you can PvP easier and get even better gear.

I would hold for GW2, go find yourself a girlfriend meanwhile.

That actually sounds perfect for me. I have a health condition that makes having a social life all but impossible. So after I get done playing through The Witcher, the S.A.L.K.E.R. games, and New Vegas I am going to dedicate my life to WoW. 

I said goodbye to my social life two years ago and I have learned to accept it.

BTW I wasn't looking for pity, just saying that the reasons you stated the game may be a bad choice are acctually good points for me.