Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CEO says ".. if they think it’s irredeemable, there’s no future for it. "

CEO Yoichi Wada spent some time addressing the investors about FF14 and warned them that if the players that left the game think it's irredeemable, there's no future for it. 

CEO Yoichi Wada addressing investors.

He seems to be fully aware of the colossal failure that is the launch of FF14. 

" He also admitted that FF11 player numbers have remained stable and that they seem not to be migrating to FF14 in significant numbers. "

Wada acknowledges the release sorely disappointed the expectations of fans, but gives the obligatory message of hope that the game can be patched into a state where it can be salvaged.

Users seem to agree – in thinking the game is irredeemable. The latest figures for average server populations:

Not looking to good.  Even the CEO is bracing himself. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
"The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

Comments

• SyaoranLiSyaoranLi Member UncommonPosts: 16

In one month they are back to the levels of the head-start. That is never a good sign. They might want to give everyone another 30 days free just so people can try the November patch.

Here is hoping they can bring the game to a decent state by the time the PS3 version comes. Hopefully S-E has learned from this.Actually listen to the playerbase in alpha-beta and don't keep a conceited attitude about thinking you know what is the best for the game.

Never rush a product to release when you have a majority of testers screaming for you to delay the game and fix the massive problems.

• wizyear2099wizyear2099 Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by SyaoranLi

In one month they are back to the levels of the head-start. That is never a good sign. They might want to give everyone another 30 days free just so people can try the November patch.

Here is hoping they can bring the game to a decent state by the time the PS3 version comes. Hopefully S-E has learned from this.Actually listen to the playerbase in alpha-beta and don't keep a conceited attitude about thinking you know what is the best for the game.

Never rush a product to release when you have a majority of testers screaming for you to delay the game and fix the massive problems.

SE is too rich to learn anything from "scum peons" ahahah "bow down this is our game" - take these 60' more days an get in line! XD

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Is that 32789 total players or do we need to multiply with some factor?

30K total users is rediculous no, even for FFXIV?

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

Best example so far for me........nice gfx and a gameplay with lots of flaws = fail.

wow = good gameplay and bad gfx = win

Company's still dont get it dont they......the gameplay matters, not the gfx.

One of the better examples is also Minecraft.......(very) bad gfx and good gameplay = win

if this minecraft wasnt all about mining it would be my next UO.

yeah i know its called MINEcraft but imagine the same concept of crafting in a game that is more then mining and building.......that would be awesome.

feel bad for the fans of FF series tough

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by Seffren

Each little box is a server.  Add each number in the tower of boxes and it gives you the total playing.  The averages of each daily server population are what's shown with the line.  This takes into account all servers across all data points.  The striking thing about this is how quickly it's happening.  Insane. 

whats up with these "if it has less then a million users it fails!" crap?

Imho a community can be a succes with 25K + people loaded on 1 or 2 servers.....i realy do :)

• wizyear2099wizyear2099 Member UncommonPosts: 310

yea thats about $360,000+ per month for them ^^ ill take that plz lol

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

The game is not irredimeable........................they just need to change that ridicoulus UI.

The Console UI is a game breaker for many people who play on a PC, how difficult it is to understand that?

I know that the game has also some design and content issues, but personally the UI is the biggest issue.

I just gave up after 2 hours of playing because of it, so I didn't have the chance to play the game properly because the developers thought it was cool to force people who always uses a keyboard to use a gamepad instead................sorry it ain't gonna happens

Just change the UI for starters, that would be a big step ahead already

Originally posted by ste2000

The game is not irredimeable........................they just need to change that ridicoulus UI.

The Console UI is a game breaker for many people who play on a PC, how difficult it is to understand that?

I know that the game has also some design and content issues, but personally the UI is the biggest issue.

I just gave up after 2 hours of playing because of it, so I didn't have the chance to play the game properly because the developers thought it was cool to force people who always uses a keyboard to use a gamepad instead................sorry it ain't gonna happens

why not add a "pc" ui and let people choose witch one they want to use at startup?

This way everybody is happy no?

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Originally posted by choujiofkono

Each little box is a server.  Add each number in the tower of boxes and it gives you the total playing.  The averages of each daily server population are what's shown with the line.  This takes into account all servers across all data points.  The striking thing about this is how quickly it's happening.  Insane. 

I'm pretty sure that's number of users that were online when the numbers were taken, not total number of players, no? Out of curiousity, what was the original link where the chart came from?

EDIT: Answered one of my own questions. :P

• sultharsulthar Member Posts: 298

Originally posted by sloeber

Originally posted by ste2000

why not add a "pc" ui and let people choose witch one they want to use at startup?

This way everybody is happy no?

People that wanted a better UI already left for most of them. Now they need to put some endgame to atleast keep the fanboys in the game.  If they can do both at same time they might get a population raise.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Imho a community can be a succes with 25K + people loaded on 1 or 2 servers.....i realy do :)

Which would be relevant, were it not that they seem to have 18 servers.

I guess they'lle be merging the lowest populated ones soon (Which would be smart).

I'm not saying that. Where did I say that?

Thing is I'm very surprised by these low numbers because FF has a very loyal following.

In regards to the community being a success with 25k, that is absolutely true. But we also need to look at the ecomic side of things. I don't know the development cost of FFXIV but I have a creepy suspicion that 25K might not cut it to get a return on investment fast enough. (I'm just assuming here).

• LukekiniLukekini Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by GTwander

I love how when people get butthurt over a poor launch they take it upon themselves to inform the masses about it like some kind of superhero.

*I'd link a pic of Captain Hindsight, but even with my superior powers of Google-fu, I have failed to find one*

Well hind sight has nothing to do with this. People have said for months before the official release that this game was a failure if released at the date given at that time.

This is  a forum where people post opinions, news, updates. Butthurt people have the same right to discuss these things and show their opinion. Like one opinion would be it seems your butthurts a bit more when people make these posts?

As for the game? Its too bad really.

- ya I'm here

• QuakeQuake Member UncommonPosts: 20

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Lukekini

Like one opinion would be it seems your butthurts a bit more when people make these posts?

Less of an opinion, and more of an astute observation. I totally hate armchair economists and the like, especially ones fueled by a 50$ investment they felt didn't live up to their standards.

This is why I don't buy games at launch. Have we not learned our lesson or what? Is it going to take another 4+ years of proof that MMOs always suck at launch to finally have it sink in?

I look forward to GW2 and SW:ToR's launch though, the drama is always fun to watch, but when someone tries to push numbers and investor quotes, I tend to shut it out as total crap. Because it usually is.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

As for the game? Its too bad really.

Exactly.  There is no winners.  The company loses, the players lose and we get a fine example of how not to develop a game.  Let alone MMO game.  The best thing to take away from this is the lesson they will learn and teach to the entire game industry.  Good lesson.  It just sucks so many folks had to pay out of pocket for it. 

• MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93

I'm not saying that. Where did I say that?

Thing is I'm very surprised by these low numbers because FF has a very loyal following.

In regards to the community being a success with 25k, that is absolutely true. But we also need to look at the ecomic side of things. I don't know the development cost of FFXIV but I have a creepy suspicion that 25K might not cut it to get a return on investment fast enough. (I'm just assuming here).

They've already said it would take several years to make back the investments going by the population numbers from FF11.

Seeing as it has nowhere near that yet...well...

Always a shame to see a AAA contender do this poorly.

Like one opinion would be it seems your butthurts a bit more when people make these posts?

Less of an opinion, and more of an astute observation. I totally hate armchair economists and the like, especially ones fueled by a 50$ investment they felt didn't live up to their standards.

This is why I don't buy games at launch. Have we not learned our lesson or what? Is it going to take another 4+ years of proof that MMOs always suck at launch to finally have it sink in?

I look forward to GW2 and SW:ToR's launch though, the drama is always fun to watch, but when someone tries to push numbers and investor quotes, I tend to shut it out as total crap. Because it usually is.

You could also just ignore these threads, and make it easier on yourself, but you didn't ... makes me wonder your intentions.

You could also just ignore these threads, and make it easier on yourself, but you didn't ... makes me wonder your intentions.

My intentions are similar to holding up a mirror so that people can get a good look at how they are approaching these kinds of things, but in the end all they see is Brad Pitt in the reflection. Go fig.

My intentions are similar to holding up a mirror so that people can get a good look at how they are approaching these kinds of things, but in the end all they see is Brad Pitt in the reflection. Go fig.

Ok, so from now on we will consult you before creating threads, and be sure to get your approval on the topics.

Ok, so from now on we will consult you before creating threads, and be sure to get your approval on the topics.

Make sure my secretary gets it at least 48 hours prior to posting.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

This might be a good time for them to shut down the game with the promise of revamping the game majorly for a much further future release.

Originally posted by seniorfrito

This might be a good time for them to shut down the game with the promise of revamping the game majorly for a much further future release.

Well there is allready a rumor that the pc release is nothing more then a payed beta for the console one.

Originally posted by seniorfrito

Bad idea imo.

The problem is with crappy launches is that the vast majority of players aren't willing to give them a second chance, ever. Add to that a red flag like "taking the game down to re-release it" and you'll find even more aren't willing to so much as take a second glance at it.

It does fall down to them not pushing enough out at the gate, but even more so from players not expecting this to happen... much like it has from every MMO launch, ever. After how many times this is happened I still can't believe people expect perfection in the first month.

< Still waiting on FFXIV, and will be for quite some time.