Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player: Tortage vs. the rest of the world?

XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

As per the title... per a suggestion here, I've been playing this game for a few days--have a Necro at 6, demo at 9, HoX at 3, and ToS at 5 (I like Stygia...).  And I love it.  The game is beautiful, but aside from that it's very, very responsive (something no other game besides WOW has done for me, and I really don't know how to express it in technical terms: when I press the button, the character does what I say immediately.  LOTRO really let me down on that end), and I love the systems for the classes I've tried so far.

But I've only played on Tortage Island (on the Wiccana server, incidentally).  I haven't seen many people, but that didn't surprise me for the level range I'm in (not to mention half of my gaming time so far has been instanced).  It seems the game has a lot to offer, but I realize that the intro island, especially in the era of unlimited trials, is meant to sell the game.

Is the rest of the game this good?  Is it worth a sub?  Is the community strong, and more importantly, is it going to last?  I realize asking this here is a lot like asking the Ozzy fan club if he's any good after hearing a song by him, but I'm hoping for some realistic appraisals by people who've made the investment and come out on the other end--for better or worse.

If I drop money on this game right now, will I regret it in a month?  Why or why not?  And if not, can you direct me to a pleasant guild on Wiccana?  And for that matter, tell me which one of these classes is best for a beginner (to the game; I'm an MMO vet), and also if my later level demo pets will tank for me (I've read that necro pets don't and aren't intended to, but haven't found anything one way or the other on demos).

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Edit: Also, I just have to say.... God DAMN that music is phenomenal.  First time I can EVER remember playing an MMO and not immediately turning the in-game music off.  Go figure.

Peace and safety.

Comments

• lkc673lkc673 Member Posts: 149

Hi

at the current state of the game i think it is worth it because theres tons to do, find a decent guild in your server recommend wic for pve but theres pvp as well for sieges. New patch coming out soon with more stuff in it focus more on community stuff. Have played the game for a while. The expansion is a bit of a grind but its okay because theres lots of 6 man to do but finding group a bit hard unless your in a good guild active guild. theres pug for raids for t1 and t2 now days so u can gear up pretty easily.

As for a hint play a healing class or tank class always needed for group stuff. Planinig to stay until GW2 comes out. CBB to answer all of the questions you have haha. its worth it i say

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Xhieron

Edit: Also, I just have to say.... God DAMN that music is phenomenal.  First time I can EVER remember playing an MMO and not immediately turning the in-game music off.  Go figure.

If you find Tortage's music impressive, wait till you reach the Cimmerian regions like the Eiglopeian Mountains, here are some samples:

Cimmeria 1

Cimmeria 2

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

Originally posted by Xhieron

As per the title... per a suggestion here, I've been playing this game for a few days--have a Necro at 6, demo at 9, HoX at 3, and ToS at 5 (I like Stygia...).  And I love it.  The game is beautiful, but aside from that it's very, very responsive (something no other game besides WOW has done for me, and I really don't know how to express it in technical terms: when I press the button, the character does what I say immediately.  LOTRO really let me down on that end), and I love the systems for the classes I've tried so far.

You just summed up some reasons why people play this game.

But I've only played on Tortage Island (on the Wiccana server, incidentally).  I haven't seen many people, but that didn't surprise me for the level range I'm in (not to mention half of my gaming time so far has been instanced).  It seems the game has a lot to offer, but I realize that the intro island, especially in the era of unlimited trials, is meant to sell the game.

Tortage is a breaktrough in how to introduce someone to new MMO world, as its focus on storytelling goes beyond many other games I have played before (of MMOs) The more known from of MMO gameplay starts at the 10-20 some, and seriously starts @ lvl 20+ Several beautiful areas wait you beyond Tortage.

Is the rest of the game this good?  Is it worth a sub?  Is the community strong, and more importantly, is it going to last?  I realize asking this here is a lot like asking the Ozzy fan club if he's any good after hearing a song by him, but I'm hoping for some realistic appraisals by people who've made the investment and come out on the other end--for better or worse.

I have been subbed since 2008, so I wll let that speak for itself. Community is what you make of it, and depends on involving yourself in a local guild. Check the server forums, and chat some, but be aware that most players are in the higher levels, but many have alts in the lower lvls.

If I drop money on this game right now, will I regret it in a month?  Why or why not?  And if not, can you direct me to a pleasant guild on Wiccana?  And for that matter, tell me which one of these classes is best for a beginner (to the game; I'm an MMO vet), and also if my later level demo pets will tank for me (I've read that necro pets don't and aren't intended to, but haven't found anything one way or the other on demos).

If you like Tortage, and feel like you want to experience more, then go for it. You will always need to discovcer these things for yourself. My first class was a BS, and its a little hell 1-25, but gets better post 25++ Strong meelee healer.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Your welcome!

Music in this game is above all expectations, brace yourself for goosebumps as you discover the world.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

I got the game early last year and played a Stygian Necro up to level 28 before I stopped playing. A couple of hours ago, I redownloaded and started a new Aquilonian Assassin. I'm hoping the leveling in Aquilonia is more interesting to me than Stygia, as it was a lack of interest that caused me to quit.

Anywho, regarding the topic, I must warn you that the gameworld at large is not fully voiced like Tortage. Some NPCs are, but a majority of them are not. This isn't a bad thing per se, but it does present a bit of a system shock after spending your beginning hours in Tortage. Other than that, I can't really comment as I've never gotten very far in the game.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• angrymimeangrymime Member Posts: 154

The game is actually very good as long as you still have new content to explore.  Once you get to the point where you're tracking announced dates for new patches/content and have to deal with repeated failures to deliver by Funcom, you may swear to never buy another Funcom product again as I have.  It's just not worth the aggravation.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

My experience was based on starting this game way after all the disgruntled individuals who were not happy with launch, but still about a year ago or so except for testing out Tortage this week lol. Anyway:

Pros:

1) Very polished game.

2) One of the better PVE Games out there (I did not try the PVP, as I played Warhammer and tested Aion for that).

3) Very good graphics for a MMO, though I liked the art style of LOTRO better.

4) Excellent animations for an MMO.

5) Fantastic Classes to choose from.

6) More then enough content (even without trying the new expansion.

7) I found the community very helpful. I was in a pretty big guild, I think fellowship of souls. They were very nice in general.

8) A couple of dungeons I played were some of the best I have ever seen in an MMO.

8) Good story and voiceovers in Tortage.

Cons (for me)

1) Good story and voiceovers in Tortage, because that was basically gone for me after tortage. The game was still very polished, I loved the graphics, the style, the classes, the combat, but I just didn't feel attached to the story. It just didn't make me feel a part of something bigger the way LOTRO did. I found myself ignoring the quest text more and more and not really caring about what I was doing.

2) DX 10 I believe back then was not polished enough and caused big slow downs..and at that time my PC was near the top of the line with an Nvidia GTX 280 card.

3) If you didn't like the loading screens when playing EQ2, this is worse. It broke the immersion for me. Since you are loving Tortage which has loading screens left and right, then for you it may  not be a big deal which is great.

4) Getting a group together that are all on your level and balanced without needing help from some over powered helper can be VERY difficult in non peak times. I really wish they had a Dungeon Finder similar to WOW.

5) HORRIBLE tech support when trying to analyze why this was the only MMO I played that had some wierd stutter sound when other NPCs passed by while I was walking. They basically wouldn't help me since their answer is that there are too many sound cards out there and we dont test all of them. That is why I logged in this week. I was curious to see if the sound was still there. Yup, it was lol.

This is a very good game, just wasn't for me long term due to what I mentioned above. LOTRO kept me much longer due to the world I was playing in, despite the stiff animations.

There Is Always Hope!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I enjoy the game alot. I played Aion for almost a year and felt immensely happier playing AoC, wishing I didn't waste the time on Aion.

I also found that the Set server is more populated.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by eyelolled

I enjoy the game alot. I played Aion for almost a year and felt immensely happier playing AoC, wishing I didn't waste the time on Aion.

I also found that the Set server is more populated.

ahhh, that was the name of the server I was on, I forgot lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

this is one of the best PvE mmo out right now and last time i checked you could buy for 20$. you just can't go wrong for that kind fo money.

if you have a computer that can run it smoothly on high graphic settings this game is just amazing. from  graphics to sound to interesting quests to dungeons to brutal gore it's an extremely well done game, as long as you like low fantasy that is. wile pvp is extremely gear dependent and can be very frustrating (rather complicated) the PvE is on par if not better then most mmos out there. 

the only dows sides of AoC is all the instancing and the fact that any lag or slow internet can seriously frustrated the heck out of your pvping.

still, a must for any mmo enthusiast.