Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vangaurd=Old game that got put down by lawsuit.

VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

i remember this back a while ago, microsoft was flushed with the release of the Xbox that they decided to make  MMO. this was called MYTHICA, and mythica got put down for copyright infringements because it was basically a memorex copy of DAOC, and mythic won the lawsuit and the game was put to sleep.

now i hear microsoft is behind a MMO, that looks like mythica with a little bit less of copyright infringements.

please tell me does this not make sense?????

but anyways im still looking forward to it now that theyeve got the original makers of EQ involved.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

Comments

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

lol I'd have to disagree. If anything Mythica was more like Guild Wars. While Vanguard is more like EQ before SOE took over.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• GichinGichin Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Vampyr

i remember this back a while ago, microsoft was flushed with the release of the Xbox that they decided to make  MMO. this was called MYTHICA, and mythica got put down for copyright infringements because it was basically a memorex copy of DAOC, and mythic won the lawsuit and the game was put to sleep.
    now i hear microsoft is behind a MMO, that looks like mythica with a little bit less of copyright infringements.
    please tell me does this not make sense?????
    but anyways im still looking forward to it now that theyeve got the original makers of EQ involved.

I thought the intellectual property case was a trademark case rather than copyright infringement.  If I recall correctly, it focused on the name of the game, but I could be remembering wrong now ...
  • VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by Roin

lol I'd have to disagree. If anything Mythica was more like Guild Wars. While Vanguard is more like EQ before SOE took over.

u didnt pay attention to the lawsuit did you????

it basically said that they copied DAOC, with only changing some names slightly in some cases.

mythica had three realms, and was in all fassets identical to DAOC.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• DrimacusDrimacus Member Posts: 82

Is that what happened to Mythica? I remember there being some sort of lawsuit, but I thought that game looked terrible anyway...

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

Actually Mythic took Microsoft to court because Mythica was too similar to their company name. Mythic of course won. However, Mythica was canceled for numerous other reasons, the court case might've had a part in it, but it wasn't the entire cause. Mythica wasn't a direct "copy" of DAoC. Mythic simply thought the name Mythica was misleading to customers.

• ZoLeNZoLeN Member Posts: 3

Actually Mythic filed a lawsuit against Microsoft becuase of trademark infrigments...

Mythica...

Mythic...

they sued becuase the NAMES were similar... read the press releases on Mythic website!!!

• DrimacusDrimacus Member Posts: 82

Yeah, I was going to say that Mythica did not look even remotely similar to DAoC. But the name problem does ring a bell.

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Mythic didn't win any suit, it was dropped because MS dropped Mythica (and I doubt they would have won anyway). Vanguard was in the works long before Mythica was canceled. Heck, one of the reasons speculated for Mythica's demise was the fact that Vanguard was in the works and MS decided Vanguard had a much better chance of turning a profit for them.

BTW, Vanguard isn't being developed by MS, it is just being distributed by MS. It is being developed by Sigil Games Online (which has an all star cast of game developers).

image image

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by Vampyr
    Originally posted by Roin
    u didnt pay attention to the lawsuit did you????
    it basically said that they copied DAOC, with only changing some names slightly in some cases.
    mythica had three realms, and was in all fassets identical to DAOC.

Apparently, you didn't pay attention mate, the lawsuit was reguarding the use of the name "Mythica" which resembled too much the name of the company that made DAoC called Mythic.
    The following is from an article from Gamespot:

...........While specific terms were not revealed, Mythic said in a statement that "Microsoft has agreed not to use the term 'Mythica' or a number of derivations of that term in connection with future online computer games." Microsoft also agreed to drop a pending application to register Mythica as a trademark.

When the suit was filed, Microsoft was deep in the development of an MMORPG titled "Mythica." In the complaint, Mythic alleged that the game's title and prerelease publicity infringed on Mythic's name, constituted unfair competition, and caused "confusion, mistake, [and] deception among consumers."

As it turned out, Mythica was ultimately canceled by Microsoft Games Studio in February, but the suit was not immediately dropped.

Mythica folded for the simple reason, that Microsoft devs didn't have any clue on how to make an MMO.
    The game was just in Beta and it was already outdated.
    Mythic lawsuit was just the last straw, but the game was doomed since the begining.

This time Microsoft has little to do with Vanguard, except they finance and pubblish the the game.
    Sigil has pretty much blank sheets and its team is quite experenced as you admitted.

So look forward for this one and don't make the involvement of Microsoft put you off ::::39::

• KethricKethric Member Posts: 5

The lawsuit and termination of "Mythica" was not about content. It was about the name of the game. Mythic (publishers of DAoC) went to court and said the name "Mythica" made it sound like the game came from them when it actually came from Microsoft. They sued on a "Trademark Infringement" basis. So MS ended the game because of the name, not because of "similar content." How many of these games could live long if someone could sue over "similar content"?

I have to admit, it would be kind of funny to see the SoE lawyers, the Mythic lawyers, and the Turbine lawyers all gather in court and duke it out over the content. I wonder how many of them would bane their briefcases before trial image