Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Rankings

JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

So I'm a little confused about the rankings on the front page.  Are they not updated daily?  Here is what is troubling.  I see that Guild Wars is now added and has a 9.2  Then I look at all of he other games that are listed and they all droped by .5 points.  When I went and looked at the games the most recent comments were all positive. 

So here is what I am wondering.  Does somehow the addition of a new game make the system lower the rankings of other games?  Has it not been keeping an accurate result and now that a new game is added the other scores are adjusted?  Or is it the every Guild War fanboi has not only ranked there game a 10, but ranked every other game a 1 but didn't leave any comments about the other games?  I just do nto see how games that were stable on increasing their ratings drop basically over night. 

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

My guess ... they kicked out all the flame (all 1) and fanboi (all 10) ratings.

Guild Wars is new and hyped and there are few ratings yet, presumably from supporters. Will soon change to a more normal rating.

Have fun

Erillion

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

My view on rankings on front page is:
    Below 7.0 average is total crap.
    7.1-9.0 average is a good game
    9.1+ can be a good game but if its just realesed it could be just hype/first impressions.

After 4 months or so the ratings would be fair (as in "hardcore" players have played for 4 months & have seen also high-end content).

So take the ratings with a grain of salt.

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

I interpet it to mean the Guildwars fanbois gave their game high scores and dumped on the other games. Which is what happens every time a new game comes out.
    Those scores are meaningless, they may as well take that off the front page and put in another add.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Well if anything proves how silly their rating system is this does LOL.. This isnt a bad game but definately nowhere near the best out there and i'd venture to say its not even a mmorpg but more a mmog. There is a difference.. this isnt mmog.com afterall.

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Originally posted by Copeland
    Well if anything proves how silly their rating system is this does LOL.. This isnt a bad game but definately nowhere near the best out there and i'd venture to say its not even a mmorpg but more a mmog. There is a difference.. this isnt mmog.com afterall.

On that note - I wonder if they'll add PSO BB to the site.

• leipurileipuri Member Posts: 559
    Definately something odd happen to wow and it dropped quite few points suddenly. Not that I even play wow, but doubt it would drop so fast normally.
  • JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by spookytooth
    Originally posted by Copeland
    On that note - I wonder if they'll add PSO BB to the site.

Well according to http://www.mmorpg.com/faq.cfm/showFaq/4 it is "Game must support 500+ players in a single world" that made Guild Wars qualify as an mmorpg when its really not. If Diablo2 had a graphical chat instead of text only it too would be on mmorpg.com .

PSO:BB should have qualified on the same grounds as Guild Wars really.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

I wasn't so concerned about if Guild Wars deserves it rating or not, but why in a 24 hour period did it get posted and every other game plummet.  I mean with so many votes already recorded for the other games, it just seemed very unlikely that the other games would suddenly drop.

It is not as though I take the rating seriously, but when every other game drops .5 points when a new game is posted makes me think that either it wasn't updated or the 200+ guild war fanbois went and ranked every other game a 1. 

• NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

We had a whole discussion on this same thing when EQ2 was launched. The rankings are not straight averages, they have some formula that gives them a curve in the ratings to seperate them out a bit. The reason that was given is because every game would eventually fall into the same average and they wanted there to be a noticeable difference. This game, like every other, will eventually settle into where it belongs, until then, it rides the "new release" hype. ::::06::

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

I didnt play GW yet, so I wont rate it...my only friend who play it seriously so far really dont like it...

I will try it myself, eventually...then I will rate it...maybe after a few days like all folks here.

And fanbois are prolly giving it high scores, normal for a few release!

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren